Puppy pads in crates

3 posters

Go down

Puppy pads in crates Empty Puppy pads in crates

Post by Laws Fri Dec 13 2013, 13:32

So little radar is doing well with no accidents in the house today or yesterday , we crate her when we go out and when I'm at work which was for four hours on her own . The breeder advised to put a puppy pad at one end and a bed at the other , she has peed in the night on the pad a few times and I came home from work to a pee on the pad . Now having read up on this it seems having a puppy pad in the crate isn't the right thing to do ? I'm confused Sad
Laws
Laws
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Engaged
Dogs Name(s) : Ziggy
Dog(s) Ages : 3
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 22

Back to top Go down

Puppy pads in crates Empty Re: Puppy pads in crates

Post by Boycies_mum Fri Dec 13 2013, 17:23

Im not sure on how right I am as im new to this with a 8 week old puppy but so far all crating advice says not to put a pad in as ot encourages pup to use his bed as a toilet ? We put one just in front of the crate incase of accidents when the door is open x

Boycies_mum
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : Boycie
Dog(s) Ages : 9 weeks
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Dec 13 2013, 21:03

I don't use the pads anyway. Dempsey would tear it up and swallow the bits!

I'd be more inclined to use newspaper if you have to put anything down. The pads have absorbant crystals in them which could be disastrous if they were ingested.

How old is she?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Dec 14 2013, 04:03

We used a bit off news paper if a night too, as caryll says the pads have abosorbancy which wouldn't be good if ingested. Smile

(13 weeks mrs c)

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Dec 14 2013, 09:25

_Hayley_ wrote:
(13 weeks mrs c)

Thanks Hayley!

To be honest, I wouldn't even expect her to be clean just yet. At that age I'd get up once during the night and pop her into the garden for a wee, then straight back to bed. Whatever happens while you're out is just one of those things. But at least if there's newspaper down & she decides to shred it as a 'toy' there won't be much harm done!

Back to top Go down

Post by jessie31 Sat Dec 14 2013, 17:16

I would stay clear of putting them in crate vet advised Us to put them in as Harley would go on them so we did - big mistake as when he started to chew them up we removed them and he still weed in exact place as pad would of been, I would jus accept that accidents will happen till have full bladder control. Harley is coming up to 6 months and I would say he is 98 percent toilet trained,  they say dogs won't wet where they sleep but Harley did, good luck x
jessie31
jessie31

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Harley
Dog(s) Ages : 16 weeks
Support total : 6

Back to top Go down

Post by Laws Sat Dec 14 2013, 19:47

Thanks guys at the moment she's not chewing the pads , but I have plenty of newspaper as soon as I start to see her chew or mess with them . So far she's going out to wee each time we take her out and she's only pooped in the living room once since she's come home . There has been a few wees on her dog bed in the living room when I have missed the signs she needs to go . And the last two days we haven't had any mess in the crate , but she's on her own for four hours tomorrow so most likely be an accident then .
Thanks for your advice as I hadn't thought about the pads having crystals , will def change to news paper if she starts to fiddle with them
Laws
Laws

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Ziggy
Dog(s) Ages : 3
Support total : 22

Back to top Go down