Baby on the way and 4month old staffy cross

3 posters

Go down

Baby on the way and 4month old staffy cross Empty Baby on the way and 4month old staffy cross

Post by chelsea.hoath Mon Nov 11 2013, 19:55

we have a 4month old staffy pup which can be a handful at times and loves to jump on everyone no matter how many times we tell him not too, with little children he is very good, can play a little rough with my 7 year old brother but i correct him straight away and he plays nicely. with a baby due in march i am very worried about whats going to happen and how the puppy will be so i need any advise i can get please and any training advice. he knows 'sit, lay down,leave it, bed, jump, down, paw and other paw, crawl and his recall is very good but can be a bit bumpy at times' is there anything i should do to prepare him for the new arrival? any advice would be great please

Last edited by Kathy on Mon Nov 11 2013, 20:00; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Moved to Staffy Training & Behaviour)
chelsea.hoath
chelsea.hoath
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Marley
Dog(s) Ages : 4 Months
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Baby on the way and 4month old staffy cross Empty Re: Baby on the way and 4month old staffy cross

Post by Kathy Mon Nov 11 2013, 20:07

Hi

Please have a read of the link below which you should find helpful, I'm sure others will be along shortly to offer personal advice with this issue:

http://staffy-bull-terrier.com/staffie_pups_and_young_children

Please come and say Hi when you have time:

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com/f7-new-member-introductions
Kathy
Kathy
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Baby on the way and 4month old staffy cross Empty Re: Baby on the way and 4month old staffy cross

Post by Guest Mon Nov 11 2013, 20:16

Well, firstly congratulations on the imminent arrival! I hope everything goes well for you.

The advice, really, is very simple. Keep doing what you're doing. You have 4 months to go, and he'll be learning an awful lot between now & then. I wouldn't allow any jumping up at all, and you'll have to make sure that everybody follows the same routine; what I do is say "Off" (or any other word you Want to use!) and then immediately turn away so that his feet go back on the ground. Don't look at him or talk to him, just cross your arms & ignore until he's calm. It may help to get him to sit before greeting anybody, and tell them not to touch him or talk to him until he does sit.

Before you bring the baby home, wrap a clean towel around him/her so that the baby's scent is all over it, then bring the towel home to your pup. Let him sniff it, take it to his bed, sleep with it if he wants. That way your baby's scent will be familiar to him when you get home.

Back to top Go down

Post by Gazagem Mon Nov 11 2013, 20:53

I would recommend walking with the buggy as well so he learns how to walk beside it worked with mine although my staff was older
Gazagem
Gazagem

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Skye
Dog(s) Ages : 4
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 146

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 11 2013, 20:58

Good point - easier to do it now, than when you actually have a baby in it!Big Grin 

Back to top Go down

Post by chelsea.hoath Mon Nov 11 2013, 21:03

Thank you for all the advice.. with the towel i think this is a good idea however he would most likely try to eat it and rip it up, if this happens should i correct him?
chelsea.hoath
chelsea.hoath

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Marley
Dog(s) Ages : 4 Months
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 11 2013, 21:36

Just gently take it away, and then give it back when he's a bit calmer. Don't shout or be angry because you want him to associate the scent with good things!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down