Just one of those days!

5 posters

Go down

Just one of those days!  Empty Just one of those days!

Post by Rachel33 Wed Nov 27 2013, 18:06

Finish a horrendous day at work and just wanna get home and get out with Biscuit for a couple of hours.. and it's probably a combination of her picking up on my mood, the upheaval/change of routine with the house move and Martyn working away a lot but she's just been awful Sad Sad

I totally know it's not her fault, and I love that dog to death but she is challenging to say the least. After constant work with watch me commands and impulse control she's been doing really well, but she's just so so so sensitive and the slightest change will send her back to square one. She's spent the entire walk lunging and barking at anything that moves, scared the pants off an old man bless him! Apologised over and over but it's just so frustrating that she's a staffy and so automatically we get looked down on..

I just wonder whether to accept her personality for what it is and manage it or continue to perservere with the hours of training for it to go completely backwards every couple of months. We moved to Exeter as we thought it would be quieter than Bristol, but it's not so we're moving one last time to cater to her needs and live in a fairly rural area so that she doesn't have to contend with too much, I just feel like pulling my hair out sometimes! If it was one or the other I'm sure it would be easier to manage.. but people AND dogs is just ridiculous Laughing She's a bloody fruitcake! Rant over Sad
Rachel33
Rachel33
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Bug (Biscuit)
Dog(s) Ages : 7 ish
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 1012

Back to top Go down

Just one of those days!  Empty Re: Just one of those days!

Post by yeahbut Wed Nov 27 2013, 19:04

The paradox of the staffie is that if you can let them go free off-lead and zoom about like their pants are on fire, it can work wonders for calming them down. However, the possibility of appalling behaviour (ie aggression) means that you cant always afford to let them go. If only it were possible to do a deal: ‘you promise not to rip the throat out of that poodle over there, and I promise you can have the freedom to sniff every tree, lamppost and dog-end (of both kinds) between here and Glasgow. Plus I’ll give you a rump steak when we get home’. But it doesn’t work like that – I know of no effective way of making that kind of deal. If anyone does, please post the magic formula!

But still, if she’s been cooped up all day, is there anywhere where she can zoom about without hurting herself or others? That may help decrease the lunge factor when she’s on lead. What happens when you’re at work? Is what you’re seeing the result of some separation anxiety? If so, could anything be done to check up on her a bit more frequently throughout the day?

Surely, everyone on this forum will agree that it’s not (never is) the dog’s fault. I do wonder though whether the idea of training her not to be impulsive is actually achievable. It’s important not to set ourselves (or our dogs) up to fail. With my own (rescue) dog, I would love him to chill out when he sees that pug/labrador/weimaraner/tibetan terrier or whatever, and to realise that they (and nothing else in his happy little life) are any threat to him whatsoever. However, I do suspect that it’s in his ‘nature’ to be pugnacious and so, personally, I take steps to know him and to manage him for what he is. If I ever succeed in training him out of it, it would be a wonderful bonus, but I don’t count on it.

yeahbut
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Just one of those days!  Top_ra10

Status Status :

Support total : 125

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 27 2013, 19:05

Aww Rach things do get us down some days, I am sure in time your patience and hard work will pay off. As you say its probably the move and just generally her getting used to it. Keep at it hun xxx

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel33 Wed Nov 27 2013, 19:27

Ah thanks for your replies lovelies! Lovely to have the support Smile xxx

She does generally get an off lead run every day for at least an hour on working days, and we go for 3-4 hour woodland/moors hikes on my days off where she can run until her legs fall off but my OH is working away and usually does the daylight walk before I get home, the torch got packed and is an hours drive away Laughing so could only do an on lead tonight as it's so dark in the fields! Haha negotiation would just be lovely, especially on days like today when you just want an easy walk! Totally agree, she's extremely fearful but also extremely opinionated which isn't a fun combination.. when she's confident she's scrappy.. when she's scared she's scrappy! I'd just love for her to feel more comfortable in life.

