Typical - things always break coming up to Christmas

2 posters

Go down

Typical - things always break coming up to Christmas Empty Typical - things always break coming up to Christmas

Post by Guest Sat Nov 30 2013, 12:22

Technically, it's not broken, but one of my laptop's cooling fans is blocked up with dust. It's too blocked to be able to blow it out properly with compressed air, which is annoying. Can't access it through the back panel either. I'd have to remove the back panel, take out all of the chips and gidgets inside, unclip the keyboard, remove the DVD drive, take off the motherboard and then do it from there. Definitely not going to chance something going wrong with it, so that means it'll have to go down to the shop.

The good thing is that the shop is family-run and extremely good! Very reasonable prices. He was the one who told me about the danger of buying chargers from eBay - showed me and mum a burned, charred, twisted mess of a laptop that had been caused by buying a charger from eBay.

The bad thing is that, coming up to Christmas, money is tight, so I've emailed him to ask what the approximate charge is for a fan cleaning. Fingers crossed it won't be too much! praying praying praying 

Back to top Go down

Typical - things always break coming up to Christmas Empty Re: Typical - things always break coming up to Christmas

Post by Guest Sat Nov 30 2013, 12:24

Hope it wont be too expensive, yes everything seems to go wrong before xmas!! Big Grin 

Back to top Go down

Typical - things always break coming up to Christmas Empty Re: Typical - things always break coming up to Christmas

Post by Guest Sat Nov 30 2013, 12:28

Typical isn't it huni Surprised I'd try hoovering it first Laughing but then again I know nothing about cleaning laptops only the house Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Nov 30 2013, 12:33

Ah well, at least it's something I know can be easily sorted! Tongues

I looked up hoovering. Apparently it's a big no-no, as little lightning rods of static charge will actually surround the nozzle, invisible to us, and that can cause damage. Sad Besides which, I'd have to be able to access the fan properly to do it Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Nov 30 2013, 12:51

See El that's were your smarter than me, I'd of just hoovered it and worried about the consequences later I dont want to s 

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Nov 30 2013, 12:53

Laughing I hadn't considered it until yesterday, when I was browsing through forums to look for a solution. Somebody on there recommended hoovering, and then somebody else slapped them on the wrist and said not to. Tongues

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Nov 30 2013, 14:13

Update: emailed the shop, waiting for a reply. The fan keeps stopping, so I might not be here for a while.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Nov 30 2013, 16:16

That's a bit of a pain, I would be lost without my laptop biggrin 

Back to top Go down

Post by Sazzle Sat Nov 30 2013, 21:14

Rubbish Sad Hope it doesn't cost you too much to get sorted xx
Sazzle
Sazzle
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Daisy
Dog(s) Ages : 3 ish
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 2451

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Dec 05 2013, 13:27

Turns out that there were strands of my hair wrapped around the fan. As the IT man put it, "it was like a cat's fur ball". Laughing It's supposedly fixed, though my fan is still starting up and abruptly cutting off. That may just be normal, so I'm going to leave it and see.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Dec 05 2013, 14:17

Sounds like my Hoover with all Molly's hair I have to cut it of the brushes once a month Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Thu Dec 05 2013, 14:41

Did the repair guy say the fan may cut out, are you able to give him a quick call and ask ?
Kathy
Kathy
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Sazzle Thu Dec 05 2013, 22:25

_Hayley_ wrote:Sounds like my Hoover with all Molly's hair I have to cut it of the brushes once a month Laughing
Same here with my hair!
Sazzle
Sazzle

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Daisy
Dog(s) Ages : 3 ish
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 2451

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Dec 07 2013, 16:54

Laptop packed UP a little WHILE afTER I PoStED HERE, so I’M USING MUM’s computer (As YOU MighT BE aBLE TO TELL BECAuSe OF THE BUSTED sHIFT KEY).

Probably woN't be fixed until next THursday at the earliEst.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Dec 07 2013, 16:58

Aww rubbish Sad yes I can tell your using your mums computer Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Dec 07 2013, 17:46

LoVelY isN't it? Tongues HELPING TO puT UP tHE CHRiStmas decOratIoNS atM

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Dec 07 2013, 17:57

Oooh lovely, pics later please xx

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Dec 07 2013, 18:13

I'll leave that up to mum Tongues

Keyboard seems to have fixed itself again!

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Sat Dec 07 2013, 21:03

Why not just replace the keyboard with a cheapy one for now ??? Smile 
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Dec 08 2013, 02:07

Because this is a cheapy one Tongues Laughing No point getting another cheapy one if it's going to misbehave like this!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down