First time out the crate at 1.5yrs old...Is it too early?

4 posters

Go down

First time out the crate at 1.5yrs old...Is it too early?  Empty First time out the crate at 1.5yrs old...Is it too early?

Post by brophski Fri May 30 2014, 19:47

Today was the day, when my stair gate separating the living room from the rest of the house was installed, and the room was made dog proof. I also installed a neat Hd camera connected to my phone so I could see what Sky was doing, so I thought nothing could go wrong...

The first couple of minutes I watched as she spent time trying to get biscuits out of the Kong I'd given her. After that she ran around crying and then howling, honestly it was like a wolf, this carried on for at least 10 minutes. After that she spent time trying her best to look out of the window, jump at the front door all manor of things. Then luckily I was still watching, and saw Sky knock my dam bonsai off the shelf :-(, which smashed everywhere.

I raced home, and as soon as I walk in she is there munching on the roots, and by god did I shout at her. She knew she had done wrong, ears went down, and she moved into the corner away from me and watched as I hoovered up the mess!

Now what I am confused with If I shut the stair gate and go upstairs, she is fine. If I ignore her and do something in another room, she is fine. But If I leave the house to wash the car, do anything out the front. She cries and howls. When I put her in the crate, she doesn't cry nor or make a sound, and just keeps quiet.

Generally Sky is good, but every so often goes a little mad, and gets excitable and jumps up at people and me like crazy. but usually I manage to tell her no, or even put the muzzle on for a minute to remind her to calm down, and then it comes off. Am I too early in trying Sky out the crate, is it something she is still too young for, or am I missing a trick. I know it was the first time, currently at this age but I'm concerned that she will just end up destroying the living room. She never chews anything but her toys, and only seems to eat things that she shouldn't when she is left alone out the crate. I've tried quite a few times 6 months ago leaving her out, and she ate hats, leads, you name it, but again only when left out the crate alone... :-(.

Walking wise at the moment, she get 30 minutes, walk/running about in the evening. I am trying to increase this to 30 minutes in the morning too, but I'm struggling a little health wise until the hospital can mend me.

Anybody got any tips :-)

James.
brophski
brophski
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Sky
Dog(s) Ages : 4yrs
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 13

Back to top Go down

First time out the crate at 1.5yrs old...Is it too early?  Empty Re: First time out the crate at 1.5yrs old...Is it too early?

Post by Sazzle Fri May 30 2014, 19:49

Maybe she just feels safer in the crate? How long is she left for? It's it's not that long you could just continue using the crate?
Sazzle
Sazzle
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Daisy
Dog(s) Ages : 3 ish
Support total : 2451

Back to top Go down

First time out the crate at 1.5yrs old...Is it too early?  Empty Re: First time out the crate at 1.5yrs old...Is it too early?

Post by janey Fri May 30 2014, 20:03

You really need to up the walking, 30mins a day is simply not long enough, if you can't manage it get a dog walker. Also why do you use a muzzle? Its normal behavior if the dog is bored and unwalked - sorry to sound negative.
janey
janey
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by tracy boo Fri May 30 2014, 20:09

I would just keep using the crate, maybe she feels safe in there. If you are struggling health wise do you have friends/family who could walk her?

tracy boo
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
First time out the crate at 1.5yrs old...Is it too early?  Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Gordon
Dog(s) Ages : 1 year
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 71

Back to top Go down

Post by brophski Fri May 30 2014, 20:24

janey wrote:You really need to up the walking, 30mins a day is simply not long enough, if you can't manage it get a dog walker. Also why do you use a muzzle? Its normal behaviour if the dog is bored and unwalked - sorry to sound negative.

Don't be sorry I like people to be honest. If that behaviour is due to this then I have no choice but to increase the walking she gets, the pain I will battle through then. The muzzle is very rarely used, it comes out sometimes when somebody comes round as she will just not stop jumping up at people, if they turn away she turns. You ignore her,  she jumps at your arm.. often it doesn't go on, even the sight of it in your hand and she sits down and behaves.

Sazzle I could carry on but her crate is a little small, so I didn't really want to have to buy a bigger one, as I thought she would enjoy the freedom of the house, without all the crying howling. Plus I don't have a big house, and crates are just dam ugly lol.

If you think increasing the walks would help then i'll make sure this happens somehow, might explain why she always destroys her bedding in the crate.
brophski
brophski

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sazzle Fri May 30 2014, 20:31

More exercise will almost definitely help  Smile 
Sazzle
Sazzle

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Daisy
Dog(s) Ages : 3 ish
Support total : 2451

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Fri May 30 2014, 20:31

Would help hugely, they need to be tired out - they are clever dogs - do you do mind games when at home also, this may help and what do you feed? x
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by brophski Fri May 30 2014, 20:36

At the moment she is fed sardines, with wainwright kibble in morning, and then Wainwright kibble with 1/4 Wainwright tinned meat in evening.

Ok I'll increase the walks to 30mins morning, 30 mins evening or there about. Longer as I get better. Mind games? We play tug a war alot when she decides too?
brophski
brophski

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Fri May 30 2014, 20:40

Yes tug is great but mind games tire them out so much more - hide treats - do simple training commands - get these into a routine - sit/stay/paw/down - in the garden if toy orientated use the toy and make them stay and wait/lay down - hide said toy and keep focus on you and say find.

So many simple things you can do that occupy their minds XX
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by brophski Fri May 30 2014, 20:57

I didn't realise mind games tired them out much, do they really make alot of difference? I like the go find idea. What do you hide a toy or treats?
brophski
brophski

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Fri May 30 2014, 20:58

Mind games tire them out more than a walk (but you need to be doing both). I have never made Moo treat orientated so use a ball or whatever she is interested in at the time Xx
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by brophski Fri May 30 2014, 21:06

I always thought the walk would be miles better, but I can see how the combination is better. I think what I'll do is increase the walks etc, mind games, and keep her in the crate for now, purchases a slightly bigger one. See if I can revisit the home alone thing in another couple of months or so :-)
brophski
brophski

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Fri May 30 2014, 21:08

I think that sounds perfect xXx
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by brophski Fri May 30 2014, 21:29

Thanks  Big Grin 
brophski
brophski

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down