Muzzles

+2
Kathy
sininaz
6 posters

Go down

Muzzles Empty Muzzles

Post by sininaz Sat Feb 22 2014, 11:04

Is Sonic required to wear a muzzle when he goes out? He is such a friendly chap towards other people and dogs when I take him for a walk. I've heard that as Staffies are on the dangerous dog list they are supposed to have a muzzle in public.
sininaz
sininaz
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Sonic
Dog(s) Ages : 7 months
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 9

Back to top Go down

Muzzles Empty Re: Muzzles

Post by Guest Sat Feb 22 2014, 11:06

No Hun he doesn't have to wear a muzzle in public at all, unless he's been exempted as part of the dangerous dogs act under bsl, and if he had he'd have an exemption tattoo and the rescue centre would have told if that was the case Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Sat Feb 22 2014, 11:27

It depends where abouts in the world you are, some countries have different legislation to others. In the UK Staffies do not have to wear a muzzle unless you are told to do so by a court of law.
Kathy
Kathy
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Bane Sun Feb 23 2014, 11:07

We have a couple of other Aus members and I don't recall their Staffs having to wear a muzzle Smile
Bane
Bane

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Bane
Dog(s) Ages : 13th August 2013
Support total : 332

Back to top Go down

Post by StranraerHibby Sun Feb 23 2014, 14:03

I'm looking into getting a muzzle for my youngest dog, Faisal as he has an awful habit of eating seaweed. We've been to the vets several times when he has taken ill.

Anyone here have advice on how to get them used to a muzzle? Both my dogs have been on collars / harness' their whole life.
StranraerHibby
StranraerHibby
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Saxon, Faisal
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Sun Feb 23 2014, 16:51

StranraerHibby wrote:I'm looking into getting a muzzle for my youngest dog, Faisal as he has an awful habit of eating seaweed. We've been to the vets several times when he has taken ill.

Anyone here have advice on how to get them used to a muzzle? Both my dogs have been on collars / harness' their whole life.

A good guide in the link below for getting your dog used to wearing a muzzle:

http://www.morrco.com/trdogtowemu.html
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by StranraerHibby Sun Feb 23 2014, 18:23

Thanks Kathy I'll be sure to check out that link!   Smile 
StranraerHibby
StranraerHibby

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Saxon, Faisal
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by king brilliant Sun Feb 23 2014, 23:10

it all depends on national and local laws. spain (and in particular andalucia) has very, very draconian laws regarding so-called dangerous dogs, not to mention owners (and dogs!) having to undergo psychiatric testing and the acquisition of a renewable licence. If, during the lifetime of the dog, you, or any other person (who has to be over 18) is going to walk the dog fail the test during the dogs lifetime, it is put down, healthy or not....ANY dog over 25kg is classed as a dangerous dog, so your labrador guide dog had better get used to that muzzle...i know this because ive been planning on moving to spain, but i really want another staffie (which, incidentally has to be pure bred and KC registered-no crosses are allowed entry under any circumstances)..because of this, my dream may be in the bin..still, Italy has dropped ALL of its dangerous dogs legislation, and that is my second choice....
I hope you find your local laws are like they are here in England and employ a bit (and i mean, a 'bit') of common sense! Good luck!

king brilliant
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Support total : 6

Back to top Go down

Post by djstratton Mon Feb 24 2014, 01:58

sininaz wrote:Is Sonic required to wear a muzzle when he goes out? He is such a friendly chap towards other people and dogs when I take him for a walk. I've heard that as Staffies are on the dangerous dog list they are supposed to have a muzzle in public.

Not sure what the laws are in SA but in WA all the people I know with staffs DO NOT have to muzzle them. Unless a dog has been deemed a dangerous dog, I don't think any breed needs to wear them. And as far as I'm aware, English Staffords are not on the restricted/dangerous dog lists anywhere in Australia.

king brilliant wrote:it all depends on national and local laws. spain (and in particular andalucia) has very, very draconian laws regarding so-called dangerous dogs, not to mention owners (and dogs!) having to undergo psychiatric testing and the acquisition of a renewable licence. If, during the lifetime of the dog, you, or any other person (who has to be over 18) is going to walk the dog fail the test during the dogs lifetime, it is put down, healthy or not....ANY dog over 25kg is classed as a dangerous dog, so your  labrador guide dog had better get used to that muzzle...i know this because ive been planning on moving to spain, but i really want another staffie (which, incidentally has to be pure bred and KC registered-no crosses are allowed entry under any circumstances)..because of this, my dream may be in the bin..still, Italy has dropped ALL of its dangerous dogs legislation, and that is my second choice....
I hope you find your local laws are like they are here in England and employ a bit (and i mean, a 'bit') of common sense! Good luck!

We lived in Spain and owned Dogo Argentino's without any problems and they are under the list. We also imported our old boy from Thailand as well without any issues. Not once did we ever have to undergo any tests or have problems with the police when we took ours out in public. Also with Spain being very dog friendly, we have never seen any of the larger dogs (over 25kg) being muzzled in public and we see A LOT of them in the areas we would go for food. We will be moving back to Europe later this year with our staffy (fly into Spain but moving to Andorra) and have been advised that we won't have any issues. We did make sure that he had pedigree to prove though as I do know quite a few of the EU countries have real issues with cross breeds and you do need that little piece of paper as proof). Spain may have these laws but I haven't met anyone who has had any problems though including us. Hope this helps Smile
djstratton
djstratton

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Marquez
Dog(s) Ages : 18 months
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 119

Back to top Go down

Post by djstratton Mon Feb 24 2014, 02:01

sininaz wrote:Is Sonic required to wear a muzzle when he goes out? He is such a friendly chap towards other people and dogs when I take him for a walk. I've heard that as Staffies are on the dangerous dog list they are supposed to have a muzzle in public.

Just checked for you and NO you don't have to muzzle Sonic Smile

http://www.mitchamcouncil.sa.gov.au/page.aspx?u=1531

http://gooddogsa.com/files/InfoSheet[Prescribed_Breeds]_2.pdf
djstratton
djstratton

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Marquez
Dog(s) Ages : 18 months