Help pls lol destruction getting worse

4 posters

Go down

Help pls lol destruction getting worse Empty Help pls lol destruction getting worse

Post by Guest Mon Jun 06 2011, 11:19

Right basically Zero's decided chewing & ripping up everything in sight is great fun Crying or Very sad It started with corners of beds, toys etc but now its (in the past month or so) 4 dog beds, a hole in the kitchen wall, garden chari, the kennel in the garden, every toy he can find, kitchen rug, kids toys been rescued before total damage, my 2yr olds "blankie" (which means the house is constant crying at the moment!!), Maz's food bowl then his a day later and now the cage yes he managed to break a metal cage at wits end
I went for a night out saturday and came back to find he'd shredded the blankets in his cage, ate the water bowl (so it was soaked in the cage) ad 2 bars bent/broken off, he has a massive cage 5ft/3ft/3ft so larger than average so plenty of room.

He gets 3 walks a day 1hr morning (off lead), 30/40mins on lead at lunch & 2hrs off lead each evening which is pure running (extra at weekends)

He has every bone, chew, kong, treat ball etc (but hes not food orientated at all so chews them up rather than tries to get food out)

He's been vet checked in perfect health

He just started this chewing litrally over night he was great left in kitchen when i went out but now its getting worse and worse down to if i go have a bath he cant be trusted nail biting

He's nearly 8mths but getting worse

Any tips pleaseeeeeeeeee before I end up with a drink problem Laughing

Back to top Go down

Help pls lol destruction getting worse Empty Re: Help pls lol destruction getting worse

Post by Louise C Mon Jun 06 2011, 11:44

Staffiexxx wrote:

Give the dog the drink instead Big Grin

Sorry not very helpful but I couldn't help it haha

Hope you find an answer soon before you have no house left.
Louise C
Louise C
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Lola
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 3

Back to top Go down

Help pls lol destruction getting worse Empty Re: Help pls lol destruction getting worse

Post by Guest Mon Jun 06 2011, 11:49

hmmmm thats a tough one as everything i would sugest u are already doing. Do u take him for a real run before u go out? Lots of fetch with ball tires them out. What about one of those "calming" plug ins? x

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jun 06 2011, 12:04

lackeman wrote:
Staffiexxx wrote:

Give the dog the drink instead Big Grin

Sorry not very helpful but I couldn't help it haha

Hope you find an answer soon before you have no house left.

Could be worth a try Laughing

blaze wrote:hmmmm thats a tough one as everything i would sugest u are already doing. Do u take him for a real run before u go out? Lots of fetch with ball tires them out. What about one of those "calming" plug ins? x

I do always take him for a "wear out" before im going out, my 10yr old does the fetch etc (she's got more energy than me lol) and has wore him out to where I've thought he might need carrying home Laughing but its now even when like I go bath, the other day I was having a ciggy in the garden turned round and he was chewing the chair behind me Surprised its like a demon has took him over. I did think about the plug ins but a few ppl told me dont waste money so it kind of put me off Sad

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jun 06 2011, 12:27

Well im not sure how cheap they are but i dont think they are too too expensive, i would think they may be worth a go. If there is anything particular he chews alot then try rubbing vicks vapour gel stuff on it, someone on here sugested it. My 1 year ols Kaos started chewing again at about 10 months and his favourites where the door frames and my very expensive solid oak tv cabinet, it worked a treat on that and he never touched it again. x

Last edited by blaze on Mon Jun 06 2011, 12:28; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling)

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jun 06 2011, 13:06

Thank u Carly Vicks is the one I remember seeing that but couldnt think what it was Big Grin right in a hours time my house gonna smell great lol, prob is his main target is dog beds Laughing but im gonna put it on the wall and door and cage bars so if he gets a taste of it with any luck might put him off chewing full stop Rolling Eyes

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jun 06 2011, 14:02

fingers crossed, let me no how he gets on lol x

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jun 06 2011, 14:07

i heard that White vinegar rubbed on furniture helps, but i suppose it will pong

Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by staffygalkezXX Mon Jun 06 2011, 14:26

when blayde is playin up he's got a naughty place lol- which is a mat in the kitchen. it really does work! wen i 1st startd usin it he kept comin off it n runnin off, so id jus pick him up n put him bak on- now alls i have 2say "is rite get in your naughty place" n he'l sit ther until i say come in, he comes strate 2me, has a fuss n then all is 4gotten.
staffygalkezXX
staffygalkezXX
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : blayde
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 1

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jun 06 2011, 14:40

Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jun 06 2011, 15:43

What about a thunder shirt?? they have a calming effect on most dogs.
Rescue remedy drops in his food and water ( 10 drops )
Plug in pheromones had a good effect on my staffy Jethro when he went through a bad patch...
sounds like he is really hypo...you are certainly doing everything you can for him..

