A little help and advice please

3 posters

Go down

A little help and advice please Empty A little help and advice please

Post by stevez Sun Aug 17 2014, 10:09

Hello all, my puppy is nearly 9 weeks old, i got her in my home on thursday morning so thats 3 full days and today is the 4th day,at first she wasnt really playfull and she was all to her self a bit,probably becasue new home,no mummy ect, after a few days she has become more sociable and more around us licking us ect and wanting to play more so that i'm happy, she isnt really eating much,at the breeders house she normaly had 3 meals a day and she was having 2 handfulls of eukanuba puppy hard food mixed with 100ml of boiling water with lactol,leave for 15 minute then stir, i gave that as well but her poo was quite soft and runny so i changed the food to the same 2 handfulls of eukanuba hard food mixed with a spoonfull of wet food the one with the jelly, she is eating a bit but i feel that she isnt eating a lot, she leaves a lot there and this morning she hardly had anything at all, any suggestions? shall i give her a bit of time to settle in more? another thing, she doesnt really eat the treats we give to praise her so another issue, but she will eat them if put in her crate, when the trainer came the first day she arrived she did eat the treats.

cant get her out of the habbit of nipping and biting, when she does it well tell her no and give her a stag bar instead.

any thoughts of my issues also what are you feeding her and how many times a day? and do you stick with the same food all the time?

thanks.

p.s im feeding her at 9am then again at 2pm and finaly at 7pm, i would ,like to feed her around 11pm but not sure as i think 4 times would be better.

stevez
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Tessa
Dog(s) Ages : 8 weeks
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 6

Back to top Go down

A little help and advice please Empty Re: A little help and advice please

Post by Mia05 Sun Aug 17 2014, 10:27

U should gradually change the wet food to something more substantial natures menu puppys really good. When the pup nips or bites firm no turn your back on the pup and fold your arms in front of your chest basically ignore the pup try petting the pup again if the pup tries nipping go through same process again eventually the dog gets the message just be firm but fair. You might get more advice in the training and behaviour section and also diet and nutrition. Best of luck.

Staffy-Bull-Terrier Online Community
Meet the forum staff - Who's Who
Please read the forum rules - Click Here.

A little help and advice please B310
Mia05
Mia05
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Moderator

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Mia
Dog(s) Ages : 2005-2016 rip mia
Support total : 1317

Back to top Go down

Post by jshrew Sun Aug 17 2014, 10:56

She is still settling in so wouldn't worry too much, I don't have any experience with puppies I'm sorry but sure someone will be along soon I would stick with the 3 feeds at set times for now tho

What are you using for treats? You want something really tasty and smelly the cheap supermarket chicken roll slices work quite well you can rip them into tiny pieces and it sticks to stuff for target work

The mouthing is just the pup exploring at the moment but stick with the firm no also definitely recommend puppy classes
jshrew
jshrew

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Ledger and Maple
Dog(s) Ages : 7 and 2
Dog Gender(s) : Male and Female
Support total : 209

Back to top Go down

Post by stevez Sun Aug 17 2014, 11:25

yes i am going to puppy classes, that is a must, also tessa does the nip and bitting more with my 4 year old son as he teases her so she always goes for him if you no what i mean, sometimes its not tessa that needs to be taught but my son.......lol, for treats im giving her scruffy bites, any other good treats to give her? i think she prefers praise than treats to be honest.

at the moment i am feeding her eukanuba puppy food the hard food mixed with a spoon of wet food 3 times a day, hopefully she will start to eat more.

stevez

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Tessa
Dog(s) Ages : 8 weeks
Support total : 6

Back to top Go down