shyfx
jshrew
silver
markrobo
Rachel33
16 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Need help on staffy breed is he cross ? Empty Need help on staffy breed is he cross ?

Post by pipsleak Tue Feb 18 2014, 07:04

Hi everyone ,Im a newbie, first of all what a fantastic website ...Ive none stopped googled since i got my new addition for all the info i need etc and have to say this by far the best ...Im worried that my new addition "fudgy bits" is a cross, with a pit bull... and if he is i want to make sure i go down the right procedure as Im told these breed of dogs are illegall, and NO-WAY DO I WANT TO LOSE HIM, so any info or advice would be greatly appreciated ... ive attached some photos , well i hope they work , fingers crossed.....

Need help on staffy breed is he cross ? IMG_0290_zps1638de45

Need help on staffy breed is he cross ? WP_000151_zps2fc5312e

Need help on staffy breed is he cross ? IMG_0283_zpsa7cec8a0
pipsleak
pipsleak
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Choccy Fudgy Bits
Dog(s) Ages : 7 month
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Need help on staffy breed is he cross ? Empty Re: Need help on staffy breed is he cross ?

Post by Rachel33 Tue Feb 18 2014, 08:01

Hiya! Welcome and congrats on taking in your first little one. We get people on here, usually at least once a week asking If their dog is a pit bull.. They're usually not! The problem that you're more likely to encounter is "type" which means anything that looks like it could be crossed with a pit bull (usually by crossing breeds of dogs, such as staffies with Labradors or mastiffs)

He certainly doesn't look like a pure bred stafford, and other than colour doesn't look like a pit bull either, though the DLO wouldn't be able to class him as type until he was 9 months old anyway and could measure him correctly. Where did you get him from? Did you see parents? I'm assuming there aren't any papers?

Why people try to breed pit bull looking dogs is beyond me, I love the breed and have worked with them for the last 5 years, but the law is the law and ultimately only the dog will suffer. To be honest, anything passes at type at the moment and they're really cracking down on it, none of them look alike and some are being seized for up to a year at a time and then destroyed if you can't afford the exemption fees. If you can afford the fees, they will be returned to you but must be kept on a lead and muzzled at all time in public places, even in the car! You don't want that for your little one. My girl is clearly a staffie cross and she's been measured 3 times, luckily she was passed.

Train and socialize him well, keep out of trouble and don't get yourself noticed for being irresponsible, you should be fine.
Rachel33
Rachel33
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Bug (Biscuit)
Dog(s) Ages : 7 ish
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 1012

Back to top Go down

Need help on staffy breed is he cross ? Empty Re: Need help on staffy breed is he cross ?

Post by markrobo Tue Feb 18 2014, 08:04

Hi ya and welcome hes beautiful just like my girl beau how old his he
markrobo
markrobo
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : beau
Dog(s) Ages : 12 months
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 99

Back to top Go down

Post by silver Tue Feb 18 2014, 08:52

Hi Marie
He's lovely and looks like my Reggie did at that age.
He was very big, but definitely full pedigree staff! He was much bigger than my girl Charlie.
Here they are...R.I.P
Need help on staffy breed is he cross ? Pupsinthesun_zpsc6703af7
silver
silver
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Toots
Dog(s) Ages : 21/11/13
Support total : 103

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 18 2014, 08:55

He looks like a cross but not a Pit Bull cross so don't worry.  biggrin Enjoy him because he is gorgeous.

Back to top Go down

Post by jshrew Tue Feb 18 2014, 09:16

He's gorgeous but doesn't look pit to me but then still has some growing and filling out to do. Best advice is never mention it always describe him as a Staffy cross

As a responsible owner make sure he is well trained and socialized, clean up after him in public etc and there will be no need for any interest from the authorities
jshrew
jshrew
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Moderator

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Ledger and Maple
Dog(s) Ages : 7 and 2
Dog Gender(s) : Male and Female
Support total : 209

