Has anyone done DIY anal gland expression?

+4
Inez Maria
Mia05
-Ian-
Scoobster
8 posters

Go down

Has anyone done DIY anal gland expression? Empty Has anyone done DIY anal gland expression?

Post by Scoobster Wed Nov 26 2014, 13:30

My Scooby has been dragging his bum about the last few days and keeps trying to bite or naw his bum - especially straight after having a poo.

I've read that this is most likely because his anal glands haven't emptied.

I'm not squeamish in the slightest so had a quick feel for the glands (externally) and could feel what felt like two slightly swollen glands either said of his anus.

I've also read some guides on how to express the glands but still have some questions on this procedure...

1 - How hard should I be massaging the glands? I don't want to hurt him or damage the glands.
2 - I know that I must be patient doing this - but how long until I give up trying (if nothing comes out)?

Plus any other handy tips any of you can give would be much appreciated Smile

I'm planning on giving this a go tonight.... wish me luck.
Scoobster
Scoobster
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Scooby
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 12

Back to top Go down

Has anyone done DIY anal gland expression? Empty Re: Has anyone done DIY anal gland expression?

Post by -Ian- Wed Nov 26 2014, 13:41

It's not something i've done. Personally I would let the vet show me how if I was to do it, for fear of doing something wrong.

Staffy-Bull-Terrier Online Community
Meet the forum staff - Who's Who
Please read the forum rules - Click Here.

Has anyone done DIY anal gland expression? B110
-Ian-
-Ian-
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Anything, she's Deaf !
Dog(s) Ages : RIP Flo
Dog Gender(s) : Girl
Support total : 2862

Back to top Go down

Has anyone done DIY anal gland expression? Empty Re: Has anyone done DIY anal gland expression?

Post by Mia05 Wed Nov 26 2014, 17:22

Not something ive done either ud be best with the vet. Also a sign of a dog dragging their bum on the floor the dog has worms

Has anyone done DIY anal gland expression? B310
Mia05
Mia05
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Moderator

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Mia
Dog(s) Ages : 2005-2016 rip mia
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 1317

Back to top Go down

Post by Scoobster Wed Nov 26 2014, 17:39

I doubt it worms because he up to date on his worming shots, and does not appear to have any visible on his stools or around his anus.

He does however, have what feels like two swollen glands either side of his anus which suggest an issue with his anal glands.

Plus he only ever scoots straight after a poo and seems a little sensitive as soon as my hand goes anywhere near his bum (a natural reaction probably haha).
Scoobster
Scoobster

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Inez Maria Wed Nov 26 2014, 19:44

Inez Maria
Inez Maria

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Vinnie
Dog(s) Ages : 11/08/2011
Support total : 2596

Back to top Go down

Post by stella Wed Nov 26 2014, 19:50

may be let your vet do it the first time and ask if its ok if they show you the best way to do it Smile
stella
stella

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : sasha
Dog(s) Ages : 15years RIP
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 1747

Back to top Go down

Post by Scoobster Thu Nov 27 2014, 09:21

Thanks for the replies guys.

I've already done a lot of reading on this issue so am quite clued up as to what they are, why they get blocked etc.

However, he seemed ok last night and no scooting this morning either which was when he was doing it the most, so fingers crossed, he's sorted himself out Smile
Scoobster
Scoobster

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Thu Nov 27 2014, 13:27

Useful video in the link below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8Cr1MQaGHc
Kathy
Kathy
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Scoobster Fri Nov 28 2014, 09:53

Ok, had a go at doing it myself last night. Scooby seemed quite clam while I was doing this but after about 5 mins of moderate massaging the glands, only a tiny bit of clearish fluid came out - nowhere near the amount you see in the videos anyway.

Having said that, since then, there has been no scooting but if he does start again, then I'll just take him to the vets to be done.

I'm most likely not pressing hard enough but I dont want to hurt the poor little fella.
Scoobster
Scoobster

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Scoobster Tue Dec 09 2014, 09:32

Thought I'd give a little update on this for anyone out there in a similar position.

Took Scoob to the vets last week and his glands were full, so the vet emptied them using the internal method due to be able to make sure they're fully empty.

Was told that he should be back to normal now with no scooting, but then the next morning he was scooting again and I mean constantly scooting - something was really bothering him.

Took him back and they said that after a couple of weeks scooting and chewing his bum, it did look fairly red and sore so was probably just very itchy. They gave him a steroid injection and sure enough, he has been fine since. Everything looks normal and he hasn't scooted once.

They told me to just check his glands once a month but other than that, he's fine.
Scoobster
Scoobster

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by -Ian- Tue Dec 09 2014, 19:48

Thanks for the update Dan. Sounds like Scooby is a whole lot more comfortable now Big Grin

-Ian-
-Ian-

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Anything, she's Deaf !
Dog(s) Ages : RIP Flo
Dog Gender(s) : Girl
Support total : 2862

Back to top Go down

Post by goldie87 Wed Dec 10 2014, 10:43

Scoobster wrote:My Scooby has been dragging his bum about the last few days and keeps trying to bite or naw his bum - especially straight after having a poo.

