Moving abroad

3 posters

Go down

Moving abroad Empty Moving abroad

Post by Devika Wed Nov 06 2013, 19:22

I need to relocate to Switzerland from the US. My vet said she is on the fence whether she would transport a Staffy in cargo because of the short muzzle. Apparently short muzzled dogs are dying much more often in cargo because of overheating. There is a cruise line that takes dogs from NY to England and Hamburg. Reading this blog it appears it will be impossible to take her to England, as from there I would have to take the train which unfortunately goes through Paris, did I understand this correctly? So, I would have to take the cruise that goes to Hamburg? Does anyone know if I will encounter issues transporting her through Germany to Switzerland? Also, since I would only be passing through Paris (I do have Swiss citizenship as well), could I possibly get through, since I'm moving there. One person said if they catch in France, they will send you home - which home is where I'm intending to go anyways. So, it wouldn't matter. Can they take her away from me and euthanize her? Or would I just get a fine for passing through France.

Devika
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Devika
Dog(s) Ages : 2
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Moving abroad Empty Re: Moving abroad

Post by Sazzle Wed Nov 06 2013, 20:41

Hi there, I have moved your post to chat so more people see it to offer advise although I'm afraid I don't really know about that kind of thing.

Welcome to the forum, do come and say hi when you get chance Smile 

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com/f7-new-member-introductions
Sazzle
Sazzle
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Daisy
Dog(s) Ages : 3 ish
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 2451

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 06 2013, 20:47

Hi.

Is your dog a full stafford, with kc papers?

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Wed Nov 06 2013, 20:51

Probably a AKC registered Staffy (if registered at all) which with proper paperwork could be KC registered as well. Some airlines like Delta have pressurized and climate controlled freight for dogs as well as holding areas. I have had 3 dogs go via Delta and they even had vets on site. It costs more, but the only way I'd do it. They also won't allow snub-nosed dogs to fly if it is expected to be above 75 degrees on any leg of the trip when they are on the ground. Not sure about international flights but I know Delta does it international too.
Ben
Ben
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Frosty, Piglette
Dog(s) Ages : 3, 5
Dog Gender(s) : Male, Female
Support total : 325

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 06 2013, 21:11

If your dog is a KC reg stafford then travel through France and Germany with the correct paperwork is not a problem , you can stay in France but possibly not in Germany

I do have colleagues that live in Switzerland so if you don't get the answers you need then please let me know and I will see if they can help with some answers

Back to top Go down

Post by Devika Wed Nov 06 2013, 22:46

Hello everyone and thank you so much for being so kind and helpful! I do not have papers, but might be able to get a hold of them. I got her from my former neighbor. My vet told me she looks pure bred and might even be from a show line. I never really cared (I only paid $600 and she is a great dog), for me she is just my companion and pet, so papers weren't important. I understand this will be important in Europe and make my life a lot easier if I can get the papers?
Dave: thank you so much for your offer. I got in touch with the Pitbull club in Switzerland, which also covers Staffy and Amstaff. They never asked about paperwork/Akc or kc. Basically they just told me as long as I don't live in Zurich, it will be like every other dog and no issues involved. So, I'm assuming I should be fine. If you know otherwise, please let me know.
Also, thank you Ben for the tip with Delta. I will definitely inquire and call them to check how safe it is on international flights. I still prefer the cruise, so I can stay with her. I thought Germany got more liberal with its bsl in the past couple years? So, only if I can get her papers I can pass through? Same for France? Thanks for all your help again!

Devika

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sazzle Wed Nov 06 2013, 22:55

Good luck with it all, do let us know how you get on with your plans Smile 
Sazzle
Sazzle

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Daisy
Dog(s) Ages : 3 ish
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 2451

Back to top Go down

Post by Devika Thu Nov 07 2013, 02:44

Thank you Sazzle! I will! Your help has been greatly appreciated. Thanks for creating a new blog for me so I can actually get help. I would have never figured it out on my own with my tech illiterateness haha. Big hug to you and Daisy

Devika

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content