Will my pup play nicely with a super tiny Yorkie pup?

5 posters

Go down

Will my pup play nicely with a super tiny Yorkie pup? Empty Will my pup play nicely with a super tiny Yorkie pup?

Post by Raqanroll Wed Sep 03 2014, 20:38

My sister in Law has two Yorkshire Terriers one is an adult the other is 2 and half months old puppy(very slight of frame, maybe 700 grams). The adult runs from Bixby when he tries to engage in play, but he hasn't had any contact with the puppy. In two weeks my wife and I will be spending a weekend out of town, my sister in law will be puppy sitting at her place. My question is two fold, 1. Will she need to constantly keep Bixby and the the Yorkie pup separated? 2. Would Bixby hurt the little Yorkie if he got a hold of her and tried to play with her (i.e. should i look for another sitter)?

Thanks
-R.
Raqanroll
Raqanroll
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Bill Bixby
Dog Gender(s) : Macho
Support total : 6

Back to top Go down

Will my pup play nicely with a super tiny Yorkie pup? Empty Re: Will my pup play nicely with a super tiny Yorkie pup?

Post by Steve Wed Sep 03 2014, 20:41

sister in Law will have to keep them apart while she not there and keep a extra eye on them make sure nothing will go over the top

Steve
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Support total : 1443

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com

Back to top Go down

Will my pup play nicely with a super tiny Yorkie pup? Empty Re: Will my pup play nicely with a super tiny Yorkie pup?

Post by Nathan Wed Sep 03 2014, 22:32

Introduced correctly you shouldnt have a problem but as steve says keep a very close eye on them. I have friends wth cats, rabbits, chinchillas living happily with staffies but remember a playfull rag could be the difference between life and death. i wouldnt trust either of my two with anything less than 5kg bigger than them unattended
Nathan
Nathan

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Marley and Laska
Dog(s) Ages : 30/08/2011 Marley 03/05/12 Laska
Dog Gender(s) : Male Marley Female Laska
Support total : 626

Back to top Go down

Post by JStaff Wed Sep 03 2014, 22:51

Agree they will have to be kept apart if not supervised. One of Suki's best friend is a Corgi and she tailors her level of play to his size. It really all depends on the dog as well and how well it is socialized.
JStaff
JStaff

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Suki
Dog(s) Ages : 5
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 859

Back to top Go down

Post by Raqanroll Thu Sep 04 2014, 01:46

Let me add that Bixby (my staffy) is just three months old, so he's on "super play mode, level 10" quite often.
Raqanroll
Raqanroll

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by fay_elizabeth Thu Sep 04 2014, 09:55

I agree with what everyone else says, make sure she doesn't leave them unattended, I'm sure Bixby wouldn't mean to hurt the little yorkie pup but that doesn't mean he won't. It might be easier for your peace of mind to find someone else.
fay_elizabeth
fay_elizabeth
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Prudence
Dog(s) Ages : 9 months
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 21

Back to top Go down

Post by Raqanroll Sun Sep 07 2014, 19:36

Update: Bixby had a peaceful visit. His few supervised interactions with Petite were marked by sweetness and gentleness on the part of Bixby. And apparently he was super calm and well behaved. On another note, he's been an uncontrollable ball of energy since he's been back with us.
Raqanroll
Raqanroll

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down