Back to top Go down

Post by pipsleak Tue Feb 18 2014, 09:19

hi markrobo and Rachel33 he`s roughly 8mth, i don`t know exact as my son bought him as a present for someone, but they decided they didn`t want him , and i said ok we will look after him till we find a good home, and because im allergic to cats and dogs (but for some reason likkle fudgy bits doesnt effect me ;-) and after a week Id fallen in love he was part of the family , such a great character , no way could i part with him ) My son got told mum was staff and dad pitbull...but my son is 17 (niave etc etc) so i dont know if they were telling him porkies and i dont really know anything on staffs or pitbulls, pretty niave myself ;-( hence why ive been doing alot of googling ...he has a great temprement , and is really good with commands....;-) Rachell33 i dont know anything on this measuring , do you have any more info please, much appreciated, i have read something about how they decide if there crossed, all to do with what characteristics they have most of etc etc and actually measurement of head etc etc all went over my head as i couldnt even tell you what a staff or pit bull looked like , but im learning fast ....markrobo your girl is gorgeous and she is the double of my likkle boy ;-) is yours crossed ? xx
pipsleak
pipsleak

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 18 2014, 09:20

Looks cross to me but don't know what with. Whatever what a gorgeous boy  Love Struck 

Back to top Go down

Post by shyfx Tue Feb 18 2014, 09:33

Can I say and I'm sure someone with more knowledge will correct me if I'm wrong. I was under the impression that Pit Bulls were legal in this country if they were Microchipped,neutered/spayed and had to be muzzled when they went out,they had to be insured and registered. It doesn't look like he has pit in him I wouldn't worry he is gorgeous. If I read that right you say they may have told him porkies. Thats highly likely I mean they may of just said that because it adds a supposed "edge" to it especially to a young lad.

Fair play him to buying it and giving him a good home though,Glad you've decided to keep him,it gives him a good loving home and stops him from becoming another statistic in the dog home

shyfx
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Suzy
Dog(s) Ages : 2
Support total : 16

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel33 Tue Feb 18 2014, 09:58

pipsleak wrote:hi markrobo and Rachel33  he`s  roughly 8mth, i don`t know exact as my son bought him as a present for someone, but they decided they didn`t want him , and i said ok we will look after him till we find a good home, and because im allergic to cats and dogs (but for some reason likkle fudgy bits doesnt effect me ;-) and after a week Id fallen in love he was part of the family , such a great character , no way could i part with him  ) My son  got told mum was staff and dad pitbull...but my son is 17 (niave etc etc) so i dont know if they were telling him porkies and i dont really know anything on staffs or pitbulls, pretty niave myself ;-( hence why ive been doing alot of googling ...he has a great temprement , and is really good with commands....;-) Rachell33 i dont know anything on this measuring , do you have any more info please, much appreciated, i have read something about how they decide if there crossed, all to do with what characteristics they have most of etc etc and actually measurement of head etc etc all went over my head as i couldnt even tell you what a staff or pit bull looked like , but im learning fast ....markrobo your girl is gorgeous and she is the double of my likkle boy ;-) is yours crossed ? xx

To be honest, I really wouldn't worry about what the guy said to your son, most people haven't got a clue and just say these things with no basis to them. It's great that you've stopped him being passed around now, as so many are, and that he's found a loving home. Basically, there are a set of measurements that the police/DLO officers will use to measure the dogs, generally they will take them in if they suspect that they are type and they will then carry out the tests, if they fall within these measurements then they can be put through the courts to either be put to sleep of put on the exempted register. They will look at things such as height, length, body shape, ears and where the eyes are set and the shape of them. However, it's all pretty rubbish as I've seen the tiniest little blue staffy girl be passed as type, as well as a massive american bull dog cross.

To be honest, anybody with a bull breed cross without papers is at risk of being picked up, just depends on luck of the draw (that's really how backwards this law is!!!) so just keep doing what you're doing and be a responsible owner, don't bring any attention to him. If by chance the police do come to your dog, DO NOT sign anything and contact "DDA watch" for further advice, they're a really helpful bunch and can help you through the courts. Either way, you haven't got a pit bull there. He looks almost vizsla or ridgeback cross! Very cute either way Smile Sure he's a little charmer.
Rachel33
Rachel33

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel33 Tue Feb 18 2014, 10:02

shyfx wrote:Can I say and I'm sure someone with more knowledge will correct me if I'm wrong. I was under the impression that Pit Bulls were legal in this country if they were Microchipped,neutered/spayed and had to be muzzled when they went out,they had to be insured and registered. It doesn't look like he has pit in him I wouldn't worry he is gorgeous. If I read that right you say they may have told him porkies. Thats highly likely I mean they may of just said that because it adds a supposed "edge" to it especially to a young lad.

