Weird Coughing/Hiccup Thing

3 posters

Go down

Weird Coughing/Hiccup Thing Empty Weird Coughing/Hiccup Thing

Post by stuandlee Mon May 02 2011, 22:35

Hi,

Some of you may know me from recently rehoming Ralfy who is about 16 months old...

We have only had him 2 weeks but have noticed this really odd kind of "boof" sort of cough. Not like he is choking but more like a tickly throat or something... it almost looks (and does sometimes sound like hiccups) with his stomach/chest jolting - as if it were a hiccup type thing...

he is extremely settled and happy but since having him, he has been sick twice - seems a lot to me considering he has only been here two weeks. Foal Farm (rescue centre) didnt mention anything when we got him.

We have noticed he is licking his paw a lot - there is nothing there and it doesnt look sore, but perhaps hair caught in his throat?

I have noticed him eating grass? Any clues?

Im not sure if it is because we have changed his food (gradually) from a complete dry food to a mix of "something or other" Wellbeloved (or whatever it is called?!), Winalot, Bran and a few mixer biscuits for dinner. For breakfast he has a Bonio (although he is not keen on it) and for lunch some normal biscuits that we would usually mix with food. Are we over feeding? He always seems to dam hungry but hes not over weight and gets tons of exercise.

Really cannot work it out - any ideas or suggestions would be good.

Ps. Is it normal for this breed to snore so dam loud and so dam much - honestly, its like having my 90 year old grandfather round everyday - he is deafening!!!!!!!!!!!!

stuandlee
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Ralf
Dog Gender(s) : Boy
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Weird Coughing/Hiccup Thing Empty Re: Weird Coughing/Hiccup Thing

Post by gem Mon May 02 2011, 22:42

Might have a touch of kennel cough, dogs know when they want to be sick and will eat grass or soil to bind the bile in the stomach that they want to get rid of .
Yes they are notorious snorers rolling on the floor
gem
gem
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : duke
Dog Gender(s) : dog
Support total : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by stuandlee Mon May 02 2011, 22:46

Yeah I thought they did chomp on grass if they felt icky....

Perhaps the change in diet relates to that?

But the coughing - if you would call it that? Perhaps Kennel cough, especially as he has been in a rescue centre? Is that a vet thing to deal with or can i treat at home?

stuandlee

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Ralf
Dog Gender(s) : Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon May 02 2011, 22:48

i wouldnt be feeding him three times a day at 16 months and not such a varied diet just stick with one or two.
you say he always so dam hungry does he bolt his food if so it may well be hic ups.
eating grass is normal with all staffies (im sure there part goat lol)just wait till your pulling it out the back end eeeeewwwwww
and the snoreing yip they cant half snore ha ha

and ps you must be lucky as your not complaining about there trumping probs

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon May 02 2011, 22:49

The cough could either be Kennel Cough or worms - the sickness could be worms as well - has he been wormed recently? If it's kennel cough, it will often clear on its own, but if you're worried have a word with your vet. If it is kennel cough, you'll have to take care around other dogs because it's very contageous.

The grass eating is quite normal as long as it isn't excessive - dogs can't digest grass & too much will cause stomach problems.

Licking his paw could be a sign of anxiety which will lessen the more he settles in with you. Try to stop him when you see him doing it.

If you're feeding a dry food such as James Wellbeloved, you don't need to feed anything else, especially not bran! I would also reduce his meals to 2 a day, and cut out all the different bits & bobs he's getting as they could cause an upset. By all means give biscuits as treats if you like, but not as part of his meals.

And the snoring? Welcome to the joys of staffy ownership! Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by gem Mon May 02 2011, 22:51

stuandlee wrote:Yeah I thought they did chomp on grass if they felt icky....

Perhaps the change in diet relates to that?

But the coughing - if you would call it that? Perhaps Kennel cough, especially as he has been in a rescue centre? Is that a vet thing to deal with or can i treat at home?

See how he goes if he is fit and healthy he should be okay but if it goes worse then maybe take him to the vets
gem
gem

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : duke
Dog Gender(s) : dog
Support total : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue May 03 2011, 00:04

My Holly does that when she is over excited.... like when she is chasing my poor kitty...she will stop and cough and splutter... it is almost like she had been holding her breath and then realises she need to breath lol..
I used to worry about it but she does it all the time and is fit and healthy...
if it bothers you maybe record it on your phone and show the vet next time your in. ( which i hope isnt to soon )
x
Mel

Back to top Go down

Post by hopefulnewowner Tue May 03 2011, 10:03

stuandlee wrote:Hi,

Some of you may know me from recently rehoming Ralfy who is about 16 months old...

We have only had him 2 weeks but have noticed this really odd kind of "boof" sort of cough. Not like he is choking but more like a tickly throat or something... it almost looks (and does sometimes sound like hiccups) with his stomach/chest jolting - as if it were a hiccup type thing...

he is extremely settled and happy but since having him, he has been sick twice - seems a lot to me considering he has only been here two weeks. Foal Farm (rescue centre) didnt mention anything when we got him.

We have noticed he is licking his paw a lot - there is nothing there and it doesnt look sore, but perhaps hair caught in his throat?

I have noticed him eating grass? Any clues?

Im not sure if it is because we have changed his food (gradually) from a complete dry food to a mix of "something or other" Wellbeloved (or whatever it is called?!), Winalot, Bran and a few mixer biscuits for dinner. For breakfast he has a Bonio (although he is not keen on it) and for lunch some normal biscuits that we would usually mix with food. Are we over feeding? He always seems to dam hungry but hes not over weight and gets tons of exercise.

Really cannot work it out - any ideas or suggestions would be good.

Ps. Is it normal for this breed to snore so dam loud and so dam much - honestly, its like having my 90 year old grandfather round everyday - he is deafening!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sounds like Jess was when we first got her a few months back! She had kennel cough and the vet gave antibiotics for it cleared in a week and we've since had her kennel cough vaccine (well more like a squirt up the nose) and yes snores, trumps (nasty lol) and eats grass. I'd say get prepared for the dive bombing staffy cuddles that you'll be getting without warning take you by surprise but fantastic!
hopefulnewowner
hopefulnewowner
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Jess
Dog Gender(s) : Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content