will neutering my dog effect his behavior?

+2
richyboy111
janey
6 posters

Go down

will neutering my dog effect his behavior?  Empty will neutering my dog effect his behavior?

Post by richyboy111 Thu Dec 12 2013, 18:12

hi all, i know there is lots of posts about neutering but i cant seem to find what im looking for so thought id do my own post.
i want to get my 4 year old staffy (boy) neutered, ill be completely honest and say that the main reason i want to get him neutered is to see if it will calm him down a little bit, as when i have people round hes a very hyper dog that jumps over people and when i hold him back he will do a crying/windging sound constantly even if i put him in another room, and i mean constantly! i had my dad stay over the one night and my dog just didn't settle.. the vet has told me that because he is now an adult dog it more then likely wont change him from been hyper because he has already learnt. and i want to get him neutered to help prevent other things such as cancer ect.. my question is even if it doesn't help calm him down, will it make him worse? i spoke to someone who had his dog neutered and he said that his dog then turned nasty towards other dogs and he started to pee in the house, and now this has kind of put me off the idea as my dog is friendly with other dogs and is fantastic with not peeing in the house so i wouldnt want this to change.... thanks for your help

richyboy111
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Blake
Dog Gender(s) : boy
Support total : 19

Back to top Go down

will neutering my dog effect his behavior?  Empty Re: will neutering my dog effect his behavior?

Post by Guest Thu Dec 12 2013, 18:17

no neutering probably won't make any difference in his hyperness, yes neutering CAN make unwanted behaviour worse but it goes both ways, it's a risk you take.

I don't neuter for the health benefits of keeping them entire but it's up to you

Back to top Go down

will neutering my dog effect his behavior?  Empty Re: will neutering my dog effect his behavior?

Post by Guest Thu Dec 12 2013, 18:19

I don't think neutering affects their behaviour  biggrin 

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Thu Dec 12 2013, 18:26

I disagree, a friend has a male collie who humped and jumped on everything, he was trained to the level we all could, but only after he was neutered did it make a difference.

Personal choice Xx
janey
janey
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by richyboy111 Thu Dec 12 2013, 18:56

its a hard decision to make Sad maybe i should start havin people come round more often so he gets used to people more as not alot of people come to visit me so i think thats why he gets so exited and unsettled when people do come round

richyboy111

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Thu Dec 12 2013, 18:57

Well yes, you need to train them before you think it might help x
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by richyboy111 Thu Dec 12 2013, 19:07

is it true that what he eats may have something to do with how he behaves? i feed him wagg complete dry food and i mix half of a small tin of winalot wet food in with it because if i just leave the dry food down on its own he dont touch it

richyboy111

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Thu Dec 12 2013, 19:27

Yes diet is very important Xx
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Dec 12 2013, 19:28

Yes! Very true!

Any food that has a high content of grains (wheat, maize, rice etc) and additives will, without doubt, make your dog hyper!

Wagg & Winalot are not good foods. See if you can switch him over to a grain free food, maybe a fish based one like fish4dogs or fishmongers finest (Pets at Home's own brand) and you'll probably see a difference quite quickly.

Neutering at 4 years old will not make him turn nasty as long as he isn't of a nervous disposition already. But what a lot of people do is after neutering they assume that they don't need to watch their dog any more & they let them get out of hand. Training is always important, throughout their lives, whether they're neutered or entire.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Thu Dec 12 2013, 19:55

richyboy111 wrote:is it true that what he eats may have something to do with how he behaves? i feed him wagg complete dry food and i mix half of a small tin of winalot wet food in with it because if i just leave the dry food down on its own he dont touch it

Rocky was neutered by the rescue centre so we didn't have the option to do it or not. Whenever we have visitors to our flat he gets very excited and wants all the attention.

Diet could well be a major contributing factor to behaviour as it is in children with their lovely E numbers. Since we have been feeding Rocky a good quality food (Barking Heads grain fee) he has calmed down a lot and others have noticed the change in him too, it's not just us being biased.

Wagg and Winalot are to be perfectly honest rubbish foods in my opinion. Please pay a little more for a much better quality and feed less.

Last edited by Kathy on Fri Dec 13 2013, 10:06; edited 1 time in total
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by richyboy111 Fri Dec 13 2013, 00:06

what would you guys advise me to do then, change diet and see how he goes? the bounciness stops after a bit and he will sit on his bed, but then thats when he starts to cry/windge. i give him a sharp 'no' but it does not seem to work. its asif hes frustrated or something

richyboy111

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by jo garnett Fri Dec 13 2013, 00:24

Our 2 can't bear to be apart from visitors either. Luckily everyone who visits knows they are going to get a full-on welcome! They calm down after 20 minutes or so. We feed Wainwrights dry, raw mince, liver. Once a week I roast a large chicken which feeds all 6 animals for 2 days. The girls love plain boiled rice mixed in their food.
jo garnett
jo garnett

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Lola and Chloe
Dog(s) Ages : both 3 years
Dog Gender(s) : Both female
Support total : 86

Back to top Go down

Post by Nor Cal Fri Dec 13 2013, 05:59

I can't give any feedback on neutering, but I can tell you my experiences with my hyper dog. I have a very large family and have lots of parties at my house. Bacon always gets excited when a new person enters the house. Mind you, not everybody likes dogs. So, in the beginning I tried to seperate Bacon from those folks and keep him away. BIG MISTAKE!

The best way I have found to deal with it is to tell people as they walk in to stand still and let him say hello. If he is jumping and acting up, I tell them to ignore him completely until he settles down. This has worked very well for us. He usually calms down after the first five minutes and calms down. If I don't go through this routine he will whine, bark, and fight until he is allowed to say hello to the guest.

Staffy's are social dogs, so there is only so much you can do to control it. Instead, I try to embrace it. To be honest, I was worried about having him around big groups of people at first, but it turns out that he is great with guests. He's the host of my parties now. He makes sure to socialize with each and every guest!!!  Laughing 
Nor Cal
Nor Cal
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Bacon
Dog(s) Ages : Born 3/24/12
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 26

Back to top Go down

Post by Nor Cal Fri Dec 13 2013, 06:01

When I say fight, I don't mean it literally! I mean that he tries to make his way over to the guest.
Nor Cal
Nor Cal

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Bacon
Dog(s) Ages : Born 3/24/12
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 26

Back to top Go down

Post by rescuestaffords Fri Dec 13 2013, 09:43

Why not try the chemical castrate first to see if it gives you the desired result...

rescuestaffords
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
will neutering my dog effect his behavior?  Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Support total : 47

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down