She's been left for a working day 3 days a week since I took her in 2 years ago, with the radio, the run of downstairs and chews and kongs, I used to go home for 45 mins half way through the day but I only get one half an hour break now and live a 45 min walk away from work so impossible to get home and break up the day, with her stranger issues she is happier and safer being left than people coming into the house or getting a dog walker. I know it's not ideal but it was my house or dead and I had 24 hours to decide, so have made it the best I can and i'm now changing jobs and hours to ensure that she doesn't have to be left for as long! Luckily she just sleeps and eats when i'm away from home, but I hate having to leave her so much.
Rachel33
Rachel33

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 27 2013, 19:49

Sounds like you both had a bit of a day? It can get on top of you sometimes, I have bother with Lola. I reckon Biscuit has a good life with you as you seem very caring towards her. Sleep on it and you will feel better biggrin 

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 27 2013, 20:15

Hope you feel better soon rach and tomorrow is a better day for you both Just one of those days!  3198918699

Back to top Go down

Post by yeahbut Wed Nov 27 2013, 20:20

Right y'are, my luvver. You're doing all good things. Your house or dead - there's no contest when you put it that way. But I bet Biscuit rewards you in countless ways to help make up for her moments of badness. In fact, I bet you dont once regret that you decided to 'take the Biscuit'. Dont give up!

yeahbut
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Just one of those days!  Top_ra10

Status Status :

Support total : 125

Back to top Go down

Post by Sazzle Wed Nov 27 2013, 20:40

Sorry you've had a rough day hun Just one of those days!  3198918699 xx
Sazzle
Sazzle
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Daisy
Dog(s) Ages : 3 ish
Support total : 2451

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel33 Wed Nov 27 2013, 21:20

Thank you so much you lot, you're all so lovely! She's just had a kong stuffed with left overs from our roast to make up for the cr*ppy walk, and then we're going to go and snuggle under the duvet Smile xxx

Chiara wrote:Sounds like you both had a bit of a day? It can get on top of you sometimes, I have bother with Lola. I reckon Biscuit has a good life with you as you seem very caring towards her. Sleep on it and you will feel better biggrin 
Ah is Lola not great with dogs? Or people? x
Rachel33
Rachel33

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sazzle Wed Nov 27 2013, 21:22

A good snuggle always makes things seem better Big Grin 
Sazzle
Sazzle

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Daisy
Dog(s) Ages : 3 ish
Support total : 2451

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel33 Wed Nov 27 2013, 21:22

yeahbut wrote:Right y'are, my luvver. You're doing all good things. Your house or dead - there's no contest when you put it that way. But I bet Biscuit rewards you in countless ways to help make up for her moments of badness. In fact, I bet you dont once regret that you decided to 'take the Biscuit'. Dont give up!
Laughing This made me smile, thank you Smile I most certainly could never regret taking her on, she's taught me so much, just would be nice for her to enjoy our walks without being a stresshead!
Rachel33
Rachel33

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by cesca1 Wed Nov 27 2013, 21:33

Sounds like a tough day! Hate it when nothing seems to go right. Enjoy your snuggles and tomorrow is another day xx
cesca1
cesca1
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Engaged
Dogs Name(s) : Molly
Dog(s) Ages : 20.04.12
Support total : 65

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 27 2013, 21:49

Rachel33 wrote:Thank you so much you lot, you're all so lovely! She's just had a kong stuffed with left overs from our roast to make up for the cr*ppy walk, and then we're going to go and snuggle under the duvet Smile xxx

Chiara wrote:Sounds like you both had a bit of a day? It can get on top of you sometimes, I have bother with Lola. I reckon Biscuit has a good life with you as you seem very caring towards her. Sleep on it and you will feel better biggrin 
Ah is Lola not great with dogs? Or people? x

Dogs, she loves people Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 27 2013, 21:52

Ahhh Rachel! I can't even imagine how hard it would be for you at the moment after the hours of training and patience you've put into her for it all to go backwards! I don't think any of us can really relate to exactly how you're feeling but we're all here for you to have a good old rant at! Laughing I think the dedication you have to work with Biscuits problems are incredible though, moving and changing jobs to suit her needs, I think regardless of what anyone says you're a brilliant owner so I'd try not to let it all build up on you!

The fact you're working towards her feeling safer and happier where she lives must count for something and I'm sure that the dogs have a way of knowing we do everything to make sure their needs are fulfilled to the upmost! Maybe she can sense that something's going to change so she's a bit unruly? Or the changes that have happened have unsettled her a little? Being a rescue it might be reminding her of something shes been through in her past, I guess you'll never know for sure but I'm sure after time when she's used to seeing the same paths, smelling the same air, walking the same ways and having plenty of positive experiences in the new place she's living she'll relax a lot more, and may even go back to her impeccably behaved self! I know for a fact Charlie is a pain in the bum when he's anywhere new, even if it's a new centimeter of the field he's never been on he'll turn into a hell hound which makes me incredibly angry and embarrassed as I know he can be a little super star! He's very much like Biscuit by what I've read, but he's TOO over friendly to dogs and people and he'll get all bothered because he's restricted so he'll lunge and bark and whinge at people and dogs! I tell people he's okay, some walk away or cross the road and some people stroke him which he then proceeds to head butting them and play biting! He's not so bad when he sees dogs these days, although he relapses quite often admittedly, he's a lot better behaved now but he still head butts and barks ect.

