When is the right time ?

5 posters

Go down

When is the right time ? Empty When is the right time ?

Post by Laws Tue Nov 05 2013, 17:22

Havent posted in awhile as we have been kept so so busy with work and we are now finally one step closer to adding a second fur baby as we now own a house!

We got the keys the 29th oct , and have been getting a few bits and pieces done before all the furnature gets moved in . Have taken ziggy along whenever we can , the first time he went to the new house he seemed very panty , and slightly over stimulated . i took along a fleece that he sleeps on and rubbed it along the doors, door frames and any place i could that was around his head height and below and then the next day when he went he seemed alot calmer , played and peed on everything in the big garden.  I know when all his familar things and the furnature are in he will feel more comfy and the nicest thing is the house is on the same road as our current house so we will still do the same walk that we do in a morning and can still visit the lovely park that is local to us . We also plan to keep his routine the same to help settle him in .

Now as i have mentioned previously we wanted to get a second dog to the family and settled on having a female (as much as i would prefer two boys )  My question is , when is the right time ?  The house has plenty of space to which if things didnt go well we can seperate etc and have come up with action plans for this .

There are two thoughts to when the right time is i feel :
1) Let him settle in the new pad and get used to the place and make it his own
2) get the new pup while the house is still new to him so he doesnt feel the new pup is taking over "his"house .

What are your thoughts and advice ? Would you wait 6 months ? after chirstmas ? before ?

Background on zig , he turned 3 may this year , came from a faily with kids and other dogs . His nature to other dogs is excitement , his hackles do rise , but he is just super excited . There has never been any agression to other dogs , he plays rough like most bull breeds , always seems to look worse than it is and he has a blast running around and bowling his current play mates over , jumping round , head shaking their legs , chasing balls etc and lots of rough and tumble .

Help and advice much appreciated

Heres some pics and a quick video of him and the new pad Smile

When is the right time ? 1391595_10151955693321648_712934705_n_zpsb1fb78b6

When is the right time ? 1012470_10151955693301648_1698114045_n_zps889125a5

When is the right time ? 1012470_10151955693331648_17887352_n_zpse55fb27a

When is the right time ? 1378340_10151955693311648_644686850_n_zps0632d2a1

When is the right time ? IMAG0186_1_zps0e329bb6

Last edited by Darcy-may on Tue Nov 05 2013, 17:42; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Facebook link not allowed.)
Laws
Laws
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Engaged
Dogs Name(s) : Ziggy
Dog(s) Ages : 3
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 22

Back to top Go down

When is the right time ? Empty Re: When is the right time ?

Post by Guest Tue Nov 05 2013, 17:34

If you have your heart set on a boy get down to the local rescue and see if there are any males that your boy gets on with. There are members here who have two males and they get on great and members who have a bitch and dog who fight all day and night. Its whatever you dog like Big Grin

if you are ready, go for it! just make sure your boy is calm and not still anxious about the move.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Nov 05 2013, 17:45

As Hayley says we've have lots of members who have same sex or one of each dogs, I go with what you feel, personally I'd get another girl, but that's me Smile

Go have a look once your boy is settled in Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Nov 05 2013, 19:41

Hayley wrote:If you have your heart set on a boy get down to the local rescue and see if there are any males that your boy gets on with. There are members here who have two males and they get on great and members who have a bitch and dog who fight all day and night. Its whatever you dog like Big Grin

if you are ready, go for it! just make sure your boy is calm and not still anxious about the move.
Yes, but there's also a member here whose two males have just virtually killed each other.

I would always sugest getting the opposite sex, and I would wait until your current boy is fully settled in your new home. If he's a little stressed, he may decide to take it out on his new playmate!Sad 

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Nov 05 2013, 20:12

Caryll wrote:
Hayley wrote:If you have your heart set on a boy get down to the local rescue and see if there are any males that your boy gets on with. There are members here who have two males and they get on great and members who have a bitch and dog who fight all day and night. Its whatever you dog like Big Grin

Yes, but there's also a member here whose two males have just virtually killed each other.

I would always sugest getting the opposite sex, and I would wait until your current boy is fully settled in your new home. If he's a little stressed, he may decide to take it out on his new playmate!Sad 
and there are also members whos dogs have nearly killed their bitches. i personally know a family whos dog killed a dog and a bitch but was fine with any other dogs just not the ones in the house. every dog is different, sex does not mean youre safe.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Nov 05 2013, 20:20

Hayley wrote: sex does not mean youre safe.
No, but you're generally safer with a dog and a bitch.

Back to top Go down

Post by Steviec Fri Nov 08 2013, 09:38

Caryll wrote:

agreed, i've heard 2 of the same sex can create issues.....although saying that i have 2 male staffs and they get along great (although i would never leave the house and allow them to be together, just incase). i had cass who was about 8 months old and my girlfriends boy was 4 years old. we introduced them on neutral ground and they luckily hit it off brilliantly. i wouldn't say it's whatever dog you like, it's more whatever dog/ bitch gets on better. personally i wouldn't suggest a rescue, if i'd do it again it'd have to be a puppy so the puppy would be grow up with the dogs.

i'd get a rescue if i didn't have a dog in the first place.
Steviec
Steviec

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Cassius
Dog(s) Ages : Born 24/5/2012
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 26

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Fri Nov 08 2013, 10:18

I would wait until you are all fully settled into your new home then go and see about another dog/bitch. If you decide to go for a rescue dog ask them if you can take your dog along with you to meet any potential new friends. That way you will have experienced staff on hand when the initial introductions are made in a controlled environment.
Kathy
Kathy
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Laws Sat Nov 09 2013, 21:51

Hey guys , thanks for all the advice . We plan to be super careful and think that a female pup would be the best option . If i hadnt already got a dog i wouldnt hesitate to rescue .
We will wait till he is all settled and a happy chappy in the new house (we are already having a nitemare with the fireworks!)

I still speak regularly with ziggys previous owner and he has offered to come and help with any introductions and also said that he can help source a quality breeder who will do the correct health checks etc .

Im really excited , also abit nervous about having a pup !
Laws
Laws

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Engaged
Dogs Name(s) : Ziggy
Dog(s) Ages : 3
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 22

Back to top Go down

Post by jola139 Sun Nov 10 2013, 12:34

I think too you should wait and I would also take opposite sex. But I also would look for opposite character. I know that Debo is very confident dog and very dominate so in the future when Debo is 3, we will be looking for female who's submissive one. Good luck.
jola139
jola139

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Debo
Dog(s) Ages : 7,5 yeras
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 106

Back to top Go down

Post by Staffyness Sun Nov 10 2013, 21:23

I have done introducing a new dog the right way (waited,prepared the dogs secure place & done slow introductions) & the wrong way (been dumped with unstable,neglected dogs with no history & 2 recents kittens)during 3 separate home moves! as long as yours & ziggys bond is solid & calm, timing shouldn't be the main factor but any dogs behave differently. I had 2 males & 2 female together but the girls sometimes have power struggles. Good luck with your journey.
Staffyness
Staffyness
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Boo Piddy Greg
Dog(s) Ages : 10 13 13
Dog Gender(s) : Male female female
Support total : 6

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down