Destructive behaviour when I am out?

3 posters

Go down

Lightning Destructive behaviour when I am out?

Post by guiltylouie Wed Feb 01 2012, 14:41

I have a staff, Louie (aged 11 months) and a staff x english bull, Tigger (aged 4 months), and I was wondering if anyone could help me with the destruction I face when I go out?
Louie is the main culprit ..I think. He has been destructive from the moment we got him; it has actually calmed down a bit with Tigger coming into the picture. I think it is some kind of seperation anxiety - he's a very needy dog, follows you around everywhere and hates to be alone.
I have tried everything. Before I plan to go out, I walk the boys for around two hours. I leave them in the hall (which is quite large) with their crate doors open (we have crate trained them both but I really want to wean them off it. I don't like the idea of them not being able to roam around whilst we are out). I spray anti-chew on all the bits they've had a go at (e.g.. a wall. REALLY!?!), leave bones, toys, (sometimes I even buy new toys!), and their beds out for them.. But they are so destructive! I went out for five minutes (I timed it, literally five minutes..) and when I came back, the wall was chewed and there was a big Louie poo on the floor even though he'd just done four on the walk. I've tried changing the routine of how I get ready so they don't think I'm leaving.. Being calm when I greet them.. Ect Ect.

It's not really a huge problem seeing as I only work weekends, and my fiance only works weekdays.. So usually somebody is always here.. It's just, if we ever want to go out and maybe have a nice meal together, we can't leave the boys out for long in fear of them chewing and weeing and pooing everywhere. They are otherwise toilet trained. I hate leaving them in their crates and want them to eventually be trusted to the whole flat..

Somebody help me? They are both still very young, so will they grow out of it?
Thank you Smile
guiltylouie
guiltylouie
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Louie/Tigger
Dog Gender(s) : Both lads!
Support total : 1

Back to top Go down

Lightning Re: Destructive behaviour when I am out?

Post by janey Wed Feb 01 2012, 14:52

The only thing I would say is keep the crate closed. Its not cruel and maybe in time when they are older you can gradually start to build up time with the door open. But for now, your peace of mind and there safety, I would keep the door closed. Xx
janey
janey
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by guiltylouie Wed Feb 01 2012, 14:56

It's what I do at the moment Sad Do you think it would be a good idea to gradually increase the time I am gone? At the moment I'm trying things like going into other rooms without them and shutting the doors.. And they're pretty good then (despite one wee this morning).
When I go for a shower and leave them to the whole flat they're good as gold - I think it's only when they
know I'm not here. Maybe I'll have to sneak out when they're not looking?! I dont want to s
guiltylouie
guiltylouie

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Wed Feb 01 2012, 14:59

I'm affraid I have never crate trained nor had to deal with destructive behaviour, well my first ate the kitchen, but thats another story.

It could be seperation anxiety, but to me it just seems like there going to be little buggers when they can get away with it!!
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by guiltylouie Wed Feb 01 2012, 15:04

My mum's staffie was never crate trained and was/is perfect! It helped with toilet training but other than that I'm starting to regret it Straight Face
Maybe I just got the two naughtiest from each litter, knowing my luck. Ah! Oh well.. Fingers crossed they'll grow out of it.
Ate your kitchen? I caught Louie trying to finish eating the rest of the wall.. Ambitious.
guiltylouie
guiltylouie

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Wed Feb 01 2012, 15:11

Scrumpy ripped up the entire floor and chewed all the skirting and bottom of the cupboards! We had a baby gate to stop her anywhere else in the house, my oh at the time was rather lazy shall we say and it served him right for not taking her out! His kitchen and all that Laughing
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by guiltylouie Wed Feb 01 2012, 15:14

Haha oh god! Yup.. They sure as hell pay you back for no walkies.. Wink
guiltylouie
guiltylouie

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 01 2012, 17:04

I really feel for you Jess, as Jethro my older staffy has been destructive since day one.... he has caused untold damage and heart ache.. and even at his old age now still can let rip ( like he did again tonight Sad ) I would leave him locked in his crate for your sanity and peace of mind...a few hours at a time wouldn't hurt. Just hope he doesn't learn to break out his crate like Jethro has. I have tried everything over the years.... sadly some dogs that are overly anxious like Jethro will just never change * sigh * Sad

Back to top Go down

Post by guiltylouie Wed Feb 01 2012, 20:42

Ah.. Might be stuck with a anxious dog then! Just came out from a bath and Louie had knocked the bin over and him and Tig were eating some doritos.. Ew! He's a bad influence! Surprised

Lou did actually once escape the crate. It was before he was toilet trained, and he slept in the lounge. We took pictures of the destruction, and took pictures of his really, really guilty face. The worst bit was he found ten of my magazines.. We're still finding little shreds to this day!

Well if there's nothing to be done.. Then I'm glad I have the crate. Will still keep trying, but love him regardless. Thank god I can laugh back on it, because some days I have come home and just weeped!
guiltylouie
guiltylouie

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Skullkandi Wed Feb 01 2012, 22:55

Close the crate and put a big towel over it and leave some classical music or the radio on. trust, it works :3
Skullkandi
Skullkandi
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Destructive behaviour when I am out? Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Support total : 8

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 01 2012, 23:51

All of mine have been destructive as well. Suki is crate trained but we give her the run of the house when we are out. We started off going outside and not making a fuss of us leaving, and just down the road a bit. When she stopped whinning we let her be for about 5 minutes or so and came back in.

There was some damage at first but we kept at it consistantly and gradually incresed the time left alone. She is good for 4-5 hours now provided she is exercised.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down