Dog Park/Know it all RANT!

2 posters

Go down

Dog Park/Know it all RANT! Empty Dog Park/Know it all RANT!

Post by Guest Fri May 13 2011, 15:48

I was going to write this as a response in an other post, but it got so long and rant-y that I felt like I would be taking away from that post and thought I should make it's own post instead. Enjoy my rant!! Haha!

ella wrote:i don't think he does, but he's one who thinks he knows everything about everything.

The boyfriend's brother is like that. He always has a comment about things that he knows nothing about, and always pretends to be an expert. Since his girlfriend's mother got a great dane puppy last year, he now thinks he knows everything there is to know about raising a dog!! Last I saw him, he started going on and on about how we have to socialize Saxon more by taking him to dog parks. I told him I would never take Saxon to a dog park, because you never know what kind of dogs are there. He said as long as you can control your own dog, nothing will happen. The other dogs will sense you are in control and won't go after him... Um, no that isn't true, I'll steer clear of dog parks, thank you very much. Don't know if they have them elsewhere, but dog parks in the states are fenced in parks for people to take their dogs. The most uneducated and irresponsible people bring their dogs to these parks. Half the dogs are Dog Aggressive or Dog Selective and some people even bring unaltered dogs* so fights happen all the time! Had the boyfriend's brother ever actually owned a dog or done any research on raising a dog, he would have known that dog parks are not safe and there are much better ways to socialize a dog! We take Saxon to the beach as the dog owners there are more responsible. Because it isn't fenced in, most of the people that go there have much better control over their dogs and just know there dogs a bit better. We always leave if there are too many dogs to keep track of or if there or if any dog makes us nervous in any way. Saxon still gets to socialize, but he is in much less danger than at a dog park!!

Saxon enjoying socializing on the beach with a dog friend:
Dog Park/Know it all RANT! IMG02278-20110428-1926

*As for unaltered dogs, we once took our foster Pit Bull, Benny, to the dog park and there was a woman with an unaltered female "Lab"** in heat!! All the male dogs ran straight for her and began sniffing her and going crazy! They started snapping at one an other and growling and barking. I (who weigh all of 120lbs, 54kg) had to pick up Benny (who weighed about 55lbs, 25kg) and run out of there!! The whole time the woman was standing back with her hands in the air and shrieking, "You better not let your mutts mount my Princess! She's pure bred AKC Lab and I don't want her birthin' no mutts!!" Needless to say, we never went back after that and I swore off dog parks forever!!

The 55lb Benny that I had to carry out of the dog park:
Dog Park/Know it all RANT! DSC_0124-1

**Lab in quotes because that chubby little brown dog couldn't have been more than 15" tall (38cm) and 40lbs (18 kg)! According to the AKC: The height at the withers for a dog is 22½ to 24½ inches; for a bitch is 21½ to 23½ inches. Any variance greater than ½ inch above or below these heights is a disqualification. Approximate weight of dogs and bitches in working condition: dogs 65 to 80 pounds; bitches 55 to 70 pounds.

Last edited by CatStina on Fri May 13 2011, 15:52; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Added the AKC Standard size for a Lab)

Back to top Go down

Dog Park/Know it all RANT! Empty Re: Dog Park/Know it all RANT!

Post by janey Fri May 13 2011, 15:52

I can't imagine little you trying to lug that great lump from the dog park! We don't have dog parks where I live and I'm with you, I wouldn't use it anyway if the owners are as irresponciable as you say!
janey
janey
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 13 2011, 16:14

it's good to get it off your chest, at least you are a responsible owner

love the photos

Love Struck

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 13 2011, 16:20

who the hell in their right mind would take a female dog on heat to a dog park where dogs run free... surely could only be an idiot that would do that!!

I remember watching Caesar Millan's show and he said one of the worse places for dog fights is a dog park. So many people take their dogs there because they are enclosed and at least they know their dog can't escape!

ps Benny is beautiful !! Love Struck

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 13 2011, 16:30

haha i feel special with my quote there! sorry anyway, i really hate people like that TBH my mum is very much the same, she had never seen a staffy until we got harvey yet she seems to think she knows everything about them, how 'nasty' they are and won't let family members see him! not that i'm bothered means i get to see her less Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 13 2011, 16:42

Hah, Ella, you should feel special!! Your rant inspired my rant!! Big Grin

I added the photos to sort of diffuse the situation going on in my head, glad you all like them!!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 13 2011, 16:59

Blushing hehe!

the photos are lovely though!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 13 2011, 17:08

vanessa wrote:who the hell in their right mind would take a female dog on heat to a dog park where dogs run free... surely could only be an idiot that would do that!!

Vanessa, she certainly meets yours and my "criteria". What a stupid b...., she doesn't deserve to own a dog, let alone one that has the capability of producing a litter!!!
On another note, good looking PBT.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 13 2011, 19:47

Milly is in season now and I only take her out late at night or first thing in the morning and she is not allowed of the lead I would be terrifiyed if another dog comes on the feild I take her home. Why do somepeople do such stupid things

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat May 14 2011, 00:50

vanessa wrote:who the hell in their right mind would take a female dog on heat to a dog park where dogs run free... surely could only be an idiot that would do that!!

Surprised Surprised Surprised Some people just don't think

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerrby Sat May 14 2011, 09:18

Loopy wrote: Surprised Surprised Surprised Some people just don't think

/Bitterness on - >Smile

There's a quote that sum's up humanity if I've ever heard it.

/Bitterness off - angel
Kerrby
Kerrby
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Voodoo
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat May 14 2011, 14:15

Kerrby wrote:
/Bitterness on - >Smile

There's a quote that sum's up humanity if I've ever heard it.

/Bitterness off - angel
Couldn't agree more!! At least with most of the people who go to dog parks!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down