9 week old staff seems very aggressive when he has mad half hours.

+6
George.l.
Kathy
peppa
stella
Sazzle
Mia05
10 posters

Go down

9 week old staff seems very aggressive when he has mad half hours. Empty 9 week old staff seems very aggressive when he has mad half hours.

Post by George.l. Mon Aug 18 2014, 21:14

Hi we have had our pup a week now my parents have had 2 staffs before they have been very lovely dogs me and my wife have just brought our own. He is a very nice dog but a couple of times a day he has a real mad half hour! he bites very hard and it's non stop I've tryed shouting no!, shaking stones in a bottle, slapping the newspaper on the floor, gently pushing him off, giving him a toy but he doesn't stop biting our hands arms and feet! He also seems scared of nothing! And sometimes he won't let go and it takes quite a lot of force to open his jaw to get him off! Any advise would be much appreciated. Also he has started to hump his teddy and our leg when we are sitting on the floor with him. I also thought this was a bit strange because he is so young.

George.l.
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

9 week old staff seems very aggressive when he has mad half hours. Empty Re: 9 week old staff seems very aggressive when he has mad half hours.

Post by Mia05 Mon Aug 18 2014, 21:18

welcome from me and mia if you go to the training and behaviour section you may get a better response .  Could be due to amount of time hes exercised or down to the food you give him .

Staffy-Bull-Terrier Online Community
Meet the forum staff - Who's Who
Please read the forum rules - Click Here.

9 week old staff seems very aggressive when he has mad half hours. B310
Mia05
Mia05
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Moderator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Moderator

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Mia
Dog(s) Ages : 2005-2016 rip mia
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 1317

Back to top Go down

9 week old staff seems very aggressive when he has mad half hours. Empty Re: 9 week old staff seems very aggressive when he has mad half hours.

Post by George.l. Mon Aug 18 2014, 21:25

Ok thanks I'll try a post in that section, well he's having his 1st jabs tomorrow so he won't be able to go our for another 3 weeks, and regarding his food we are just carrying on with the food the breeder fed him on.

George.l.

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Sazzle Mon Aug 18 2014, 21:45

It's very normal puppy behaviour, this may help  Smile 

http://staffy-bull-terrier.com/stop_your_staffy_puppy_biting

Welcome to the forum, come and say hi when you get chance  Smile 

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com/f7-new-member-introductions
Sazzle
Sazzle
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Daisy
Dog(s) Ages : 3 ish
Support total : 2451

Back to top Go down

Post by stella Mon Aug 18 2014, 22:29

i can remember when sash was a pup she too had a mad hour in the evening  Rolling Eyes ,she used to race around the house like a thing possessed,we used to take her in the garden and play with her or try and distract her with her toys,they do grow out of it and soon as they have their injections you can take him for a short walk  Smile
stella
stella
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : sasha
Dog(s) Ages : 15years RIP
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 1747

Back to top Go down

Post by JStaff Mon Aug 18 2014, 23:04

Sazzle wrote:It's very normal puppy behaviour, this may help  Smile 

Welcome to the forum, come and say hi when you get chance  Smile 

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com/f7-new-member-introductions

The biting link is excellent. Also remember that if you are on the floor with him it's an invatation for play
JStaff
JStaff
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Suki
Dog(s) Ages : 5
Support total : 859

Back to top Go down

Post by peppa Mon Aug 18 2014, 23:29

Don't worry everything you described we've been through its if mad puppy behaviour. Read the links they are very useful and you gonna need lots of patience I was pulling my hair in despair ! But they grow up before you know it. There is no aggression in this age just confusion.
And welcome from me and peppa.
peppa
peppa

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : peppa
Dog(s) Ages : 28/10/13
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 74

Back to top Go down

Post by JStaff Mon Aug 18 2014, 23:31

I should add the nipping and teething stage stress us all. Just be patient and make sure everyone that interacts with the pup treats the behaviour the same way and you will have a great dog
JStaff
JStaff

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by stu Wed Aug 20 2014, 11:07

its normal..i have the same with 'dave'..he's 13wks old...what we do...and I've done this with all my dogs..is say arh in a firm voice....then take you're hand away...then totally ignore the dog....no eye contact...for about 5 mins...then start the process again i.e play..when he/she starts to nip...again say arh in the firm voice and look away no eye contact etc the penny will drop..if he/she wants to play..then nipping you/others is the wrong way forward... hope this helps a little.
stu
stu
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Support total : 36

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Wed Aug 20 2014, 11:20

This stage of life can be very frustrating, if he is also teething try feezing a damp tea towel or something of similar size for him to chew on, this will sooth the soreness from his mouth.

At 9 weeks old he is not being agressive,
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Niffer Wed Aug 20 2014, 21:50

All of a sudden it will stop - honest. It's horrible and you think you're gonna give up but just keep being consistent and try not to shout as staffs go to pieces when you raise your voice. It's hard - but don't give in. You're doing great so far.
Niffer
Niffer

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Milo aka Michaelangelo
Dog(s) Ages : 14/09/2013
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 50

Back to top Go down

Post by George.l. Wed Aug 20 2014, 22:07

Thanks everyone for your advice, we just don't want him turning vicious, he's a really good dog when he's good it's just these mad half hours/hours he god mad! But last couple of days he seems a bit calmer so it may of been him just settling in.

George.l.

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 20 2014, 23:41

Not being aggressive at 9 weeks just typical puppy behaviour, dont worry it will get so much better  Big Grin 

Back to top Go down

Post by JStaff Wed Aug 20 2014, 23:46

Here is a link to help stop bitting

Also take a look around the Basics for New Owners there is allot of good information. Again the behaviour is very normal but frustrating.
JStaff
JStaff

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay Kay Thu Aug 21 2014, 08:21

George.l. wrote:Hi we have had our pup a week now  my parents have had 2 staffs before they have been very lovely dogs me and my wife have just brought our own. He is a very nice dog but a couple of times a day he has a real mad half hour! he bites very hard and it's non stop I've tryed shouting no!, shaking stones in a bottle, slapping the newspaper on the floor, gently pushing him off, giving him a toy but he doesn't stop biting our hands arms and feet! He also seems scared of nothing! And sometimes he won't let go and it takes quite a lot of force to open his jaw to get him off! Any advise would be much appreciated. Also he has started to hump his teddy and our leg when we are sitting on the floor with him. I also thought this was a bit strange because he is so young.

Sounds exactly the same as our 10 week old pup. It's around 7pm every night that he goes bonkers around the place, sprinting full speed around the living room and biting anything and everything in site. This is my second staff, i can't remember our first being like this. After he's finished, he just wants to cwtch (cuddle) and go to sleep for the rest of the night. He goes for his second injections tomorrow, so won't be ong before i'm able to wear him out with a walk  Big Grin 
Jay Kay
Jay Kay
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Alfie
Dog(s) Ages : 9 Months
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by stu Thu Aug 21 2014, 10:04

I know what you mean...its our second staffie as well... been years since we've had a puppy....learning curve for us as well.... rock on! 
stu
stu

Status Status :

Male
Support total : 36

Back to top Go down

Post by Niffer Thu Aug 21 2014, 15:36

Milo has mad moments at about the same time most nights. I have to lift my legs onto the settee or he'll plough into them. I have a video of him doing just that but having troule uploading it  Rolling Eyes 
Niffer
Niffer

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Milo aka Michaelangelo
Dog(s) Ages : 14/09/2013
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 50

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down