Can two Staffie males live together in love and peace?

+3
banandcan
Deverill
gregory
7 posters

Go down

Can two Staffie males live together in love and peace?  Empty Can two Staffie males live together in love and peace?

Post by gregory Fri Jun 03 2011, 01:08

Hello All

My wife and I are decided on getting a Staffie soon, as yet were undecided on wether we should go for a dog or bitch. One potential issue may swing our choice of sex: we have read that two Staffie males will never be able to live together in love and peace, unless there is a great age gap, and even then there will always be the threat of injuries due to disputes between them. We will very likely get another Staffie to join the first, a year down the line ( but possibly at the same time depending on wether we go to a breeder or go to a rescue centre, Battersea in our case) We would like your opinions on wether we should plump for a dog and a bitch or two bitches, because of this compatibility issue of two males living together which we have read about. One book clearly states that two males will never live together peacefully and should even be kept separated when left alone. Can anybody give an opinion on this please. Should we rather go for two bitches or a dog and a bitch? Would it make any difference to the compatibility of two males if they were from the same litter? Any opinions appreciated. Thanks.

gregory
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Can two Staffie males live together in love and peace?  Empty Re: Can two Staffie males live together in love and peace?

Post by Guest Fri Jun 03 2011, 02:01

Hi there, and welcome from me and Roxy.

Sorry, I can't answer your question but I have heard that it is better to have one of each sex. Somebody else will be along soon no doubt with the answer you are looking for.

Back to top Go down

Can two Staffie males live together in love and peace?  Empty Re: Can two Staffie males live together in love and peace?

Post by Guest Fri Jun 03 2011, 03:34

wave from me and my girls Kita & Izzy.
I have two bitches with a fair age between them and they get along fine. I was always told that x2 males won't get along and up until last year, my older girl always had a male companion. We know that somewhere down the track that we will be looking again and after reading this similar thread in regard to owning two of the same sex, I'm re thinking the issue and trying to convince my hubby that we may have to get a male.

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com/t5215-how-well-is-it-to-have-two-bitches-together

Back to top Go down

Post by Deverill Fri Jun 03 2011, 06:20

Hi and welcome to the site.

I've had two bitches but there was a good few years between them and they were great together, you'd think they were sisters.

Can't comment on the boys though sorry as never had them.

Deverill
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Tizzy
Dog Gender(s) : Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 03 2011, 08:23

Hi & Can two Staffie males live together in love and peace?  Welcome

Welcome to the staffordshire bull terrier niceboard. We are pleased you have decided to join us, and hope you enjoy your stay. We hope to see plenty of pictures of your staffordshire bull terriers or any other breed you may have in your household Smile

If you would like to enter your dog(s), puppy(s) or another pet(s) you may have into our Monthly Competition, voting starts on the 20th of every month, if you are lucky your dog maybe placed on our Hall Of Fame page on our website.

Just one last thing before you look around could you please just have a quick look At This Poll, we would love to know how you found us.

Here are some links that will get you started with the website:-

Can two Staffie males live together in love and peace?  Icon_arrow Please read the Forum Rules before you start posting.
Can two Staffie males live together in love and peace?  Icon_arrow Here are a list of Tutorial & FAQs that will help you around the forum.
Can two Staffie males live together in love and peace?  Icon_arrow You can ask for help here if you are having trouble doing something on the forum.
Can two Staffie males live together in love and peace?  Icon_arrow If you have any ideas to improve the forum please let us know Your Feedback Here.
Can two Staffie males live together in love and peace?  Icon_arrow We have a Website with alot of information if you would like to view it.

