Going off his food ?

2 posters

Go down

Going off his food ? Empty Going off his food ?

Post by Double_G Sat May 07 2011, 17:58

Dave is going off his food (royal canin) i split his meals into 2 half in the morning and half about 7 oclock,but some times he still has food left off his last feed,iv tried taking his food off him until its time for his next feed so its not lying there all day for him to pick at,but it doesnt work so im thinking of changing his food any sugestions on a better method of feeding or another food would be much appreciated.
Double_G
Double_G
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Dave
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Going off his food ? Empty Re: Going off his food ?

Post by Aniemother Sat May 07 2011, 18:09

Have you tried soaking it? Perhaps he'll like it better if you do that (or every other meal or so for variety). A healty dog won't starve to death, but I'd be concerned about starving a puppy to make him eat (which you could do with an adult). I do believe most dogs will learn to eat what they are fed, but some dogs are picky and don't very much like kibble or only a few sorts of kibble.

You might find he's signaling that he only wants one meal a day (a bit young for that, though, if he's 4 months!?). Perhaps you could try just a little snack in the morning and a meal in the afternoon for a few days to see how he thinks of that? My pug does best on one meal a day, and I sometimes makes him go without food for a day or so, especially if he has gotten a lot of "extras" lately. Otherwise he'll loose interest in his food and eat much less than he should.
Aniemother
Aniemother
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Gaffa (SBT), Strips (BC) and Terex (AK)
Support total : 22

http://wrigglebutts.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Double_G Sat May 07 2011, 18:35

He's 8 months i havnt stopped him from eating as long as a day i just give him 1-2 hours then take away his bowl untill he is due his next feed,i dont tend to give him many treats unless im training him when i just give him very small treats which i bought specifically for training.He never had a problem eating when i first put him on royal canin i think he hs just went off it.
Double_G
Double_G

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat May 07 2011, 18:38

billy was like that, he would not eat his food unless it had mashed pot on, so we changed him to raw and now he never leaves a meal, the only thing he does not like is liver

Back to top Go down

Post by Double_G Sat May 07 2011, 18:48

I give dave sardinesmixed with his food once a week to help with his coat and he blitzes it but obviously i carnt do that every feed lol,i was thinking about raw food before i put him on RC but with him being 3-4 months old i decided not to,im still not sure how the diet work (portion size,what meat etc) i think ill try and look into it.
Double_G
Double_G

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down