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jun 06 2011, 15:50

hi it was me who used Vicks Vapour rub, think it was Janey or Caryll recommended it when Woody was being an absolute terror (similar to what you are going through).we too have a staff who managed to break his cage and chew anything in sight. i tried vinegar and although it worked short term it soaked in to furniture etc quickly and the house smelt like a chippy! the bonus to Vicks is i havent had a cold for months!!! unfortunately i havent been able to find anything to stop him chewing fence panels - i'd need like a vat of the stuff!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jun 06 2011, 16:34

nicolalouises wrote:hi it was me who used Vicks Vapour rub, think it was Janey or Caryll recommended it when Woody was being an absolute terror (similar to what you are going through).we too have a staff who managed to break his cage and chew anything in sight. i tried vinegar and although it worked short term it soaked in to furniture etc quickly and the house smelt like a chippy! the bonus to Vicks is i havent had a cold for months!!! unfortunately i havent been able to find anything to stop him chewing fence panels - i'd need like a vat of the stuff!

Laughing Laughing Laughing

We had a similar issue (and still do at times with Izzy) and it was only over here in Perth when hubby was setting up new dog beds etc for the imminent arrival of our 4 legged ones before I got here, that he heard about "VICKS" from a lady at the market where he bought the dog beds. 8 months later we are still putting it on things eg pop up sprinklers etc, but I could do with a truck load for their kennel and dog beds. Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jun 06 2011, 16:39

How about tiring his mind as well as his body? Try teaching him the seek command. Start with placing some treats on the floor in another room. Take him into the room & say "Seek!" and show him where they are. Loads of praise when he 'finds' the teats. Then put some underneath something & say "seek" & let him sniff around till he finds them.

You can progressively make it more difficult, or you can go on to him finding objects with your scent on them.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jun 06 2011, 17:46

Well he had a chew of the keenel this afternoon so on went the Vicks and I think it worked never seen him snort so much when he attempted it again Laughing Dog beds I need to cure now cos cant cover them in it as poor Mazda would wonder whats happening she's never chewed a thing we even got thru the puppy stage with no chewing Big Grin

He's just had 2.5hrs of chasing ball and running the field with me & my daughters, he's now running round the garden like a nut case so hyper is a definate Rolling Eyes

Caryll wrote:How about tiring his mind as well as his body? Try teaching him the seek command. Start with placing some treats on the floor in another room. Take him into the room & say "Seek!" and show him where they are. Loads of praise when he 'finds' the teats. Then put some underneath something & say "seek" & let him sniff around till he finds them.

You can progressively make it more difficult, or you can go on to him finding objects with your scent on them.

This is my mission Caryll soon as my toddler goes to bed, he's quite a simple dog (Friends call him simple simon bless him) Laughing but as you say start slow so will let u know how he does I dont want to s

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jun 06 2011, 21:35

Well as said he's not the brightest crayon and he's never gonna make a sniffer dog rolling on the floor
He found the treat when i vertually stuck it up his nose but got bored VERY quick need to cook up some chicken 2mz I think something he's reeeeeally interested in

Back to top Go down

Post by gem Mon Jun 06 2011, 21:44

Awww im sure he will just calm all at once. Ive been so lucky with mine they havent chewed only there toys so cant really help just hope you find a cure. Ive used the dap unit with my girl for fireworks but cant recomend it didnt help and I agree a waste of money Smile
gem
gem

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : duke
Dog Gender(s) : dog
Support total : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jun 06 2011, 21:57

gem wrote:Awww im sure he will just calm all at once. Ive been so lucky with mine they havent chewed only there toys so cant really help just hope you find a cure. Ive used the dap unit with my girl for fireworks but cant recomend it didnt help and I agree a waste of money Smile

That was what I first wanted one for Mazda is terrified of fireworks but like you say got told dont waste money, I went to see me mum at work the other day (shes my local vet) and she said it wont help him and I trust her expecially when vets normally try get every penny Laughing
I think the extra "work outs" might help as hes at my feet asleep which normally he sits and stares at me, if i go out the room hes attached to my heel etc and he hasnt tonight just looked at me to check where I am Love Struck

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jun 06 2011, 22:10

just a thought....what do u feed him as a low quality/bad food can leed to hyperness (if hyperness is a word haha) x

Back to top Go down

Help pls lol destruction getting worse Empty help plz destruction getting worse.

