+3
-Ian-
janey
Dostres
7 posters

Go down

Aggressive behaviour towards guests  Empty Aggressive behaviour towards guests

Post by Dostres Sat Jul 26 2014, 19:17

Hi everyone, apologies if this topic has already been covered - please point me in the right direction if it has, but I would like some advice on eradicating my dog Bailey's aggressive behaviour towards guests & people who knock on the door or ring the door bell.

I've only owned Bailey for 3 months as my partner and I rehomed him. He's 19 months old and he's a very loveable dog - great with other animals and on walks - on and off lead.

However, whenever we have guests rounds he barks very aggressively at them and jumps up at them as if he wants to attack them.

I have had to ask family and friends not to ring the door bell or knock when they come round but to text me when they arrive. Once they arrive I put him on his lead and walk out the front door to meet them and then we all walk in the house together. I tell people to ignore him - make no eye contact and don't speak to him then usually after 15 minutes he calms down and walks over to them to be petted when he's ready.

This doesn't seem to work with everyone though as Bailey will take a dislike to certain people. This afternoon I had a friend over to my house for the first time and Baileu went mental at her. So I removed him from the room and put him into his cage - he barked a lot but calmed down after a while and was very quiet. Once he was quiet I took him out of his cage (still on his lead) and brought him into the living room where my friend was.

He was quite and calm and my friend said let him sniff the back of my hand to see if he is ok with me. So I brought him over and he sniffed her hand for 10 seconds and he was fine but then when he sniffed it again he went mental so I removed him away and told him off and to lay down near me which he did.

I don't really know what to do in terms of teaching him how to behave with strangers and guests that come into the house - has anyone else experienced this? What did you do to sort it?

Dostres
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Bailey
Dog(s) Ages : 18 months
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Aggressive behaviour towards guests  Empty Re: Aggressive behaviour towards guests

Post by janey Sat Jul 26 2014, 19:51

Firstly no I haven't experienced it - could maybe try a baby gate so he can see what is going on but not get there - similar to the crate but you want the crate to be a safe house - also how does he react to people outside? Just thinking maybe a bit of freedom would calm him - stick to the texting for now and introduce the bell gradually. You sound very in control so I hope you manage to get it sorted Xx
janey
janey
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Aggressive behaviour towards guests  Empty Re: Aggressive behaviour towards guests

Post by Dostres Sat Jul 26 2014, 20:06

Thanks for your reply. Bailey is usually free to walk around the house (apart from upstairs) and he is left off the lead with people we know he is comfortable with - however I have kept him on the lead with new people coming into the house as he shows aggression towards them.

He has suffered with separation anxiety but he has improved quite a bit since we've had him - keeping him entertained with stuffed kongs etc and we've also got him to like water as he was scared of lakes, puddles and rain!

Dostres

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Sat Jul 26 2014, 20:09

Then to be honest your doing the right thing - I mentioned a baby gate just so he isn't put back in his crate - just an idea.

I think this may just take time and patience its only been 3 months and as a rescue we do find certain behaviors we have to work with - I am in no doubt you will get there though Xx
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Dostres Sat Jul 26 2014, 20:22

Thanks :-) we have gone through a few baby gates as the little bugger can jump them - had to customise a dog gate for the bottom of the stairs so it was tall enough for him not to jump it. He has his own bedroom under the stairs where his cage and food bowls are and we built a custom door on that so he could hang out in his room - but unfortunately he can jump that too! With the anxiety disorder even if I pop him outside in the garden for 5 minutes and stand near the door (which is all glass) he cries to be let in as he misses our company.

Dostres

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Sat Jul 26 2014, 20:38

Well I am afraid I personally can't offer any more advise as you seem to have everything in place and I have never experienced separation anxiety either. All I can say is keep doing what your doing and you can buy dog stair gates I have used them with both of mine and they are much taller Xx
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Dostres Sat Jul 26 2014, 20:42

Thanks :-) yeah it was the dog stair gate that we have but had to customise it with thicker poles.

If anyone could recommend any good books to read to help with behaviour that would be much appreciated :-)

Dostres

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by -Ian- Sat Jul 26 2014, 21:19

3 Months isn't long at all so I guess it might take a while yet before the separation thing settles. Sounds like you have been doing the right things to break the cycles but its just going to take time.

