Started lunging at cars again

4 posters

Go down

Started lunging at cars again Empty Started lunging at cars again

Post by densil Wed Feb 26 2014, 11:46

We have had Densil a couple of years now and when we had him for about a year he suddenly started lunging, whining, barking at cars and jumping up in the air and twisting around. It really was terrible and I was told by the dog trainer they were panic attacks and I had to distract him with a treat every time a car went by. This did eventually work although it took a few months before he was ok. Just lately we have had a big yellow jcb vehicle going by our house several times a day and he has barked at it. A couple of days ago it passed us when we were walking along the road, followed by a noisy motorbike and he just completely lost it - he was back to the jumping/lunging/barking and the only thing I could do was get him down a quiet street and take him home. So sent hubby up to the pound shop today for tins of hot dogs which the trainer advised me to use. I even tried a few drops of rescue remedy today before we went out for his walk, but where I took him was pretty quiet and it wasn't until we started coming back that we had cars coming by and he started reacting. Unfortunately I live in the middle of a housing estate so it doesn't matter which direction I go in when I take him out there are always cars around. I do not have a car, and he also gets stressed out if he has to ride in one. at wits end 
densil
densil
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Started lunging at cars again Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Densil
Dog(s) Ages : 4
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 3

Back to top Go down

Started lunging at cars again Empty Re: Started lunging at cars again

Post by Staffy lover Wed Feb 26 2014, 11:51

I can only suggest you go back to what you did before. Can you teach him to watch you with a treat and walk pass cars talking to him ?
Staffy lover
Staffy lover
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Pixee
Dog(s) Ages : 4 ish
Dog Gender(s) : Bitch
Support total : 214

Back to top Go down

Post by densil Wed Feb 26 2014, 12:33

That is how I did it in the past - say Densil, look and get him to look up at me and slowly feed the treat as the car goes by. The problem at the moment is he is so strung out he is waiting for cars that are way up the road and haven't even reach us and he is just ignoring me.
densil
densil

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by densil Wed Feb 26 2014, 15:49

Took him out this afternoon and that d***m jcb came by - I had a handful of treats and just shoved them all in his mouth and he was trying to eat and bark at the same time, lol. He is just so hyped up everytime he hears an engine noise he is looking round to see if it is the jcb. Not sure if the rescue remedy is doing any good either.
densil
densil

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 26 2014, 18:39

Aww poor Densil keep at it perhaps just short walks by cars at first. I find talking gently to Vin helps no end. This link may have a few pointers for you.  Big Grin 
https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com/t49092-car-chasing-how-to-break-your-dog-s-habit?highlight=chasing+cars
Not really relevant as its dogs chasing cars but may help a bit  Smile 

Back to top Go down

Post by densil Wed Feb 26 2014, 18:51

I am always talking to Densil on our walks in a positive light-hearted I also say good boy if he does ignore a car. he saw the jcb in the distance yesterday and he just stood there shaking with fear Sad
densil
densil

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by JStaff Wed Feb 26 2014, 21:55

I think you are on the right track it will just take time. Suki was like that with trains so I would just bring her either a little closer each time or have her sit and wait a little longer near the train every day.
JStaff
JStaff

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Suki
Dog(s) Ages : 5
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 859

Back to top Go down

Post by Rhia Wed Feb 26 2014, 22:13

A few weeks ago myself and banes saw a jcb, banes ran and ran and ran. I thought I'd list him, lucky enough for us he ran into golf links and not the road. Banes was shaking uncontrollably, now any loud noise he tries to run off. I feel for you and densil. Hope things get sorted for you x
Rhia
Rhia

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Banes
Dog(s) Ages : 5 months
Support total : 6

Back to top Go down

Post by Staffy lover Thu Feb 27 2014, 09:12

How about sitting on a wall if possible and wait for cars to go pass, without walking, but you are on hand to give him a fuss, talk to him, treat him, for a few mins through out the day, so he can get use to the cars again.?????????? Its so sad Densil sees cars like they a threat, do you think its to do with before you had him?
Staffy lover
Staffy lover

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by densil Thu Feb 27 2014, 14:25

We just started out this morning and the local bus went by which he normally takes no notice of and he jumped up and gave a half hearted bark. I took him on a grassy area this morning set a way back from the road so he could watch the cars go by and I gave him a treat if he looked at me, and this worked for a few, but then one went by and he wasn't going to look, just jumped up at it. Just got to persevere I suppose. Am contemplating taking him out at night in the dark which is something I have never done before, just to see how he is.
densil
densil

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Staffy lover Thu Feb 27 2014, 15:36

At least you are trying, and it did work for a while, so keep it up, time and patient will get you both there. Just wanted to say, that Pixee use to be scared to go out in the dark, when we first had her, another staffie owner had the same problem as us, and said that staffies dont see well in the dark, but I dont know if thats the case really?? She is fine now walking in the dark, as we do lots of it, she has got use to it and come to accept that nothing is going to harm her. So just be aware if Densil has never been out in the dark, be ready . Good luck and let us know how you both getting on.
Staffy lover
Staffy lover

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by densil Sat Mar 01 2014, 11:49

Decided not to take Densil out in the dark as don't want to introduce more problems.  This morning I saw 3 jcb type work vehicles parked up so I took Densil down to have a look at them.  He wasn't really interested as they weren't moving around or making a noise (which I think is the problem).  However,  he had a good sniff around and cocked his leg up a couple of them).  I gave him a good dose of rescue remedy on a lilys kitchen bedtime biscuit before we went out and he has been a bit calmer today, still turning and looking when he hears a car, but not jumping up as before.  He has to go on his barking mad holiday in a car soon, and he really stresses out in a car - whining, panting etc. so I am stocking up on zylkene, a dap collar, spraying his blanket with dap, and giving rescue remedy - should be one relaxed dog - hopefully. nail biting nail biting
densil
densil

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down