Duke doesn't like toys

3 posters

Go down

Duke doesn't like toys  Empty Duke doesn't like toys

Post by Ernestine Wed May 11 2011, 12:53

I've been laughing myself silly at everyone's trials and tribulations when it comes to getting toys to last with their staffs.

Well, mine just isn't interested! I'd love to take him to the park and throw a ball around or something, when I try he just looks at it as if to say, "Well, off you go then, it's not going to fetch itself you know!" Maybe it's his age, he around 8 years. Any ideas on how to get him interested? he loves to run, so I don't think it's a mobility issue. :-)
Ernestine
Ernestine
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Duke
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Duke doesn't like toys  Empty Re: Duke doesn't like toys

Post by Guest Wed May 11 2011, 13:23

Have you tried throwing treats? Kong full of his favorite snack, let him get really interested init and throw it/roll it across the floor. Vanila is suppsoed to be a scent that dogs love and it gets their nose into action rather just sight and it may a help a bit. encouragment of course is a must the more excited you are the more excited he will be, you could try having his favorite treat/kong filled and teasing him with get him real excited not letting him actually have it play keep away run around with make him chase you and the treats, its a worth a try.
over time replace it with a tennis ball if he like peanut butter put some on the tennis ball or another scent he likes the smell of and roll it across the floor again getting really excited.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 11 2011, 13:29

Ernestine wrote:I've been laughing myself silly at everyone's trials and tribulations when it comes to getting toys to last with their staffs.

Well, mine just isn't interested! I'd love to take him to the park and throw a ball around or something, when I try he just looks at it as if to say, "Well, off you go then, it's not going to fetch itself you know!"

rolling on the floor rolling on the floor rolling on the floor rolling on the floor rolling on the floor
I have an image in my head of your Boy Duke layed down at the park watching you run to fetch the toy.
rolling on the floor rolling on the floor rolling on the floor rolling on the floor rolling on the floor

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Wed May 11 2011, 14:26

Laughing Carylls Dempsy is much the same!! moo loves toys, well loves to destroy them! Have you tried a boomer ball, never worked for me but others love theres. We have a frisbee which she loves, well pretty much anything! A Staff that doesn't like toys Surprised
janey
janey
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 11 2011, 15:23

Yes, Dempsey looks at balls as if to say "You threw it, you get it!"

I've sent off for a Running Egg to see if it'll get his interest up a bit..........we'll see!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 11 2011, 15:29

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=weasel+ball&_sacat=See-All-Categories#sfmsg_-7890@@

I found these to be brilliant when it comes to them being curiouse as to why it is moving on its own, my sisters dog didn't know how to play till i got one of these for him.
it'll move around in their mouth as well and it drives them crazy.
they'll drop it on the floor and it will move/run away from them and it makes them want it more.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 11 2011, 15:32

Oh dear, Claire Laughing my daughter had one of those when Dempsey was about 6 months old - he flew at it, picked it up & 'killed' it!

Back to top Go down

Post by Nosipho Wed May 11 2011, 15:34

I think they either have that chase instinct built in or they just aren't that bothered. Skibadee will play with anything, she even steals our niece and nephews mcdonalds toys and chews them up whilst barking every time they make a noise or move! She literally will play with a little piece of string. Anything she can find, and shes nearly 6years!

Tali on the other hand (2 years) has very little interest in toys, when we are at home its very rare that she will play with something and never unless she is encouraged to. I buy her balls, teddys, kongs etc but she just picks them up and then drops them and looks at you like your mad. The only time she will ever pick up a toy is when Skibadee wants it and even then her interest lasts about 5 seconds. Food on the other hand, well anything edible goes strait in her big gob! My mums dog Phoebe (chihuahua x JRT) also wont play with toys, all my other dogs have. Think some of them just dont really play that way!
Nosipho
Nosipho

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Skibadee, Tali, Kali-Mist, Nugget and Meg
Dog(s) Ages : 25/8/2005 - 01/10/2008 - 01/08/2012 - 23/10/2013992
Dog Gender(s) : All Girlies
Support total : 191

http://www.nosiphostaffords.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 11 2011, 15:41

Caryll wrote:Oh dear, Claire Laughing my daughter had one of those when Dempsey was about 6 months old - he flew at it, picked it up & 'killed' it!

Hahaha lol Taz destroyed the one i had for the ferrets as well I am not saying it will last long but they are cheap and may hit a nerve when it comes to the chase being more interesting. to encourage him to play with toys

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Wed May 11 2011, 15:46

MissRogue wrote:http://shop.ebay.co.uk/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=weasel+ball&_sacat=See-All-Categories#sfmsg_-7890@@

I found these to be brilliant when it comes to them being curiouse as to why it is moving on its own, my sisters dog didn't know how to play till i got one of these for him.
it'll move around in their mouth as well and it drives them crazy.
they'll drop it on the floor and it will move/run away from them and it makes them want it more.

Moo had a plain one of those but destroyed the outside, I still had my hamster ball so I put it inside that, tapped the edges and she loved it! I'm forever retaping it but if it amuses her I'm happy Big Grin
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 11 2011, 17:21

hahaha! bless him! lol .. My old staffy diesel was in a way like that, he wasnt interested in anything unless it was his kong! lol, he got through 5 kongs but loved em! a ball he would just run at pop then run off lol, he did have a boomer but the love of the kong was just too strong! lol

Back to top Go down

Post by Ernestine Wed May 11 2011, 18:38

I'd love to try the Boomer ball, but in SA you can basically take your Pound price and multiply by 10! I'm spending close on 400 bucks on something he may or may not play with!! doh Just came back from a walk with hubs, son and Duke. We ended up standing on the park in a triangle shape quite far apart, and took turns calling him, so he spent a good 15 minutes dashing from one to the other of us Big Grin He had a ball, and was so tuckered out when we got home, he just "collapsed" at his daddy's feet and demanded a tummy tickle. So at least I know he's getting lots of exercise now. I think I'll try the Kong suggestion, and the frisbees too, thanks for the ideas everyone! applause
Ernestine
Ernestine

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Duke
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Wed May 11 2011, 19:05