Back to top Go down

Post by banandcan Tue Jun 07 2011, 09:15

Hi
This is my first post.
What a great question, my family has a beautiful boy who we have been thinking about getting a new companion, and this exact question 2 boys together will they get along is one that i am very curious about.

banandcan
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : Johnno
Dog Gender(s) : male

Back to top Go down

Post by gem Tue Jun 07 2011, 10:23

I personally would not get 2 of same sex I dont feel strong enough as pack leader to handle disputes if they happen and the thought of having to re-home if anything happens doesnt bear thinking of.
Ive had to break up a dog fight before and I never want to witness one again its something that shook me up for weeks and my arms still bear the scars.
Im not saying that 2 same sex cannot live along in harmony because they do but I think it depends very much on the dogs personalities.
My freind has 5 staffords 2 dogs and 3 bitches they get on good just one altercation but the family are very strong and know the breed well
Ive another freind who bred his dog and bitch and kept a dog puppy when the dog matured everything set them off and he was forced to cage one at a time and thats no life for a stafford so sadly had to rehome the the youngster.
I have a dog and a bitch who sleep together have run of the house when im out and they adore each other never had a problem but yet the dog is very dominant and doesnt like other dogs so there would be no way he could share with another dog life would be intolerable. So for me the choice of a girl and boy was a right one. Smile
gem
gem
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : duke
Dog Gender(s) : dog
Support total : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 07 2011, 11:05

I agree with gem. I'm not saying that two of the same sex can't get along, and there are people on this forum who are doing this and have no problems, but they're more likely to have disputes than one of each.

I've only ever had 2 the same and that was when I was very young. I had 2 border collie bitches, but they were forever squabbling. Nothing serious, but it became quite wearing after a while. Since then I've always had one of each, or just the one dog.

Back to top Go down

Post by citybeatx Tue Jun 07 2011, 13:08

Hello from me and Poppy wave and welcome to the forum!

I reckon if you have 2 staffy male puppys right from the start, they'll get on really well, it all depends on how you bring them up. People usually go for a male and female but nothing is impossible! Good luck!
citybeatx
citybeatx
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Can two Staffie males live together in love and peace?  Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Poppy & JRT Mylo.
Dog Gender(s) : Female/Male.

Back to top Go down

Post by cloverdale Wed Jun 08 2011, 02:37

I have 5 staffords living in the same house. They run and play together. We have Mother-4 Father-3 son-2
daughter-2 and and another younger puppy bitch she is 1. The boys are both intact and we have had many people tell us we are crazy to let them all run together but to date we have yet to have any trouble. before we had a altered male Pit bull and a spayed bitch stafford that just could not live together. I would say it all depends on YOU as the owner. When are dogs play if there is any noise that sounds un friendly we stop that right then.

The other thing I would make a note of is we NEVER leave 2 of our dogs out alone when no one is home no matter the sex. 2 bitchs will fight just a quick as 2 males and any thing could set them off. I would not ever leave any 2 of any breed home along loose. Just my 2 cents.

I hope this hels you.
cloverdale
cloverdale

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Diesel, Bullet, Leeloo, Spicy and Isabelle
Dog Gender(s) : 2 boys and 3 girls

http://cloderdalestaffords.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 08 2011, 12:41

I have two boys who are of a similar age. Ty is 2 at the end of september and Kaos is 1. We have the odd squabble but nothing serious but we have l;ots of measures in place just in case. We have worked very hard on instilling "pack heirarchy" into the boys and they are very aware they both come last. We dont allow either on the sofas or upstairs and feel this helps keep them both in thier place. We have baby gates on all our doors so if need be they can be separated quickly both have been netured and were done so as soon as they were old enough, and as said before they are never left alone together ever and always separated we we r not around but i would reccommend doing this even if u have one of each sex to be honest. Touch wood they love each other 2 bits and its worked out brilliantly for us so far although i wont let me guard down! x

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jun 09 2011, 00:09

Hi & welcome to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jun 09 2011, 07:36

Hi & welcome to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jun 09 2011, 15:43

Well I have a desexed male Jethro who is 12 and a male pup Winston (nearly 11 weeks old ) and so far they get on like a house on fire!! Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by billysgirl Fri Jun 10 2011, 17:26

Hiya and welcome to the forum wave

billysgirl

Status Status :

Male
Support total : 9

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down