Fair play him to buying it and giving him a good home though,Glad you've decided to keep him,it gives him a good loving home and stops him from becoming another statistic in the dog home

They're illegal, but you can apply to the authorities (before purchasing one preferably!!) to be a registered keeper of a Pit Bull if you so require, doesn't mean they'll let you though. The cost to get all of this done is about £2,000 plus so most people wouldn't bother. If they end up in rescue centre however and are deemed to be type or pure breed pit bull, they will be put to sleep immediately, rescue's cannot legally rehome illegal breeds of dogs. I've seen so many staffie crosses end up in kennels as strays and deemed as type and put to sleep. It's just horrendous. But you can't change the law!
Rachel33
Rachel33

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Tue Feb 18 2014, 10:17

look nothing like an pitbull to me it look like an crossbreed, the only way of legal owning pitbull if your dog get seized and the court thinks the dog isn't risk to the joe public, your an good enough owner to own one and be placve on the IED = Index of Exempted Dogs

Your dog must be:

• neutered
  • tattooed
  • microchipped
  • kept on a lead and muzzled at all times when in public
  • kept in a secure place so it can’t escape

As the owner, you must:

• take out insurance against your dog injuring other people
  • be aged over 16
  • show the Certificate of Exemption when asked by a police officer or council dog warden, either at the time or within 5 days
  • let the IED know if you change address, or your dog dies

Steve

Status Status :

Male
Support total : 1443

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Debs01 Tue Feb 18 2014, 10:18

I've been silently stalking the DDA Watch's Facebook site and basically the police will take any size or shape of dog, there are some dogs on there that even have papers and they've been taken and assessed for type so you really can't tell. Saying that, I think most of the dogs that are taken have either been complained about by neighbours or escaped from gardens and caused trouble so if you keep him trained and well behaved and like Rach says above don't draw attention to him then you should be okay. My boy is much bigger than the usual staffie and i'm constantly worried about him being taken but its all part of having a bull breed at the moment I guess Sad Hopefully things will change, I think there's more awareness about responsible dog ownership and how BSL doesn't work.

Its fantastic that you didn't pass him on and decided to keep him, he's gorgeous, enjoy him Big Grin
Debs01
Debs01

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Axl
Dog(s) Ages : 3
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 189

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Tue Feb 18 2014, 10:25

I keep away from pages like that, if you an good owner & and dont go around saying you have an so call pitbull then you dont have to worry about your dog being seized the police has enough on their hands to worry about an dog.

Steve

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel33 Tue Feb 18 2014, 10:28

Steve wrote:I keep away from pages like that, if you an good owner & and dont go around saying you have an so call pitbull then you dont have to worry about your dog being seized the police has enough on their hands to worry about an dog.

Steve, they've been walking around and picking random dogs out of parks down here. A friend was approached in the middle of the city a few months ago and is now going through the courts. They're really cracking down on it. If you look on the DDA watch page there are thousands, many from responsible owners.
Rachel33
Rachel33

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Tue Feb 18 2014, 10:35

if you live in london or liverpool not in nottingham i see many "TYPE" around i haven't see a dog warden for about 9 years

Steve

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Tue Feb 18 2014, 10:39

we have an police officer on here she says the dog has only to fit 51% (in whatever the test they do but cross breed you could easy get over that % even without having any pitbull in it) I dont even think she seized a dog.

here an 100% american pitbull terrier
Need help on staffy breed is he cross ? 488090_4512283244829_1817463551_n

Need help on staffy breed is he cross ? 199763_4678882769713_952400322_n

Steve

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel33 Tue Feb 18 2014, 10:44

Maybe the HUNDREDS that I've personally had to restrain whilst they've been killed over the last few years have been typed by dodgy police officers then because very few of them were 51%

Again, I can't legally talk about what happens in kennels but some of the conversations that I've had with the authorities about this law would make your skin crawl.
Rachel33
Rachel33

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 18 2014, 10:48

Rachel33 wrote:Maybe the HUNDREDS that I've personally had to restrain whilst they've been killed over the last few years have been typed by dodgy police officers then because very few of them were 51%

Again, I can't legally talk about what happens in kennels but some of the conversations that I've had with the authorities about this law would make your skin crawl.