Post by jamie Tue Jun 07 2011, 01:04

hi there a was just reading what you have wrote there and i might have the answer to your problems . i always wanted a staff from the age of 13 and my missus got me rex for xmas but was unsure about it as alot of people were sayin they destroy everything that gets in there path ie, including furniture , my missus face was a picture.lol Laughing
so someone suggested a dog cage well at first we thought that was cruel but the more we looked into it the more we came round to the idea so we bought one ,rex was still a pup but we used it for everything to toilet training to time out for when he was being a wee bugger ie, destroying things i can honestly say that has been the best thing i have done for my dog as a pup he only ever chewed his bed and he will be 5 in oct and he has still not touched any of my furniture , which im pleased with , and the missus Laughing he only ruins his toys and footballs, so i would recomend a dog cage to any one, plus the dogs bed stays there all the time he even sleeps in there with the cage door open. Big Grin
jamie
jamie
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : rex
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 07 2011, 02:49

blaze wrote:just a thought....what do u feed him as a low quality/bad food can leed to hyperness (if hyperness is a word haha) x

Well, It is now "Hyperness" Laughing I like it......My Roxy has plenty of hyperness too.

She has been re-modelling her kennel lately (making the entrance wider, and also providing some extra-large tooth-picks as she goes) and just started pulling washing off the line. Grrrrrrrrrrr
Stick with it.....I am, and I'm sure we'll come out ok at the other end of the tunnel (u know...the light at the end of the tunnel) It is very challenging at wits end

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 07 2011, 08:37

Loopy wrote:
blaze wrote:just a thought....what do u feed him as a low quality/bad food can leed to hyperness (if hyperness is a word haha) x

Well, It is now "Hyperness" Laughing I like it......My Roxy has plenty of hyperness too.

She has been re-modelling her kennel lately (making the entrance wider, and also providing some extra-large tooth-picks as she goes) and just started pulling washing off the line. Grrrrrrrrrrr
Stick with it.....I am, and I'm sure we'll come out ok at the other end of the tunnel (u know...the light at the end of the tunnel) It is very challenging at wits end

Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 07 2011, 09:35

Well ive finally got him to eat royal canine with nature diet and a little warm water (im still waiting for the salmon moose u said to try)

jamie wrote:hi there a was just reading what you have wrote there and i might have the answer to your problems . i always wanted a staff from the age of 13 and my missus got me rex for xmas but was unsure about it as alot of people were sayin they destroy everything that gets in there path ie, including furniture , my missus face was a picture.lol Laughing
so someone suggested a dog cage well at first we thought that was cruel but the more we looked into it the more we came round to the idea so we bought one ,rex was still a pup but we used it for everything to toilet training to time out for when he was being a wee bugger ie, destroying things i can honestly say that has been the best thing i have done for my dog as a pup he only ever chewed his bed and he will be 5 in oct and he has still not touched any of my furniture , which im pleased with , and the missus Laughing he only ruins his toys and footballs, so i would recomend a dog cage to any one, plus the dogs bed stays there all the time he even sleeps in there with the cage door open. Big Grin

He has a cage he ripped the bars off and will shred a blanket every time hes in it (expensive and the kids loosing blankets by the day Laughing )
My bitch also is cage trained but only goes in it for fireworks shes fantastic never chews

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 07 2011, 11:34

I don't know if you've tried any of these...........

http://www.ehow.co.uk/how_8379309_make-homemade-taste-deterrent-dogs.html

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 07 2011, 15:07

Thanks Caryll off to Tesco in a bit they look well worth a try, The Vicks didnt work as well as I thought I topped it up on the kennel "door" where he often chews and he carried on after he licked it off snorted like a loony Rolling Eyes

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down