Diatmoaceous Earth

2 posters

Go down

Diatmoaceous Earth Empty Diatmoaceous Earth

Post by Pud Sat Jan 04 2014, 22:03

Has anybody used diatomcaceous earth with their Staffs? I am a little at my wits end here.... Coco is being treated for mites with Bomectin (oral medication 1mm per day with food) and is also on a strict diet of Hills ZD to determine food or skin allergy (Vets suggestion). She has been on the food diet for about 4 weeks and on the Biomectin since 16th Dec 13. Her belly and skin in general looks so dry and very red. She is quite itchy and has given herself a few welts from scratching Sad . A friend suggested trying the diatomaceous earth, she uses it for herself and her dog and swears by it, does anyone have any experience with it? I have been doing a lot of research and I'm concerned about her immunity levels, from what I gather mites tend to take over when immunity is down. I am in Australia so if anyone has any great food suggestions that could possibly help build her immunity that I can get my hands on here it would be much appreciated. I'm convinced she doesn't have a food allergy so am willing to give up the hills ZD diet to try and improve her skin. Thanks in advance.
Pud
Pud
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : Coco
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Diatmoaceous Earth Empty Re: Diatmoaceous Earth

Post by Sazzle Sat Jan 04 2014, 22:10

I've not used it but heard it can be used for worms, I posted this earlier for someone else, How old is coco?

Daisy had very severe demodex shortly after I rescued her and was on Aludex dips, Ivermectin and anto biotics for the skin infection, not a happy time! She has fully recovered and to help strengthen her immune system and keep the mites away I have used  few different things.

Apple cider vinegar added to food, the acidity can help keep the mites away, this has lots of health benefits and I still use it as do many of our members

Echinachea powder added to food to strengthen the immune system, I have stopped using this now.

Neem - powder added to food a few days each week, this can strengthen the immune system and also the mites don't like it. You can also add the powder to water to make a tea and apply to the skin or buy oil and add to shampoo or make a spray - if you google it you'll find lots of info

Vitamin B complex supplement tablets - I am still giving her one a day.

I have recently changed to raw food which should strengthen her immune system also so when I've finished the vit b tablets I may try without them.

Hope it helps  Smile
Sazzle
Sazzle
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Daisy
Dog(s) Ages : 3 ish
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 2451

Back to top Go down

Post by Pud Sat Jan 04 2014, 22:14

Thanks Sazzle, Coco will be 2 next month. I will definatly be looking into all of those suggestions, I had read about the apple cider vinegar but not about the others. It's so frustrating and I feel so sorry for her Sad
Pud
Pud

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Sazzle Sat Jan 04 2014, 22:16

I know its awful to see them like that, Daisy was bad for months! If she is like this at 2 years old its likely her immune system is struggling  Sad Has she been neatured? 

This was a previous thread on diatomaceous earth just for info

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com/t39159-diatomaceous-earth

Also coconut oil is soothing to for the skin  Smile
Sazzle
Sazzle

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Pud Sat Jan 04 2014, 22:21

Yes she has been desexed and I have the coconut oil which I rub into her skin. She seems so hot all the time it feels like I almost make her sweaty with it. I wondered about her immune system being low, the vet mentioned it might be low because she is trying to fight off possible grass allergy. I wonder if it's more lack of vitamins etc in diet, although she does come up red after lying in grass. Second guessing now though if she was lying in grass because she was itchy from mites and rubbed herself so much on the grass to relieve itchiness from the mites  at wits end at wits end at wits end 
Pud
Pud

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Sazzle Sat Jan 04 2014, 22:27

Well thats good because having a season can be a trigger for dogs prone to Demodex. Poor love  Diatmoaceous Earth 3198918699 You will get her sorted out, honestly if you had seen Daisy, she was almost bald at the worst, and as you can see from my avatar, is a picture of health now  Smile 

Daisy was treated with Ivermectin, maybe speak to your vet about that? She also had the Aludex/Mitiban dips, although they made her very poorly. If her treatment isn't working it may be worth going back to the vets xx
Sazzle
Sazzle

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Pud Sat Jan 04 2014, 22:31

Daisy does look fit and healthy (and gorgeous!). I think the medication is working as Coco is loosing a lot of hair and I think it was you that mentioned she will loose the hair as the mites die, so my assumption is it's working. she has a vet appointment at the end of the month to see how she is going. I will look into the extra diet additives you mentioned to see if that might help build her immunity. Thanks for all your advice and support x
Pud
Pud

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Sazzle Sat Jan 04 2014, 22:34

Ahh thank you  Big Grin 

No problem at all, any questions just ask xx

Just another thought, if she has made her skin sore from scratching she may need anti biotics for the secondary skin infection, keep us posted on her progress won't you xx
Sazzle
Sazzle

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Pud Sat Jan 04 2014, 22:35

will do, thanks again.
Pud
Pud

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 05 2014, 17:37

I use DE yes but i use it to worm my boys, as i don't use chemical wormers, but neither have had demodex so can't comment on how much it would help with it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down