Travelling between homes...

4 posters

Go down

Travelling between homes... Empty Travelling between homes...

Post by Charlotte4219 Thu Jan 30 2014, 10:22

My husband and I are due to rescue a staffy, hopefully in the next few weeks if meet and greet etc go okay.

My main concern is that because husband is in the army, and my home town in 2.5hrs away...I regulary visit my family (staying at my mums) for weeks at a time.

Therefore technically it is very much like living between two places. I know this may be confusing to a dog. I will be consistant, but the location will not be. My husband will also be staying at our martical home most the time when I visit my mum as he has his work to do.

So I'm thinking what will help him settle into this way of living? From what the rescue said...he seems quite relaxed and takes things in his stride, but I want to try and make it as easy as possible.

I'm thinking that his bed can travel with us where possible. I will ensure each house has a bed, but if we're travelling in the car then bring one bed around with us most the time...so that is also consistant. I will also attempt to keep his routine the same in each house with walks and feeding.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Charlotte4219
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Travelling between homes... Empty Re: Travelling between homes...

Post by Kathy Thu Jan 30 2014, 11:38

Will you be remaining in the same place for the first couple of months that the dog is with you ?

Try not to worry too much, his home is wherever you are .
Kathy
Kathy
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel33 Thu Jan 30 2014, 11:44

I did this for a little while when my OH was in the army, Biscuit is a very sensitive dog and didn't cope with it very well.. had a few accidents in the house and got quite stressed etc. However, I recently rehomed a dog that a lady shares with her sister, she has her one week, her sister the next! I know it sounds a little odd, but this dog was never going to be rehomed otherwise!! And as she's so confident and happy, she copes with it really well! I think it depends on the dogs, some need a strict routine and others just go with the flow really. If he's as chilled at they have described, hopefully he won't have any problems. Though it can take a little while to adjust from kennels, so perhaps stay in one place for a little while to begin with xx
Rachel33
Rachel33
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Bug (Biscuit)
Dog(s) Ages : 7 ish
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 1012

Back to top Go down

Post by JStaff Thu Jan 30 2014, 11:58

Consistancy with routine should help. Also having similar toys etc at both locations.
JStaff
JStaff

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Suki
Dog(s) Ages : 5
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 859

Back to top Go down

Post by Charlotte4219 Thu Jan 30 2014, 13:16

I will pack all his stuff if necessary, anything that will help.

I also study in the town that my mum resides so although I can do this from home for up to about 2 weeks, that is the limit really. Since husband is in the army I'd rather the doggy came with me as I can provide more of a routine. I guess only time will tell. He has been in kennels for about 2.5 years now so I think he deserves his chance to see how he copes definitely.

I really hope it works. After March it will be much easier to stay in once place as my timetable is nil apart from exams in May/June (will pop back for them when necessary), I just don't want to pass up the perfect dog (we have many requirements in a dog as has to be good with kids/cats/other dogs/travelling etc) or make him wait in kennels for much longer just whilst I finish off my studies as I know other than this we can provide a perfect home for him.

Thank you all so much for your quick and helpful replies.

Charlotte4219

Status Status :

Female
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down