Lots of advice needed

+2
Rachel33
debtom
6 posters

Go down

Lots of advice needed Empty Lots of advice needed

Post by debtom Wed Feb 05 2014, 13:47

Ok, so I explained about Caley and her knee.  Well she is having an operation as we speak  Smile 

They are pinning and wiring her knee.  Apparently it is more common in little dogs than staffies.  Well we have been told that she needs 5 weeks of complete rest, no moving around, especially no going on her back legs, no stairs up or down...bascially nothing but laying there....Errmmm I don't think they know my Caley, she is not even 2 yet and is hell to keep quiet.

So how do I do it?  We will keep her in the crate all the time and carry her into the garden for toilet breaks (that will be a challenge as she goes loopy out there, I have already tried for the last week putting her on the lead but she still fights to run around out there).  We will also carry her up to bed as she sleeps in a crate beside our bed.

I have kongs and stag bars, but I just know she is going to look at me with those eyes and make me feel awful.  The worst part will be when we come home from work she is always so excited, how on earth do I keep her calm.

The vet mentioned that if she damages it after surgery it will mean more surgery, I so do not want that to happen.  Someone mentioned a Kalms you can put in their water, anyone heard of this?

Any advice or tips would be massively appreciated.
debtom
debtom
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Lots of advice needed Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Caley
Dog(s) Ages : Born 2 April 2012
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 18

Back to top Go down

Lots of advice needed Empty Re: Lots of advice needed

Post by Rachel33 Wed Feb 05 2014, 14:04

Biscuit was on rest for 6 weeks when she had her tumour removed.. she's generally a very calm girl but it was a challenge! Especially as I lived in a top floor flat and had to carry her (at 24kg, she got a bit fat while on rest with all the kongs) up and down 3 flights of stairs!!! I did lots of obedience and fun training but even that would be off limits for your little one I guess Sad 

Doubt that kalms would touch her, they're very mild! I wouldn't really feel comfortable putting her on a longer term sedatives.. but you could talk to your vet about DAP? 

All I can suggest is what you've already said; cage rest, carrying, on lead whilst going to the toilet etc. Just wrap her up in cotton wool  Laughing Lots of kongs, stag bars and cuddles!
Rachel33
Rachel33
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Bug (Biscuit)
Dog(s) Ages : 7 ish
Support total : 1012

Back to top Go down

Post by JStaff Wed Feb 05 2014, 21:48

That would be very hard. If it's just her back legs she can't be on have you looked for a walker device. I've seen them on dogs who either don't have rear legs or can't use them anymore. I've no idea where to get one but your vet may know.
JStaff
JStaff
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Suki
Dog(s) Ages : 5
Support total : 859

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Wed Feb 05 2014, 22:13

You will manage. Moo was on rest for just over a month whilst arthritis was diagnosed. She coped fine it was me that struggled. She so wanted to go out and her little face pleading made me feel terrible but at the end of the day you are doing what helps. Good luck my love and you can do it xxxx
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by -Ian- Thu Feb 06 2014, 00:45

Ah, Flo had a similar knee op and the vet said complete rest. The OH said, and I outed " she's a Staff, how on earth do you keep a Staff still"

Good point I thought.. We ended up crating her for a week just so as the wound healed. In essence she was allowed out during the day but no climbing or jumping and the crate at night to make sure she didn't do anything at night.

Don't be too scared of letting her do things, after all, she is a Staff and we all know there is no keeping a Staff still for long, just watch her and stop her from over exerting the leg. No climbing and no jumping for a few weeks.

Hope all is well and good luck keeping her quiet.

Staffy-Bull-Terrier Online Community
Meet the forum staff - Who's Who
Please read the forum rules - Click Here.

Lots of advice needed B110
-Ian-
-Ian-

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Anything, she's Deaf !
Dog(s) Ages : RIP Flo
Dog Gender(s) : Girl
Support total : 2862

Back to top Go down

Post by debtom Thu Feb 06 2014, 09:44

Well she has had the Op...OMG the poor thing, she strapped in a bright red bandage until Friday (although, the vet has now requested she goes back today as it has slipped).  We got her a large big bed to lay on so she is comfy.  She refuses to move, when we stand her up in garden she does not do anything, poor little thing keeps crying, kept my hubby up all night (he has time off, I dont), she has eaten chicken and rice and porridge but refuses to drink and most certainly will not attempt to go toilet..poor thing.

The one funny thing is we got her a new bone to gnaw on, we left the room and I peeked around the corner to see what she was doing and she was gnawing on her bone as soon as I walked back in the room she stopped and started crying lol little madam.  She then kept looking up at the settee and looking like she was was gong to try and make a beeline for it (althought she can't walk), my hubby then decided to put her in the crate and surprisingly she relaxed more and is fast asleep now.  Roll on the next 6 weeks.  Its so tough seeing them like that.
debtom
debtom
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Lots of advice needed Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Caley
Dog(s) Ages : Born 2 April 2012
Support total : 18

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 06 2014, 09:54

Aww deb I'm glad thing went well, and caley is doing good poor thing, you can do it and we're here for you anytime Lots of advice needed 3198918699 xxx

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Thu Feb 06 2014, 11:01

debtom wrote:Well she has had the Op...OMG the poor thing, she strapped in a bright red bandage until Friday (although, the vet has now requested she goes back today as it has slipped).  We got her a large big bed to lay on so she is comfy.  She refuses to move, when we stand her up in garden she does not do anything, poor little thing keeps crying, kept my hubby up all night (he has time off, I dont), she has eaten chicken and rice and porridge but refuses to drink and most certainly will not attempt to go toilet..poor thing.

The one funny thing is we got her a new bone to gnaw on, we left the room and I peeked around the corner to see what she was doing and she was gnawing on her bone as soon as I walked back in the room she stopped and started crying lol little madam.  She then kept looking up at the settee and looking like she was was gong to try and make a beeline for it (althought she can't walk), my hubby then decided to put her in the crate and surprisingly she relaxed more and is fast asleep now.  Roll on the next 6 weeks.  Its so tough seeing them like that.

Sounds like she may be doing some of the crying for attention, bless her. Hope she manages to get plenty of rest, and you too.  Lots of advice needed 3198918699 
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down