That breaks my heart Rachel  Sad 

Back to top Go down

Post by pipsleak Tue Feb 18 2014, 11:01

i don`t know if its me , but when i see them pictures , that`s what made me think pit bull in him as well ;-( so i had to do my research , but i obviously havent a clue about pit bulls , even with resembling photos pffftttt ...so glad ive asked , cos i would of been worrying myself silly .... and so glad i do alot of research till i do find the answers or good advice xx and that is heartbreaking Rachel , totally heartbreaking ;-( xx there is so many different opinions out there about these type of dogs , its all wrong some of the stories ive read xx
pipsleak
pipsleak

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Tue Feb 18 2014, 11:11

your dog look more like an bull terrier x then an pitbull Wink

Steve

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Tue Feb 18 2014, 11:13

also i wouldn't go around saying you have an pitbull or pitbull cross, because you have not the photos l;ook nothing like each other IMO, you can also get send down for an year & £5,000 fine if you get found guilty of knowing ownign an pitbull

Steve

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Debs01 Tue Feb 18 2014, 11:29

I always get nervous when I see police as Axl is much bigger than a pure bred staffie, last time he was weighed by the vet he was 24kg and there's not much fat on him he's about 17-18inchs tall but I've been told he looks a little like he has black lab in him, sometimes I can see rottie in his face, I dunno really there's plenty of pictures of him on here so any guesses would be good!  

All I can do is hope he's not seized and make sure he's trained well and I'm responsible with him.  Hopefully that day will never come but if it does I'll deal with it then Smile

Last edited by Debs01 on Tue Feb 18 2014, 11:30; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling!)
Debs01
Debs01

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Tue Feb 18 2014, 11:46

the odds of your dog getting seized is very low i will put money on it Sad you be very unlucky if you every do dont worry Smile xx if you an good owner & your dog doesn't have an problem you be fine trust me xx

Steve

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Debs01 Tue Feb 18 2014, 11:54

Yeah that's what I thought Steve, thanks xx
Debs01
Debs01

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Debs01 Tue Feb 18 2014, 11:56

Also, sorry for hijacking your post Marie! I think you will also be fine if you make sure you're responsible and your gorgeous boy is well trained x
Debs01
Debs01

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 18 2014, 11:59

Your boy is gorgeous and whilst I don't see pit in him he's crossed with something Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by pipsleak Tue Feb 18 2014, 12:06

haha  Wink no worries Debs01 , i was starting to sound totally dim lol.Im sure i will be thank you and thank you steve xx yeah he definately crossed was looking at the Vizsla and ridgeback that rachel33 mentioned , he definately has vizsla traits ;-) xx
pipsleak
pipsleak

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Debs01 Tue Feb 18 2014, 12:11

He definitely could be a Vizla cross now it's been mentioned I can see it Smile
Debs01
Debs01

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 18 2014, 12:25

Hey Marie! Has no one told you lots of pics are mandatory giggle we'd love to see more of you stunning boy Love Struck

Back to top Go down

Post by Bane Tue Feb 18 2014, 14:30

That second photo made me think vizsla! There is one that Bane plays with at the park exactly the same colour! Smile
You have an absolutely stunning pup!
Bane
Bane

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Bane
Dog(s) Ages : 13th August 2013
Support total : 332

Back to top Go down

Post by markrobo Tue Feb 18 2014, 17:21

Pipsleak I brought my beau as a staff bull terrier and I saw both her parents and were both bull terriers her dog was very leggy  she's the same colour as her mom
markrobo
markrobo

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Simi Tue Feb 18 2014, 17:31

I hopeless at saying if they are a staffy cross or not

I know with Lula she is changing all the time and will keep changing for a while yet. Lula mum was a lovely little staff with the most amazing personality about her. I hope she turns out like her mum and about the same size.
Simi
Simi

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Tallulah
Dog(s) Ages : 21/11/13
Support total : 47

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Tue Feb 18 2014, 18:24

markrobo wrote:Pipsleak I brought my beau as a staff bull terrier and I saw both her parents and were both bull terriers her dog was very leggy  she's the same colour as her mom

what was the parents bull terrier or staffordshire bull terrier?

Steve

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by markrobo Tue Feb 18 2014, 18:30

Staffordshire Bull terrier steve leggy one them nearly all leggy in the black country in the midlands the old type!
markrobo
markrobo

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Tue Feb 18 2014, 18:32

http://staffy-bull-terrier.com/staffordshire_bull_terrier_types

Steve

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by markrobo Tue Feb 18 2014, 19:09

I aye bothered what my dogs x with we love her the same shes a big part of our family
markrobo
markrobo

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Tue Feb 18 2014, 19:12

that all what matters Smile i had to post that link so people dont get confused becasue there only one type of staffordshire bull terrier

Steve

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by markrobo Tue Feb 18 2014, 19:23

