locking in a room??

+2
Sazzle
sonics family
6 posters

Go down

locking in a room?? Empty locking in a room??

Post by sonics family Sun Nov 24 2013, 17:59

Hello, we have been having a bit of an issue with sonic over the last few weeks where she is intermittently being destructive while we are out. today for example she pulled clothes off the radiator and shredded them, chewed a remote control that was on the coffee table and munched on all four scatter cushions. we Have taken to filming her when we go out to see if she has anxiety, but she seems fine, doesn't look at all unsettled, tail wagging, tends to empty her Kong, have a snooze and then destroy what she can find, once she has done this she tends to go back to sleep. we tried going back to leaving her for ten minutes and building it up from there. she is rarely left for more than 2 1/2 hours. often she is good and has destroyed nothing and i think its just a phase, but its getting expensive now. oh and i always walk her for at least 40 mins before we go out. so i was wondering if it would be wrong to lock her in the kitchen when we are out? Its a decent size (25 ft x 14 ft) so she can walk around and already has her food and water in there so could easily add a bed and toys.....i don't want to go back to the crate but am getting fed up of the destruction and worry that she may hurt herself.....really hoping its just a phase!

Last edited by sonics family on Sun Nov 24 2013, 18:00; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling)
sonics family
sonics family
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : sonic
Dog(s) Ages : 26.06.2012
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 24

Back to top Go down

locking in a room?? Empty Re: locking in a room??

Post by Sazzle Sun Nov 24 2013, 18:13

I don't see any problem with that Smile 
Sazzle
Sazzle
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Daisy
Dog(s) Ages : 3 ish
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 2451

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 24 2013, 18:32

Tommy is going back behind a safety gate to keep him in the kitchen ( he was free t be with Tilly ) as he has started to do the same ( again as for you only 2.5 hrs tops on the days when I am not at home ) , mostly our fault for leaving certain doors open and stuiff available to him to destroy when the boredom sets in but at the end of the day he could do some damage. Just feel a bit tight as Tilly has the run of the house because she is so good , though she very rarely leaves my chair.
Damage limitation is the best way as if she destroys something very valuable then you get angry etc etc so best keep her out of mischief and she will be happy and so will you

Back to top Go down

Post by sonics family Sun Nov 24 2013, 18:49

Thanks both...think she will be refined to the kitchen; safer for her and if she does eat the cabinet doors it will be an excuse to get a new kitchen lol! Seriously though, thanks for confirming i am not being mean confining her.......and at least she won't be eat the Chris
able to eat the Christmas tree when we get it next week
sonics family
sonics family

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : sonic
Dog(s) Ages : 26.06.2012
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 24

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Sun Nov 24 2013, 18:53

Are you able to extend the walking time a bit before she is left to an hour so she is very tired when left ?
Kathy
Kathy
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 24 2013, 18:57

sonics family wrote:Thanks both...think she will be refined to the kitchen; safer for her and if she does eat the cabinet doors it will be an excuse to get a new kitchen lol! Seriously though, thanks for confirming i am not being mean confining her.......and at least she won't be eat the Chris
able to eat the Christmas tree when we get it next week
Tommy was always confined to the kitchen before and the worst thing he did was find a loose thread on the kitchen carpet and put a big ladder in it , just a kiddy safety gate separating the pair of them. We just gave him some trust to be with Tilly but he started findig things that weren't Tommy proof and started killing them , most annoying thing was he was fine for about the last 3 months

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 24 2013, 19:06

I've never had this problem with either of mine but it should be fine to keep her locked up in the kitchen, maybe get her a few different things to keep her occupied? Some more kongs, chew toys, even intelligence games filled with her favorite treats? Putting her bed in there may be a good idea too as she'll have so where comfy to sleep which means she may be more inclined to sleep instead of walking around if she has her comfy bed! Just make sure that everything out of her way e.g no T-Towels hanging, no rubbish bags she could rip, make sure all cutlery is pushed far back out of her reach. Keep trying and good luck Big Grin hopefully she'll grow out of it!

Back to top Go down

Post by debs0109 Sun Nov 24 2013, 22:35

Mia is fine in the house if we have to leave her but if we are out in the car and I have to do some shopping she always Chews at something, usually the gear stick Sad 
debs0109
debs0109
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
locking in a room?? Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : MIA
Dog(s) Ages : 1 year 7 months
Dog Gender(s) : FEMALE
Support total : 52

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria90 Mon Nov 25 2013, 09:01

That should be fine! If I am going out for longer than an hour though I generally give Rocky and extra long walk before leaving, as Kathy said, too get him extra tired!
Maria90
Maria90

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 10 months (09.01.2013)
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 453

Back to top Go down

Post by Sara n Ozzy Mon Nov 25 2013, 13:57

Hi, Ozzy goes into our kitchen when we are out, we do have a large kitchen and he seems perfectly happy. his food and bed and toys are in there, he has a large patio door to see whats going on but so far, fingers crossed, he has been as good as gold
Sara n Ozzy
Sara n Ozzy

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Ozzy
Dog(s) Ages : 6
Dog Gender(s) : Boy
Support total : 956

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down