Exactly what Zeus does when his glands are full.. when he was on dry food, they'd get full every 2/3 weeks and you'd smell that pongy fishy smell, that's when I knew they needed expressing, but I always took him to the vets for it, couldn't bring myself to do it lol.

Ever since I've moved him onto raw (been about a year now), never had to do it and no more bum rubbing = clean carpet!
goldie87
goldie87

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Zeus
Dog(s) Ages : 12
Support total : 164

Back to top Go down

Post by Scoobster Wed Dec 10 2014, 11:37

goldie87 wrote:
Scoobster wrote:My Scooby has been dragging his bum about the last few days and keeps trying to bite or naw his bum - especially straight after having a poo.

Exactly what Zeus does when his glands are full.. when he was on dry food, they'd get full every 2/3 weeks and you'd smell that pongy fishy smell, that's when I knew they needed expressing, but I always took him to the vets for it, couldn't bring myself to do it lol.

Ever since I've moved him onto raw (been about a year now), never had to do it and no more bum rubbing = clean carpet!

Interestingly, Scoob has been on raw now for two week and it's been going very well. His scooting started a week before we started raw so I knew it had nothing to do with that.

He's loving the raw and I'm hoping it will mean less vet trips now with random allergy issues Smile
Scoobster
Scoobster

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Mia05 Wed Dec 10 2014, 15:06

Glad ur wee poochy is better.

Has anyone done DIY anal gland expression? B310
Mia05
Mia05

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Mia
Dog(s) Ages : 2005-2016 rip mia
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 1317

Back to top Go down

Post by goldie87 Thu Dec 11 2014, 10:25

Scoobster wrote:He's loving the raw and I'm hoping it will mean less vet trips now with random allergy issues Smile

(Touchwood) but that's been the case with me. For Zeus's first two years, I spent almost a grand going back and forth to vets, regarding allergies he kept developing and an insane amount of times he'd get diarrhea/off his food etc. He then got diagnosed with Colitis and had regular flare ups (one every month or two). It was then that I decided enough was enough and I took the plunge to raw. Since then, no allergies, no flare ups and he's looking as healthy as ever (did I say touchwood?!). I'm not saying it's the right fix for everyone but it sure as hell worked for me and Zeus!

Last edited by goldie87 on Thu Dec 11 2014, 12:00; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling)
goldie87
goldie87

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Scoobster Thu Dec 11 2014, 11:08

goldie87 wrote:
Scoobster wrote:He's loving the raw and I'm hoping it will mean less vet trips now with random allergy issues Smile

(Touchwood) but that's been the case with me. For Zeus's first two years, I spent almost a grand going back and forth to vets, regarding allergies he kept developing and an insane amount of times he'd get diarrhea/off his food etc. He then got diagnosed with Colitis and had regular flare ups (one every month or two). It was then that I decided enough was enough and I took the plunch to raw. Since then, no allergies, no flare ups and he's looking as healthy as ever (did I say touchwood?!). I'm not saying it's the right fix for everyone but it sure as hell worked for me and Zeus!  

There are too many people out there with similar stories as yours so a raw diet can't be ignored in my opinion Smile
Scoobster
Scoobster

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Scoobster Tue Dec 16 2014, 13:05

A little update... after a week of no scooting, he's started to scoot again over the last two days.

I checked his glands, and they were fairly large and full Sad

Poor buggar.

I'm going to take him back to the vets again this week and see what they say, but it's not a good sign that they've blocked up again just after a week.
Scoobster
Scoobster

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by goldie87 Tue Dec 16 2014, 20:41

Scoobster wrote:A little update... after a week of no scooting, he's started to scoot again over the last two days.

Poor buggar.

I'm going to take him back to the vets again this week and see what they say, but it's not a good sign that they've blocked up again just after a week.

Based on my experience, if it keeps happening that quick (which it did with Zeus) it's the food.
goldie87
goldie87

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Bane Tue Dec 16 2014, 21:17

Oh no Sad

Goldie what was it about the food that you found blocked him up? Was it pre or post raw?
Bane
Bane

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Bane
Dog(s) Ages : 13th August 2013
Support total : 332

Back to top Go down

Post by Scoobster Wed Dec 17 2014, 11:39

goldie87 wrote:
Scoobster wrote:A little update... after a week of no scooting, he's started to scoot again over the last two days.

Poor buggar.

Based on my experience, if it keeps happening that quick (which it did with Zeus) it's the food.

I'm not sure about this in Scooby's case. He started to do it originally 3 weeks ago, and that was 1 week before we started him on RAW.

Since then, he has only been on raw 100% and seems to be loving it.

If this problem had started after we put him on raw, then I would be inclined to agree with you no doubt.
Scoobster
Scoobster

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down