RiV
Dogface
Rachel33
Harleykins
10 posters

Go down

Sleepy She's just getting worse

Post by Harleykins Tue Sep 23 2014, 17:32

I feel like the worst puppy owner ever right now. Harleys biting has gotten 1000% since last night, like I can't be anywhere near her now without getting attacked. In the space of 3 days she's destroyed 3 pairs of leggings, 3 tops and a jacket. 

I feel guilty because I honestly can't play with her, she's just way too much, she's not nipping she's full on biting at any chance she can get. She's chewing her toys for like 2 seconds and then attacking me. 

It's gotten so bad that I've had to put her in her crate just so that I can go into my living room and have a moment of calm, and I swore I'd never use the crate as a punishment.  Sad

EVERYTHING I've tried makes her even more attack-y. I can't get her into training groups for another week either. 

I've tried (all while saying no) - Redirecting her to stuff she can chew, no chew sprays, putting her off the couch, leaving the room, ignoring her, yelping, holding her down (gently), holding her muzzle (gently, and desperation, I know it's not a good thing to do), spray bottles, loads of other stuff that I can't even remember because my brain is fried. 

It's ridiculous, I love her to bits and I know she's a brilliant puppy, biting is literally her only issue, but it's soooo bad there's nothing else happening. I can't even play with my dog. The only time I can get near her is when she's sleeping on my lap. Sad 

Did anyone else experience biting this bad? What worked for you?

Harleykins
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Harley
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Sleepy Re: She's just getting worse

Post by Rachel33 Tue Sep 23 2014, 17:52

Hey! How old is she now?
Rachel33
Rachel33
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Bug (Biscuit)
Dog(s) Ages : 7 ish
Support total : 1012

Back to top Go down

Post by Harleykins Tue Sep 23 2014, 18:29

She's 10 weeks. I feel guilty because I feel like she's had a bad 2 weeks because of me. Sad

Harleykins

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Harley
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Dogface Tue Sep 23 2014, 22:31

Harleykins wrote:
I've tried (all while saying no) - Redirecting her to stuff she can chew, no chew sprays, putting her off the couch, leaving the room, ignoring her, yelping, holding her down (gently), holding her muzzle (gently, and desperation, I know it's not a good thing to do), spray bottles, loads of other stuff that I can't even remember because my brain is fried.

That may be your problem. You need to adopt one method and stick to it, be consistent. No method works in a couple of hours. I couldn't tell you which is the best approach, maybe someone else can, but I know that by constantly doing different things you're confusing your dog and possibly making her worse.

Bo used to nip so I simply rewarded him when he didn't and ignored him when he did. As a puppy he was totally insane. Sometimes he got so crazy he didn't know what he was doing and ended up spinning on his back snapping like a crocodile. He still likes to hold with his mouth when he meets people he likes but he's not nipped since he was about 3 months old.
Dogface
Dogface
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Support Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Support Member

Status Status :

Support total : 124

Back to top Go down

Post by RiV Tue Sep 23 2014, 23:40

Agree with Dogface also make sure others in the house are not playing and letting her bite keep it consistent.

Cheers

RiV
RiV
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Harry
Support total : 36

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 24 2014, 06:24

At that age she isn't attacking but testing boundaries and play biting - as said above be consistent and patient. Reward good behaviour. Is she getting mental stimulation and games like tug or chase around the house before she can get out for her walks?

Back to top Go down

Post by mickey400 Sat Sep 27 2014, 10:34

Hi
I do know what you mean,our pup is now 10 weeks old and has a very similar behaviour ,if your pup has had her jabs take her for long walks(really works for us,she drops a high percentage of her energy) and like others said stick to a routine of how to handle the biting ,we used the children's school water bottle,tiny little squeeze in her face (gentle mind)and she lets go instantly .She has got better and better,worse in the morning as we crate(big one) her due to our house lay out ,she is good as gold about going into the crate mind and see's it as her space,don't give up ,we nearly did as we were use to a Pug,it will get better and the love she brings to us when she is good out weighs the naughty pup times because that all it is ,keep strong.xx

mickey400
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Cassie
Dog(s) Ages : 2 months
Support total : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by Debs01 Sat Sep 27 2014, 12:56

at 10 weeks old she's still just a baby, everything is exciting and new and unfortunately that includes you lol. Don't give up, be consistent as said above choose one method of teaching her not to bite and stick to that method. Remember everything is a game at the moment but it will get better, she will learn and the biting will stop it just seems like an uphill struggle at the moment
Debs01
Debs01
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Moderator

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Axl
Dog(s) Ages : 3
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 189

Back to top Go down

Post by Debs01 Sat Sep 27 2014, 12:57

Just out of interest how old was she when you brought her home?
Debs01
Debs01

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Axl
Dog(s) Ages : 3
Support total : 189

Back to top Go down

Post by Bane Mon Sep 29 2014, 21:48

At 10 weeks, that is a lot of methods to have tried! You need to be consistent with your approach otherwise she won't learn how to react properly to what you are doing. If you tell her no one day, then hold her on the floor the next, she hasn't learnt what either of those things mean.

We would tell Bane no in a stern voice, and if he didn't listen just got up and walked away. They really don't like being ignored so once they realise that biting=no interaction, they stop. Bane was nuts as a puppy and he responded so much better to my OH than me, it would really get me down as he just never listened to me. It just took time Smile
Bane
Bane
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Bane
Dog(s) Ages : 13th August 2013
Support total : 332

Back to top Go down

Post by Simi Tue Sep 30 2014, 20:09

Its normal puppy behaviour and will last a while longer. we have all been there and remember thinking it would never stop but it does
Simi
Simi

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Tallulah
Dog(s) Ages : 21/11/13
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 47

Back to top Go down

Post by lovemystaffies Tue Sep 30 2014, 20:24

As others have said, it's all normal, just be consistent and think to yourself that it wont last, it wont !
lovemystaffies
lovemystaffies
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Max and Madge
Dog(s) Ages : 7 and 6
Dog Gender(s) : male female
Support total : 18

Back to top Go down

Post by JStaff Tue Sep 30 2014, 23:25

RoxysMum wrote:At that age she isn't attacking but testing boundaries and play biting - as said above be consistent and patient. Reward good behaviour. Is she getting mental stimulation and games like tug or chase around the house before she can get out for her walks?

I agree, and consistancy is key. The mental stimulation should help quite a bit and gives you an opportunity for positive reinforcement. If you are getting down on the ground to interact you should stop since this makes her see you as a playmate.
JStaff
JStaff

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Suki
Dog(s) Ages : 5
Support total : 859

Back to top Go down