I don't think there's ever a stage where your dog is perfectly trained if I'm honest, I think ebony is perfect - she walks off lead on the streets most of the time but even she has her off days and she's a nightmare and I swear to never let her off lead again! Laughing I honestly wouldn't worry about Biscuit, just give her a bit of time to settle and keep doing the fantastic job you're already doing with her and she'll be back to her old self in no time! In the mean time we're all here for you to write angry posts too! Big Grin good luck, and behave Biscuit!! Tongues x

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel33 Thu Nov 28 2013, 07:42

Aw Cody! That's such a lovely post!! Thank you so much.. I guess what we've all got to remember is that it's okay to get mad and embarrassed and stressed sometimes. I always expect myself to have the patience of a saint with her but they're very testing and sometimes it really gets to you.

Charlie sounds so lovely but a bit of a handful too.. To say the least lol!! A lot of people wouldn't have persevered with him as you have though and you've taken the time to understand him which is so awesome! I hope you don't mind me asking, but have you found he's more stressy when you're having your treatment? When I got out of hospital a few weeks ago she was all over the place, and indoors she was a gem but out she's even more silly cause she knows I'm not 100% and again the routine changed because I was off work.

Today is a new day, lost a few dogs in work the last few weeks and just been a bit angry, but it's my last day in shelter today and then I get can move on to a less harrowing job, for a little while at least, I know I'll go back to it at some point.. Let's hope today's a better day Smile xxx
Rachel33
Rachel33

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Debs01 Thu Nov 28 2013, 09:47

I hope today is a better day for you! Big Grin I just wanted to say after what I read above I am so glad there are people out there like you who are trying to do something right when a lot of people are just letting dogs down. I admire all of you really that have taken on a rescue dog knowing its going to be a long hard road ahead but doing it anyway! I think the time and effort you are putting in with Biscuit is amazing Smile Maybe when you move and things settle down again she'll settle into a routine for good but either way I'm sure she knows how lucky she is and I'm sure she brings you plenty of smiles and happy days Big Grin

Debs01
Debs01
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Moderator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Moderator

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Axl
Dog(s) Ages : 3
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 189

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel33 Thu Nov 28 2013, 18:09

Thank you debs Just one of those days!  3198918699 Someone's gotta do it Laughing She reminds me every single day why I took her in.. the good far outweighs the bad! She's a superstar really star The bad days just really kick you while you're down sometimes!
Rachel33
Rachel33

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Nov 28 2013, 22:24

He's defintely a handful to say the least Rachel, but I've noticed he really learns and copies Ebony, she's really taken him under her wing and he wouldn't be the dog he is today without her that's for sure! It's as much my training and hard work as hers really, she's been a little star! Love Struck

And no worries at all for asking, I don't mind! But yes he's been absolutely terrible! He was really well behaved the night I was kept in hospital which really surprised me since he was good when people came round too but he's been all over the place the past few days, nothing else has changed besides walks but he's still had hours of play in the garden and with his ball but he's been really unsettled - he walks around whining a lot of the time, and he's picked up his bad habit of eating anything he can get his mouth around too! He's also been collecting dirty socks which he hasn't done in a while and he's off his food a bit! Ebony is just super snuggly and won't leave me alone (no different to usual really!) but she's not too bothered really but it's set Charlie back quite a bit! I'm thinking about hiring a walker for them but I'm not sure if they'll be able to cope ect as my mom can't hold Ebony let alone Charlie so I'm kinda stuck for what to do - especially with his behaviour!

You don't need to thank me either silly, I can't express the amount of respect I have for people who work with their dogs who have problems! Nothing I could say could explain how muh I value people like that, people like you, and Ella who've work so hard to get their dog where they're supposed to be (happy, healthy and care-free) and un-doing all the wrongs they've been taught with their previous owners! I work in a kennels, half boarding and half rescue so I see a lot of crapp things and it makes me so happy knowing there's good people out there like you guys, and everyone is entitled to have their bad days and even more so entitled to support when things go a bit downhill! Sometimes all people need is people saying it'll get better and a few positive comments and well, that's what we're all here for Big Grin I hope today was better for you both Smile

If you don't mind me asking, what rescue do you work for? Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel33 Fri Nov 29 2013, 07:19

