+5
Jamieb11
Dogface
Debs01
lovemystaffies
Emma and Maisie
9 posters

Go down

Puppy has lots of poops and diarrhoea, help please Empty Puppy has lots of poops and diarrhoea, help please

Post by Emma and Maisie Tue Oct 28 2014, 07:59

Hi advise please as I'm getting confused. My pup Babs was ill last week with sickness and diarrhoea, she was treated by the vet and given medications and some food and all was fine. Slowly introduced her normal food to her again which is wainwrights dried and all seemed ok for a day or two.
Anyway went to a pet shop as I have had such conflicting advise about feeding whether to do raw or better kibble ( as wainwrights is one of the worst apparently). So I bought a small tub of natural instinct raw puppy and have been giving her a tiny amount as a treat a few times a day. She's also been having a small amount of boiled chicken mixed with her dried food. Now yesterday and today she hasn't stopped pooing and they are so smelly and diarrhoea, also lots of it in one go.

I really don't know where to go with the food thing, the wainwrights obviously doesn't really agree with her as she had the sickness and diarrhoea last week. Any help would be fab as I'm a new puppy owner and just want to do my best for her. Thanks
Emma and Maisie
Emma and Maisie
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Babs
Dog(s) Ages : 9 weeks
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 3

Back to top Go down

Puppy has lots of poops and diarrhoea, help please Empty Re: Puppy has lots of poops and diarrhoea, help please

Post by Mia05 Tue Oct 28 2014, 10:11

have u thought of wet food with some dry? slowly introduce the pup by giving them the new food a bit at a time as to not upset their stomach. a check up t the vet may be best to check the pups ok

Staffy-Bull-Terrier Online Community
Meet the forum staff - Who's Who
Please read the forum rules - Click Here.

Puppy has lots of poops and diarrhoea, help please B310
Mia05
Mia05
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Moderator

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Mia
Dog(s) Ages : 2005-2016 rip mia
Support total : 1317

Back to top Go down

Puppy has lots of poops and diarrhoea, help please Empty Re: Puppy has lots of poops and diarrhoea, help please

Post by lovemystaffies Tue Oct 28 2014, 11:20

Whenever mine get the runnies, I put them onto lightly cooked fish, just a bit at a time, then add some cooked rice and keep on this mix until better. (Microwave makes all this v. easy) Then you can start adding some pup food - whether you choose raw, wet or kibble - add only one thing at a time and monitor progress, going back a step if any reaction. Presumably vet treated for worms ?
lovemystaffies
lovemystaffies
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Max and Madge
Dog(s) Ages : 7 and 6
Dog Gender(s) : male female
Support total : 18

Back to top Go down

Post by Debs01 Tue Oct 28 2014, 11:29

I would highly recommend NatureDiet. I started using this about a year ago and haven't looked back. Axl used to have terrible trouble with his skin and he used to toilet up to four times a day. Now his skin is clear, no itching. He poops twice a day and they are very small and solid (sorry for the poop talk!). He also has a glistening coat which everyone comments on and he's loves it! It comes in trays and I'm not sure who much you would give a puppy but there are guidelines on the internet and also you could ask your vet if in doubt. Axl is fully grown and he has one tray a day plus his treats throughout the day.

Oh also it's not that expensive but high quality!
Debs01
Debs01

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Axl
Dog(s) Ages : 3
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 189

Back to top Go down

Post by Dogface Tue Oct 28 2014, 11:50

I wouldn't feed her raw and kibble or raw and cooked, that will very likely cause problems and could well be why she's got diarrhea. It should ideally be one or the other. Either raw or kibble or wet / cooked.

You're probably going to get a lot of different suggestions and mine is to first put her on a diet of either cooked chicken and over-cooked (mushy) white rice, or boiled white fish and rice. Then after a few days, if you want to feed kibble, try Applaws puppy. Quite expensive but very good.

Bo has a sensitive stomach and has some food intolerances and Applaws suited him well as a pup (although he did poo a lot it was solid). Now I feed him adult wet (Lily's Kitchen) which is extremely good quality but with a price to match. Although I've never checked out their puppy food I'd imagine it's very good too, so you might want to check it out.
Dogface
Dogface
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Support Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Support Member

Status Status :

Support total : 124

Back to top Go down

Post by Jamieb11 Tue Oct 28 2014, 12:25

Nothing wrong with Wainwright to be fair

Jamieb11
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Smokey
Support total : 9

Back to top Go down

Post by Hannah&Michael UK Tue Oct 28 2014, 13:42

Sometimes when you change a dogs food with out slowly mixing it with the old it can cause diahoerria, iams is quiet good I found, its a good price in b&m, try slowly introducing her onto that

Hannah&Michael UK
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Puppy has lots of poops and diarrhoea, help please Top_ra10

Status Status :

Support total : 25

Back to top Go down

Post by Mobys mum Tue Oct 28 2014, 15:09

Hi, I feed Moby Lily's kitchen as he had stomach and skin problems and I would highly recommend it. Also think it calmed him down?

Mobys mum

Status Status :

Support total : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by Mia05 Tue Oct 28 2014, 15:34

http://www.naturesmenu.co.uk/puppy-kitten-feeding.aspx
http://www.naturesmenu.co.uk/product-puppy-pouches.aspx

Staffy-Bull-Terrier Online Community
Meet the forum staff - Who's Who
Please read the forum rules - Click Here.

Puppy has lots of poops and diarrhoea, help please B310
Mia05
Mia05

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Mia
Dog(s) Ages : 2005-2016 rip mia
Support total : 1317

Back to top Go down

Post by Bane Thu Nov 06 2014, 22:33

The mix of foods might have upset her tummy and raw can cause diahrea until the stomach adjusts to the raw meat.

I always thought that Wainwrights was a pretty good food. It may be worth another trip to the vet to make sure that everything is ok. Otherwise you need to choose a food and stick to it. Boiled chicken a rice or some plain scrambled egg might help with the runs for a couple of days and then slowly introduce the food you want to feed her.

If you want to feed raw, make sure you do some research first. We feed raw and it has been great and Bane is doing fantastically on it! It just isn't for all pups and a bit of a runny bum is expected at the start.
Bane
Bane
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Bane
Dog(s) Ages : 13th August 2013
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 332

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down