One person dog

2 posters

Go down

One person dog Empty One person dog

Post by daisyszoo Mon Sep 20 2010, 12:56

I think that I have heard this is common in staffies but Olive is definitely a "mommy's" girl. She likes every person that she meets, but she favors me quite a lot over any one else, even family members. She will follow me to the bathroom and lay outside the door waiting for me even if my kids are trying to play with her with toys. She obeys me quickly and easily and tends to ignore commands from everyone else (which of course is very frustrating to everyone else) She will play with other people and other dogs when I am around but one eye is always on me. Thankfully she has not acted overly anxious or upset when I am not around, but she definitely prefers me when I am around. I think it's precious Smile as long as she doesn't develop any anxiety...but I am not sure the best way to help my other family members with her obedience as the problem happens (her being naughty and not listening) only when I am not around. Does any of this make sense?

daisyszoo
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Olive
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

One person dog Empty Re: One person dog

Post by Guest Mon Sep 20 2010, 13:07

Basically although its nice for you that she preferes you etc its not really that great for other family members or for the dog really. You need to take a step back and get other family members with lots of high value treats like chicken or smelly cheese asking her to sit and training her etc so she associates them with good things!
Good luck

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Sep 20 2010, 13:28

It will also help the other family members if they take the dog for a walk. Ensure that Olive doesn't walk ahead of them so the dog knows they are also pack leaders, This includes walking threw doorways, narror paths etc before the dog.
I find the dog bonds with pack leaders more when on a walk than any other activity.
Also as stated above by blaze....this is how I got Blue eo stop growling at children by them giving Blue treats he started to connect children with good things and he hasn't growled at any child since.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Sep 20 2010, 13:51

Yea also other people need to control feeding times...they need to put the food down then pick it back up again for a minute half way through a feed, thats also shows dominence (spelling?)

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Mon Sep 20 2010, 14:53

All very sound advice, and yes they do get very attached to one person. When I went to battersea to re-home a staffie there where so many there that had to go to a "multi person household" obviously so that the dog doesn't get attatched to one person, and as I live on my own it made finding one harder. I eventually re-homed one and made sure that other people regulary take her out (my mum does one of her a day) she's been fine and I also let her stay around other peoples houses so gets used to me being away.
Make sure all your family members use the same commands, and as said before let them take Olive out without you.
Good luck x
janey
janey
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by daisyszoo Mon Sep 20 2010, 19:01

I am the stay at home mom when everyone else goes off to school and work so the hard part is getting anyone to do her walks/feedings when its much simpler for me to do it since the other members have a hectic morning. Thanks for the advice of things to work on. Does anyone else have a staffy that prefers one person?

daisyszoo

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by daisyszoo Mon Sep 20 2010, 19:04

blaze666 wrote:Yea also other people need to control feeding times...they need to put the food down then pick it back up again for a minute half way through a feed, thats also shows dominence (spelling?)

do you think showing dominance is directly related to listening to commands? Olive will let anyone pick up and mess with her food. She has never shown anything but lots of love for any person...she just won't sit or down for you no matter how you ask. If I am there she will look at me to see what I do, if I tell her yes, sit, then she will. I am told when I am not there she just looks at the person with a happy face and wagging tail but won't obey

daisyszoo

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Sep 20 2010, 21:08

yes i do....i think that she thinks she's above everyone else in the pecking order and therefore thinking 'why should i listen to you' At the end of the day however much she loves u she is still a dog and will wether she likes it or not has to obey other family members. In her head you are pack leader followed by her then other family down the line. This needs to change to her being at the bottom of the pecking order. Things like others walking first through door ways, others feeding her and saying when she can eat after everyone else has finished (alpha dogs eat first) will all help to put her in her place. Trust me with a really tasty treat and lots of praise she will obey anyone not just you....lol

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down