We ensure that our under socialized dogs to to homes with confident happy dogs to follow as it does help so much! Wish I could afford another one.. Max is still looking so maybe if he's still there when I'm settled her May come and live with us Smile

ah bless him, they're such sensitive little souls, I always say Biscuit is the canine Equivalent of OCD! Any change at all and she freaks.. Maybe Charlie's the same! Lol dirty socks?! What does he do with them?! The walking is a hard one because you don't want to risk getting them into trouble by letting them go out with somebody else, but know they need that outlet. How long is it likely you won't be walking for? When Biscuit had cancer she was on cage rest for 6 weeks at one point after a lump removal and biopsy.. Lots of interactive feeding, hide and seek, find the treat, general obedience.. ANYTHING to tire her little brain out. She exploded when she started walking again though, really struggled with her.

Ah but I'd say the same about you taking on Charlie.. It's all the same lady! But thank you Smile it's very nice to hear. Do you prefer the boarding or rescue side? I did boarding kennels before and they were so frustrating lol!! So many badly trained dogs that I wasn't allowed to work with lol!! I don't know if I'm allowed to say exactly where I work, but I do 3 years at an inner city stray dogs home, we also took in ex fighting dogs and cruelty cases. I l

Rachel33
Rachel33

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel33 Fri Nov 29 2013, 07:24

Sorry, sent to early, on my phone! I LOVED it there, but it was very badly run and a dangerous place to work because of lack of safety and training for the staff. I saw a very close friend of mine get mauled by a dog, I Obviously did all I could and managed to get him back in the kennel eventually without getting bitten myself but it wasn't a great situation, and various other awful things in my time there, I couldn't do anything to change it so after fighting for 3 years for higher welfare for the dogs and staff/volunteers alike I left. Since I've worked for a smaller animal shelter, which was a nice change and good experience but I can't afford to live on their wages! I'm interviewing as a veterinary assistant next week! So fingers crossed!
Rachel33
Rachel33

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Nov 29 2013, 16:26

That sounds like a brilliant idea, most rescues don't really think of things like that which is a shame as it does really help! Not many people are willing to have 2 dogs though that's for sure! Ohh is Max the Labrador cross Staff you were talking about on the other post? Smile is it the price of adopting the dog, or just the out going cost of food ect you can't really cope with? Surely if they know you they could let you off a bit and pay installments? I know that where I work, if someone's unsure about whether they want the dog they take to fostering them before having them as they don't legally let people have "home trials" as there's not really any paper work behind it as such so if they want a dog but they're unsure they go though a time period of fostering and in the time they foster, whether they're permanent fosters or short term before they go ahead with the adoption the rescue does give you money to buy food ect for the dog? I'm sure I've heard other rescues who pay for the fostering of their dogs too, maybe that's a route to go down? As there's no set time limit you can foster him for, maybe you could see how things go for a good amount of months WITH the financial help, then if you're ready finically and the times right you'll be able to afford him? Our rescue also does installments of payments so you can pay £20 a month (or however much you can afford) until the price of the dog is paid off! Is that worth looking at for you guys?

Laughing bless her! They do sound very similar that's for sure! Is she human and dog aggressive? Or just incredibly hyper and acts up when she can't greet people? And exactly! I don't trust anyone with my dogs beside me not even Eb and she's a good girl Blushing I think it's right what you said though, it's if anything did happen I could never forgive myself! I'm just too wimpy to risk it Laughing I'm sure they've dealt with plenty of bad behaviors before but they seem happy and tired out with the play time they get in the house! And I'm not supposed to walk for 5-8 days, and that's nearly over but I have crutches so it's a bit awkward really! I can walk it just hurts a bit and takes me like 100 hours to get any where Laughing I'm thinking about taking them out for a slow hobble round the block, or up to the fields to let them off a bit and see if that helps matters! But it just depends how long it takes me to heal really! People from work have offered to come and walk them for me which I'd be more comfortable with since everyone at work knows them since I got them from there and I take them back to work with me when I go in so that's a good option! Smile

And oh god, what doesn't he do with them Laughing he mothers them, carries them around in his mouth, he lays on his back and drapes them over himself, he builds piles of them, plays with then, takes them into his bed, licks them - EVERYTHING! He was like it when we first had him but he'd try and get them off your feet ect, after a few weeks of having him, a month maybe? He completely stopped his sock obsession but if anything changes, then he does go back to carrying them round and stuff!