I am going to find a picture to show u of my old dog max I think u will like it he was a pure Staffordshire bull terrier he had champions in his family tree in his predigree papers his was the most beautiful dog I had ever seen and the most loyal dog I have ever had sadly on the 1st of December he sadly had to be put to sleep due to cancer I see all the bad press about these dog an just wish poeple would understand that its the owners of these dog who are in the wrong not the dogs my max was always so loving an carefull with my kids as thay grow up and always was by there side to protect them he is sadly missed although our pup beau is not a pure staff I am sure she will be just like max was cause she will always be loved and cared for I just wish all dog owners wherever the same as all the members on this site who care for there dogs as dog should be
markrobo
markrobo

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by markrobo Tue Feb 18 2014, 19:28

Forgot to mention max was the good old age of  16 when he passed lots of great memories hes in gods hands now  probly runnin round the park with his favourite play toy a plastic bottle lol
markrobo
markrobo

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by pipsleak Tue Feb 18 2014, 20:27

really sorry to hear that markrobo,;-( your right it doesnt matter what kind of dog they are , as long as they are loved , treat and brought up as they should be.....part of the family ...i can only imagine what you went thru when he sadly passed away, Ive only had fudgy bits 4mths and the love i feel for him is unbelievable already , hence why i didnt just want someone taking him away from me, and wanted to make sure i had done everything right....apparantly my boy is telling me his mum is full staff, and dad pit same colour as my fudgy pfffftttt arguing with a 17 year old , silence child lol...i dont care as long as im lucky and not get him `typed` i told my vet hes staff cross , she thinks hes adorable and never said a word ;-) xx beau is gorgeous ,really adorable he does look alot like my fudgy ;-)
pipsleak
pipsleak

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by pipsleak Tue Feb 18 2014, 20:30

Need help on staffy breed is he cross ? 4aa377aa-b1d7-49ab-87de-117aacac5e99_zpsdb6e8a79

Need help on staffy breed is he cross ? 1377010_10202381464717367_1461653509_n_zps032e20d5

Need help on staffy breed is he cross ? IMG_0562_zps23a86c57

some more pics xxxx
pipsleak
pipsleak

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 18 2014, 20:36

Oh wow he's stunning!!! I waited patiently all day. Smile thanks for sharing.

Back to top Go down

Post by markrobo Tue Feb 18 2014, 20:37

I can't believe how much a like they are beautiful I will post more pics asap plz keep posting ur pic's
markrobo
markrobo

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by pipsleak Tue Feb 18 2014, 20:39

i would love to see more pics of beau  Smile and thankyou Hayley xx
pipsleak
pipsleak

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by markrobo Tue Feb 18 2014, 21:12

Just put new pic of beau in my avatar just guna try and load some more
markrobo
markrobo

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by jackc92 Wed Feb 19 2014, 17:26

Looks the shape of my ivy when she was that age i got all worried that she might be a pitbull or have pitbull in her because people used to say it to me all the time and somebody even reported her to the police and they came round and didnt really have a clue what they were talking about you find that in time if you just stick to the fact she a staffy cross and dont mention the word pit you'l be fine. There's no way of knowing what breed a dog is unless you have a pedigree anwyay ,if anybody say my ivy is a pitbull now or asks what she is i just say shes a staffy cross idiot.
Need help on staffy breed is he cross ? 26A79CF1-FB00-49C3-937E-4819331EDC8A-21747-00000A99628256AA_zpsb673e553
jackc92
jackc92
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Sheen,Ivy
Dog(s) Ages : 2 years
Dog Gender(s) : Male ,Female
Support total : 9

Back to top Go down

Post by markrobo Wed Feb 19 2014, 17:36

Wow jack shes beautiful just like beau and fudgy bits !
markrobo
markrobo

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by jackc92 Wed Feb 19 2014, 17:44

that was her at ten month shes changed alot now like grew into her long snout she had so im guessing pipsleak's dog and your beau will make some big shape changes with age as there only young  Smile 
heres a recent pic at 13 months Need help on staffy breed is he cross ? 668FE4DB-8A70-415B-8C78-0A403D02705C_zpsqtcem29x
jackc92
jackc92

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Sheen,Ivy
Dog(s) Ages : 2 years
Dog Gender(s) : Male ,Female
Support total : 9

Back to top Go down

Post by markrobo Wed Feb 19 2014, 17:55

Wow mate shes a stunner send some more pics mate and I will try and post some
markrobo
markrobo

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next