Any tips on calming my male down my female is in heat!

2 posters

Go down

Any tips on calming my male down my female is in heat! Empty Any tips on calming my male down my female is in heat!

Post by princesslou Wed Jun 15 2011, 22:47

Wow, this is hard work! Its Paris`s second season and Tyson is going nuts... crying, running around jumping baby gates and not eating which is worring me the most. We are walking them seperate but Tyson drags his heels in and doesnt want to leave the house. Iv got our crate back out and are having to keep Paris in there but Tyson is that bad he was dragging the crate with Paris in it accross the kitchen floor which i thought was slightly funny. My other half has had not a bit of sleep lol with trying to keep him calm. Definatly getting her spayed after this, i didnt think it would be this bad. Has anyone got advice on roughly how long this lasts and how to tempt my little man to eat. We have tried taking his food upstairs, giving him just meat and no dry and i even thought about taking him out in the car with his food?
princesslou
princesslou
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Paris & Tyson
Dog Gender(s) : M/F
Support total : 1

Back to top Go down

Any tips on calming my male down my female is in heat! Empty Re: Any tips on calming my male down my female is in heat!

Post by Guest Wed Jun 15 2011, 22:52

Oh, how I sympathise! I used to have the same problem with my two BSDs and two GSDs! There's very little you can do, I'm afraid.

You can get lotions that are supposed to mask the bitch's scent, but I don't know how well they work. One thing that was told to me way back was to rub some Vick around your girl's lady bits (not on it, because it will sting) and to rub some around your dog's nose.

Unfortunately I was told this after I had made up my mind never to have a dog & bitch together again, so I don't know how well it works, but it's a trick that's often used by people in the show ring in case there's a bitch in season around!

Back to top Go down

Any tips on calming my male down my female is in heat! Empty Re: Any tips on calming my male down my female is in heat!

Post by Guest Wed Jun 15 2011, 22:56

Thats the thing when female are in heat male are pains in the back side they don't get they climb the walls etc, you can get a spray to cover up her scent though it doesn't always work, or you can get him neutered atleast then you have nothing to worry about and you can let them go at it like crazy.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 15 2011, 23:01

MissRogue wrote:or you can get him neutered atleast then you have nothing to worry about and you can let them go at it like crazy.

I wouldn't allow that, personally, as I feel it leads to bad & out of control behaviour.

Back to top Go down

Post by princesslou Wed Jun 15 2011, 23:06

We have tried the spray but over the past couple of days he has been crazy. We are keeping them compleatly apart as i cant control him at all, he just has 1 thing on his mind! How long will this last and is going off food normal, might try vicks around Paris. thanks
princesslou
princesslou

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 15 2011, 23:14

Going off his food is perfectly normal, so don't worry. A couple of wesks on reduced rations won't hurt him.

A season lasts about 21 days (up to about 28 days maximum) in all. It's the last half that's the dangerous time! That's when she'll do anyhthing to get to him as well!

Back to top Go down

Post by princesslou Wed Jun 15 2011, 23:18

oh no what a situation! The crate has been a god send but i do feel guilty when she looks at me all sad bless.
princesslou
princesslou

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jun 16 2011, 17:59

Caryll wrote:
MissRogue wrote:or you can get him neutered atleast then you have nothing to worry about and you can let them go at it like crazy.

I wouldn't allow that, personally, as I feel it leads to bad & out of control behaviour.

Taz does not have out of control behaviour and wasn't you the one that said allowing a male to mate a female will not make them dominant or lead to un controlable behaviour,
I remember that conversation well when i first got here.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jun 16 2011, 18:01

You could possibly board him with a friend or family member.
Or if your not willing to breed you can get him fixed.

Back to top Go down

Post by gem Thu Jun 16 2011, 22:02

Many people I know board there dogs whilst there girls are in season as its so not fair on them to be together.
Ive never been in that position myself as my girl was speyed when I got the dog I so feel for you and hope it passes quickly oh and I also know of someone who mated theres at 33 days and got pups so be careful and make sure she is defo finished Sad
Its normal he will not eat adrenelin has taken over and all he wants is to mate he may loose weight so will need some tlc after Sad
gem
gem
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : duke
Dog Gender(s) : dog
Support total : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jun 16 2011, 22:07

MissRogue wrote:
Caryll wrote:

Taz does not have out of control behaviour and wasn't you the one that said allowing a male to mate a female will not make them dominant or lead to un controlable behaviour,
I remember that conversation well when i first got here.

I'm not talking about dominance here, and a mating won't lead to or increase dominance. But if you allow a dog to just willy nilly mate with a female whenever he likes you will lose control. I know that if they get together and the male is neutered then they can have fun with no harm done, but to just let them constantly 'go at it like crazy' may eventually lead to unwanted behaviour with other dogs or even humans as the dog will want to keep doing it. I know that you wouldn't allow that to happen, because you have a good measure of control over all your dogs, but it isn't always easy is it?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jun 16 2011, 22:10

Becareful the last half of her season (Like Caryll said she will do anything to get to him too) a friend of mine had the same problem and like yourself put the bitch in a cage but they manage to "tie" through the cage, she walked in the room and found them like it, which was clearly very dangerous but thankfully both dogs were fine, but yep puppies turned up Rolling Eyes

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down