That does sound like a bloody brilliant place to work though ah Love Struck I couldn't imagine doing that job, it's like a dream! Eventually I'd love to just work solely with rescues, preferably bull breeds Smile it's a shame that they're so unorganized there though cause it sounds like a really beneficial rescue to have set up for the bull breeds/dogs who're included in the fighting side to things. Is that the place you got Biscuit from? I did all my college work for the 2 years on dog fighting ect so things like that really interest me! Well done you for trying to change things though, and get them back in order - some places are just too stuck in their ways I guess! It took a lot for us to get the rescue we work with to really get their heads down and think about the dogs instead of just trying to get them out the kennels as so many of them were coming back! It took a while, but the people who ran it changed hands and were open to our ideas and then just used us (the kennels) completely to home and train their dogs because they did have them dotted all over!

Anddddd I'm sure from that you can guess I love working with the rescue side to things Big Grin I found the same thing as you, that the boarding dogs were so naughty and untrained it was unreal! I don't understand how some people have like 4 dogs who're super naughty especially walking them! But as it's boarding kennels, we have 2 main staff that deal with customers, and they spend most of their time up the top dealing with problems up there, especially when it's busy! So people with my job, we all spend our time down in the kennels (we're the biggest kennels in our area too!) with the dogs and it's our jobs to walk, train and asses the rescues ect Smile probably the same way it was ran where you worked!

But I wish you all the best for your job interview! I'm sure you'll get the job, especially with all the experience you have working with animals - especially how dangerous the job was! Good luck!!

(Sorry for the massive amounts of rambling I can do also Laughing Blushing )

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Nov 29 2013, 16:35

aww hun you know your doing great with Biccy, just some dogs will never be perfect but that's why we love them Big Grin big hugs to you Just one of those days!  3198918699

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel33 Fri Nov 29 2013, 20:33

To be fair I really cannot fault the centre that i'm at now, they're very flexible with rehoming, for the right homes, but also very strict about where the dogs go and therefore the dogs don't often get returned! Yeah that's the one, little bit concerned cause i've seen him and though he's definitely staff/lab he could be classed as type and they're putting dogs to sleep left, right and centre here at the moment. Luckily Biscuit's been tested by the police and passed..but he ticks many of the boxes. It's more just affording food/insurance/new beds/bowls/collars/leads etc! Max is with the behaviourist that I used to assist so wouldn't have to pay an adoption fee for him luckily! It's helpful that your kennels have got a scheme like that though!

She came in as a cruelty case with cigarette burns on her legs and had just had pups.. it took 6 weeks for her to let me into her kennel without flying at me!! She was supposed to be what they called a "7 dayer" but nobody could get into her kennel to put her to sleep Laughing We made a bond and I took her home as a foster to do a home assessment as I was sure most of her aggression was hormonal from the recent pups and silly amount of litters that they had churned out of her.. turned out her aggression was mostly directed towards men, and she's terrified of other dogs but has also had bad experiences with them in kennels so is now very defensive but does welcome them into the home and can live with another dog. She then got diagnosed with a grade 6 malignant melanoma, and I was told after 6 months of living with her that she was going to be pts as she only had 6 months to live, so I let my heart take over my head and adopted her.. 2 years later here we are!

Ah I don't think it's wimpy at all hun, sensible if anything! But if you trust the kennel girls and they have handling experience that might be an option, you don't wanna set yourself back! Just be careful I suppose, and don't over do it!! Haha don't think being dragged down the road when you're on crutches would be much fun! I did that with Biscuit a few days after my op, but she saw a squirrel and dragged me.. tore my stitches lol!

Ahh that had me in bits Laughing Laughing he sounds like such a character!! Wonder why it's socks!! Little safety blanket I suppose Smile Sounds quite sweet lol!

Bull breeds are my passion, and if you get a good centre you'll love it! But it's heartbreaking.. nobody wants them, they're so hard to home especially when they've got any problems, the media have scared the crap out of people! I was having to put 9/10 to sleep per day at one point, just had no space, we had 110 kennels full and they were living in toilets, offices, store cupboards! Some had been there for 2 years + and it was just impossible to rehome them safely. Yeah that's where Bis came from! What did you study at college? That's awesome that you got new management, so lucky!! Haha I know, people are so odd! I always found chocolate labs were the worst!! And weimaraners!! Dear god!! Ah how many dogs do you hold in your kennels? Haha don't worry silly!!

Rachel33
Rachel33

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel33 Fri Nov 29 2013, 20:35

Ah Ella thanks sweet Just one of those days!  3198918699 I do love her being the little screwball that she is.. we wouldn't get on so well if she was normal Laughing It's just the explosive walks Laughing Think she nearly gave that old man a heart attack nail biting bless him!
Rachel33
Rachel33

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down