My pup swallowed a whole chicken wing!

5 posters

Go down

My pup swallowed a whole chicken wing! Empty My pup swallowed a whole chicken wing!

Post by emma8001 Wed Sep 10 2014, 23:45

Hey everyone,

So we've been embarking on this raw feeding, and so far so good. Until last night - I gave one of my dogs (5 month old pup) a chicken wing. I was holding onto the one end of it to ensure she munched and crunched it up before swallowing... unfortunately it was a slippery sucker and she managed to grab it away and swallow it whole before I could grab it back!

She is fine - she spewed up the bone this morning thank god as I was freaking out!

I have read that dogs who have previously been on kibble only diets sometimes forget to chew their food, or have learnt not to bother.

Anyone had any experience with this? Or any ideas on how I can teach her to chew first?! Maybe she will need bigger bones that she'll have to chew first prior to swallowing?
emma8001
emma8001
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

My pup swallowed a whole chicken wing! Empty Re: My pup swallowed a whole chicken wing!

Post by Rachel33 Thu Sep 11 2014, 08:44

Perhaps just feed her bone that has already been ground up into mince etc until she's a little older/experienced so that she's still getting her bone ratio but not doing herself any damage! I've only ever fed lurchers puppies raw and gave them chicken necks for the first 6 months or so, but never had a problem, staffies are a little more impulsive than sight hounds though lol!

Rachel33
Rachel33
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Bug (Biscuit)
Dog(s) Ages : 7 ish
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 1012

Back to top Go down

My pup swallowed a whole chicken wing! Empty Re: My pup swallowed a whole chicken wing!

Post by Sazzle Thu Sep 11 2014, 19:16

Yeah mince with bone in or larger bones that she can't swallow whole, perhaps a thigh or chicken carcass x
Sazzle
Sazzle
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Daisy
Dog(s) Ages : 3 ish
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 2451

Back to top Go down

Post by Bane Tue Sep 16 2014, 21:14

We started with mince as Bane struggled a bit with bones to start with. They will only chew as much as they need to to get the food down so she must have thought it was about the right size Big Grin If they struggle, it will usually come back up, but obviously it's not very nice and it could cause a blockage!
Bane
Bane
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Bane
Dog(s) Ages : 13th August 2013
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 332

Back to top Go down

Post by mreed7773 Sat Sep 20 2014, 20:06

its okay if she swallows it whole as if her stomach can't handle it she will just bring it up again..dogs dont chew they just make it smaller enough to swallow, when feeding bone just keep an eye on them.. It takes tia about a minute to swallow her wings too..
mreed7773
mreed7773
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Tia
Dog(s) Ages : 22nd feb 2014 .... 2 years 4 months
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 12

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down