Also, he is In His teens now so lots of hormones are rushing about. Just a further thought, I wonder if having him on the lead is making him worse when people come in to the house, could he be picking up tension through the lead from you, just a thought.

Pop back regularly as I'm sure other people will add suggestions.

Staffy-Bull-Terrier Online Community
Meet the forum staff - Who's Who
Please read the forum rules - Click Here.

Aggressive behaviour towards guests  B110
-Ian-
-Ian-
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Anything, she's Deaf !
Dog(s) Ages : RIP Flo
Dog Gender(s) : Girl
Support total : 2862

Back to top Go down

Post by JStaff Sat Jul 26 2014, 21:45

Sounds like you are doing the right thing. They can be a bit territorial. You could try having people over more frequently so he gets used to them. We had a friend stop by every 30 minutes or so to help with Suki.
JStaff
JStaff

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Suki
Dog(s) Ages : 5
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 859

Back to top Go down

Post by Dostres Sat Jul 26 2014, 22:00

Thanks guys, yeah I'm just worried if I let him off the lead with new people then he might bite them :-( most of the people I know don't have dogs so aren't used to them.

And yeah I think we could do with regular visitors so might see if I can get a friend or family member to pop over more. I just don't know why he goes mental when the door bell is rang it the door is knocked.

Dostres

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by JStaff Sat Jul 26 2014, 22:03

If your guests are not used to dogs they could be giving of nervous energy and he could be reacting to that as well
JStaff
JStaff

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Suki
Dog(s) Ages : 5
Support total : 859

Back to top Go down

Post by Dostres Sat Jul 26 2014, 22:17

Yeah that's true I know when someone is nervous it makes him nervous - however my friend today is used to dogs as her parents train guide dogs - she followed everything I said to do - ignore him, no eye contact and was comfortable around him, yet he still went for her :-(

Dostres

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by -Ian- Sat Jul 26 2014, 22:37

Did he actually have a go or was was just over excited ?

-Ian-
-Ian-

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Dostres Sat Jul 26 2014, 22:50

He jumped up aggressively barking at her and I think he would have tried to bite her if I didn't pull him away

Dostres

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by -Ian- Sat Jul 26 2014, 23:13

Is odd that its some and not others. You could obviously see the signs so did the best thing there. The advice given about people you know coming and going is good, hopefully it will begin to subside when he realises there's no threat. The only other thing I can think of just now is to use some high value treats and get him to sit and wait while you open the door. Might be worth a go.

-Ian-
-Ian-

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Dostres Sat Jul 26 2014, 23:15

Thanks I will try that tomorrow as hopefully my partners mum should be popping over :-) will let you know how it goes.

Dostres

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel33 Sat Jul 26 2014, 23:25

Will send a longer reply tomorrow when I can get to a laptop, but wouldn't let him approach any visitors at all for the moment, especially whilst he's in a negative or fearful mindset. Put him in his crate with a stuffed kong or other long lasting chew before guests arrive, and let him observe from a distance without feeling forced to interact or giving him a chance to practice any aggressive behaviour. Guests to ignore until he's settled/more relaxed and then sporadically throw treats into crate without forcing interaction (if he's food focused of course) if he doesn't settle, ignore completely. I've been rehabbing my dog with the same behaviour for 3 years now, and still have to put her in the crate with some visitors. Baby steps, don't give him a chance to show aggression, keep him safe.
Rachel33
Rachel33

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Bug (Biscuit)
Dog(s) Ages : 7 ish
Support total : 1012

Back to top Go down

Post by Rupertsbooks Mon Aug 25 2014, 12:37

Regarding good books: Ian Dunbar has been a life saver for me on many issues. He pioneered positive training, is in his 70s now. Has written many books - see amazon.

He and other dog behaviourists also run a site called dogstardaily.com

You have to get a login but it's free and they cover every single issue under the sun. I have found it very, very useful.
Rupertsbooks
Rupertsbooks

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Rupert
Dog(s) Ages : 3
Support total : 92

Back to top Go down

Post by Swiper Sun Sep 07 2014, 20:28

Does he like treats?

If so, the next time someone is expected to come over, leave a little sandwich bag with some treats and a note inside telling the guest to give the treats to the dog. Then after awhile he may associate people coming over is a good thing.

Swiper
Swiper
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : Swiper
Dog Gender(s) : Male intact
Support total : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down