Staffy Getting Destructive

5 posters

Go down

Staffy Getting Destructive Empty Staffy Getting Destructive

Post by stuandlee Fri May 13 2011, 13:24

Our Staffy boy is about 17 months old and a rehome. We havent had him long - about a month and hes great but I must admit im starting to get concerned about when he is left alone. Everytime I go out, I dread coming back.

Its not anything major like cooker nobs or doors but he keeps chewing pens (I dont even know where he is finding them?!) He jumps up to the worktops and pulls down what he can. He has torn up my sons favourite t shirt that was on the radiator, chomped through my babies teddy and Today he has chewed our VINTAGE foot stool and its all over the living room. I have also noticed that he has started on the sofa - the cushions were all over the floor so he is obviously playing about with them.

Our kitchen currently has no door so he currently has the run of there and the dining and living room as they run through to each other. Plus the landing upstairs.

We have an out house that leads to the garden and we did put him out there but our neighbours said he didnt stop whining and barking, so its not fair on others if he is going to do that.

The problem is, I keep thinking maybe its because he is scared of being left alone as it is still early days and he didnt have a great start in life. Even so, its not acceptable...

I also find it hard to say NO THATS NAUGHTY because he gets so petrified (he was beaten by previous owners - and then kicked out the back of a moving car.....) Because when I do say NO he closes his eyes super tight and crawls across the floor with his tail between his legs, sometimes wetting himself.

Really am stuck in a rut with my beautiful soppy boy....

Crying or Very sad

stuandlee
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Ralf
Dog Gender(s) : Boy
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Staffy Getting Destructive Empty Re: Staffy Getting Destructive

Post by janey Fri May 13 2011, 13:33

Crate train him, I'm sure his behaviour will improve in time, but for now I think thats your best option, it will also give him his own den, a comfort place and may help him settle quicker. He has had a bad start to life and needs to regain his trust in people x
janey
janey
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 13 2011, 13:46

Poor boy. Sounds like he had a real rough start in life.
Good on you for giving him a loving home.

He could be chewing through Boredom. When he is by himself does he have a variety of items that he is allowed to chew such as rope toys, kong, etc..... Also, how long is he generally left alone for???? He is bound to go looking for things to do to bide his time until "his people" arrive home again . Maybe try tiring him out before you leave by taking him for a walk or playing some fetch etc....
Good luck.

Back to top Go down

Post by burties35 Fri May 13 2011, 13:50

Yep I agree with Janey on the crate training. It's their own place where they can feel safe and secure and it also saves your house from being destroyed. Bodhi is crate trained and will often put himself in there when he's shattered or wants some alone time and saves our possesions when we are out as he is a constant chewer. Big Grin
burties35
burties35
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Staffy Getting Destructive Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Bodhi
Dog Gender(s) : Male

Back to top Go down

Post by stuandlee Fri May 13 2011, 13:55

Yeah he has tons of chews - ropey ones, tough plastic ones. he is usually left for the school runs and then maybe if i go shopping in the day. So not a huge amount of time.

I have heard about these Cong things so I might invest in one.

I also heard Crates are really good but of course thats what he lived in in the rehome centre so im dubious to get one, but perhaps it would do him good.

Thanks! Smile

stuandlee

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Ralf
Dog Gender(s) : Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 13 2011, 14:44

Kongs are great if your dog is interested in them. You can fill them with all sorts of goodies for your dog to enjoy and even freeze them to make the filling harder to get at Wink and taking your dog longer. They are extremely tough compared to many toys etc... available for your dog and can keep them occupied for quite some time.

I have never used a crate but since joining these forums have heard a LOT about using them. If you are only away from the house for relatively short periods of time I can't see there being a problem, even if your dog was caged at the rehome centre. Once he knows that he is safe and you will return to make a fuss of him he should get used to it. I hear a lot of people suggesting to get your dog used to it first with the door open.
If it will save your house and your belongings then maybe it is worth a try.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 13 2011, 16:45

i would definitely suggest a crate.for me its been a "house"saver. woody is a known chewer - if its chewable its history if he is left alone with it including things that may harm him like cables etc. somepeople view it as cruel but woody does not have to be forced into his crate - i say bedtime woody and (somethimes wiht a little persuasion) he walks in himself. for me its the same as putting a baby in its cot, its there to protect them from harm (wiht the added bonus of protecting your home).

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 13 2011, 16:58

a crate is the best thing you will ever buy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 13 2011, 17:48

The crate is every dog owner's (and every dog's) best friend! Gives them a safe and secure place to hide when they need their own space, and keeps them safe and secure when you aren't there to watch them! I would definitely invest in a crate! With lots of treats and praise, the crate will quickly become his best friend!

Back to top Go down

Post by Skylas-mom Sat May 14 2011, 19:20

He could be like Skye and just be a brat,loving the fact he can destroy everything in sight.
Could you try a baby gate on the kitchen door-frame maybe? And make sure there's nothing in there that he can maul?
Skylas-mom
Skylas-mom
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Skyla
Dog Gender(s) : Female

Back to top Go down

Post by shane dee Sat May 14 2011, 21:37

thats staffys for you Laughing
shane dee
shane dee
Banned
Banned

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : jasper
Dog Gender(s) : male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat May 14 2011, 23:09

Awww what a poor thing with what he's been through i can see why his a lil all over the joint! .. my previous staffy was beaten and he was very much the same .. we crate trained him, put his crate in a nice cosy area of the house where he could have his own space, with lots of toys he could play with etc and he soon settled, he will learn to calm down in time.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun May 15 2011, 15:19

my older staffy Jethro had destroyed and chewed and shredded so many things all his life.... our new puppy is going to learn to be put in a crate..... he sleeps in it now, I don't lock the door on him yet though... but he loves going in it. I think it will give peace of mind...for you and your boy.
Also have you tired rescue remedy drops?? They can help.... and also while I am ranting a Thundershirt... they are good for all sorts of things.. maybe worth a try too.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down