NEED HELP QUICK TIMES RUNNING OUT!!!!!

5 posters

Go down

NEED HELP QUICK TIMES RUNNING OUT!!!!! Empty NEED HELP QUICK TIMES RUNNING OUT!!!!!

Post by moy24 Sun May 01 2011, 17:44

I got a resue staffy about just over a month now but he suffers from seperation anxiety when i leave him home he howls and barks and starts whinning i tried everything left tv on,radio on, tablets nothing works the neigbours complained to the council and i have no choice but to send him back to the rescue center or get a shock collar does anyone have any advice what to do i have 2 weeks to sort this out according to the coucil.
moy24
moy24
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : SHADOW
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

NEED HELP QUICK TIMES RUNNING OUT!!!!! Empty Re: NEED HELP QUICK TIMES RUNNING OUT!!!!!

Post by hollymolly Sun May 01 2011, 18:00

Sorry i have no idea's really other than the one's you have already mentioned.. i used to leave the radio on for Rottie, only coz i didn't want him to be in silence but i guess he wouldn't have been bothered what i left on for him really... you must really be at your wits end knowing some misery guts has complained about your poor dog barking & howling to the council.. Really hope you manage to sort it without having to let the dog go or use one of them shock collars ( i HATE them collars ).. Iv'e got everything crossed for you x
hollymolly
hollymolly
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Inca & Sky
Dog(s) Ages : 4 yrs old & 2 yrs old ...
Dog Gender(s) : Both Females..
Support total : 84

Back to top Go down

NEED HELP QUICK TIMES RUNNING OUT!!!!! Empty Re: NEED HELP QUICK TIMES RUNNING OUT!!!!!

Post by Guest Sun May 01 2011, 18:04

A shock collar won't help in the least!

Have you tried a DAP plug in thingy? It releases pheromones that are supposed to calm a dog down. Or maybe a thundershirt?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/DAP-Diffuser-Pack-Appeasing-Pheromone/dp/B001A2X950

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dpets&field-keywords=thundershirt&x=13&y=18

Back to top Go down

Post by moy24 Sun May 01 2011, 18:08

Caryll wrote:A shock collar won't help in the least!

Have you tried a DAP plug in thingy? It releases pheromones that are supposed to calm a dog down. Or maybe a thundershirt?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/DAP-Diffuser-Pack-Appeasing-Pheromone/dp/B001A2X950

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dpets&field-keywords=thundershirt&x=13&y=18
i tried and my staffy wont stop i dont wat to do
moy24
moy24

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Aniemother Sun May 01 2011, 18:12

Does anyone you know have a calm, adult dog you could borrow? Perhaps company is the way to go (or at least the way to start).

How long did you try the DAP for? And did you remember to start using the thundershirt when the dog is calm and relaxed so it associates the shirt with being relaxed? The shirt can also require some time to take full effect - so for how long did you use it.

It's not that we doubt you or anything, just that the more details we have the easier it is to know what you haven't tried.
Aniemother
Aniemother

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Gaffa (SBT), Strips (BC) and Terex (AK)
Support total : 22

http://wrigglebutts.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun May 01 2011, 18:14

have you tried a thundershirt - vanessa swears by it and its just arrrived in the uk now too, says on the label can assist with seperation anxiety

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Sun May 01 2011, 18:23

Have you tried crate taining, I haven't done it myself but giving him his own little safe place may work. Or go back to basics for leaving him for a short while and gradually build up the time left. Just a thought. What a horriable shock for you, I really hope you can sort it x
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun May 01 2011, 18:24

Is he crate trained?! If not get one and put it somewhere like under the stairs and cover with blankets to make it into a den. Leave a tv on quietly for background noise. Buy a kong and stuff it with peanut butter and freeze it and put it in crate with him as well and chewy toys, water, a bone, ummmm a frozen carrot, litterally as many things to keep him amused as possible. Change your routine when u leave the house ie, leave through the back door, and leave for 5 mins then come back in, leave him in his crate for 5 mins while u wonder around then let him out with no fuss. Then leave for 10 mins and come back and repeat each time building up the time. Thats the best advice i can give and please please give it a go as the last thing he needs is to be sent back into rescue just because no one has done anything about his separation anxiety x

Back to top Go down

Post by moy24 Sun May 01 2011, 18:38

He gets in his crate and still barks and whinnes and howls and also tried him without the crate still no luck.it dont matter what i give him if i give him kong treats or anything to paly or eat he wont touch it untill i get home.i tried dap for 3 weeks,and i tried the thundershirt as mentioned on the description but still wont work i tried this for about 3 weeks too i cant get another dog for him to have company as my flat aint big enough for 2 dogs.
moy24
moy24

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Sun May 01 2011, 18:49

Have you tried going back to basics, there learn so quickly, you haven't got a lot of time but with massive effort it should work x
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by moy24 Sun May 01 2011, 18:54

janey wrote:Have you tried going back to basics, there learn so quickly, you haven't got a lot of time but with massive effort it should work x
yea i did try it i use to go out n come back in after 5-10 min then longer each time but no luck
moy24
moy24

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Sun May 01 2011, 18:57

Did you really persist?? I'm not questioning you at all but it takes a little time and a lot of patience and a lot of repition
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by moy24 Sun May 01 2011, 18:58

janey wrote:Did you really persist?? I'm not questioning you at all but it takes a little time and a lot of patience and a lot of repition
yea mate i have had for over a month now and been trying everthing since i got him.
moy24
moy24

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun May 01 2011, 19:00

Its seems you,ve tried everything in a month so maybe your not giving anything time to work, leave the dog for 1min and then return and build upwards in very short amounts leaving him 5-10mins is to much to start with

But you must give him time to adapt to any method you choose to use

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun May 01 2011, 19:00

aahh great minds Janey (do you know anyone with one Laughing )

Back to top Go down

Post by moy24 Sun May 01 2011, 19:05

Marty wrote:Its seems you,ve tried everything in a month so maybe your not giving anything time to work, leave the dog for 1min and then return and build upwards in very short amounts leaving him 5-10mins is to much to start with

But you must give him time to adapt to any method you choose to use
you might be right i need time for it to work but as the neigbours are makeing compalints and i dont get along with them since they moved in and have fight with them alot so i dont have a choice but to try to make my dog stop barking n everthing quick.
moy24
moy24

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Sun May 01 2011, 19:06

How long is he left for when he starts to bark?? Do you know at all?? I haven't dealt with seperation anxiety, just throwing suggestions. You need to think positive to start with. If you really have tried everything out, properly, then going back to basics is the only idea I have. Its going to be hard but also can be done. You have to be strong for both of you. He's still only 2, and its only been a month since you got him. He has a lot to learn, new surroundings and do you know his past at all?

You can do it, you just need to be positive and believe he will learn, cause they will
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by moy24 Sun May 01 2011, 19:20

janey wrote:How long is he left for when he starts to bark?? Do you know at all?? I haven't dealt with seperation anxiety, just throwing suggestions. You need to think positive to start with. If you really have tried everything out, properly, then going back to basics is the only idea I have. Its going to be hard but also can be done. You have to be strong for both of you. He's still only 2, and its only been a month since you got him. He has a lot to learn, new surroundings and do you know his past at all?

You can do it, you just need to be positive and believe he will learn, cause they will
sometimes he will start barking after 2 min sometimes after 5 min only thing i no is his previous owner committed suiced last xmas and he was with the dead body fo 3 days without food or drink
moy24
moy24

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Sun May 01 2011, 19:25

All I can say is back to basics and persist with one method. Its a tough situation but you can make it work. Whilst your trying this could you poss get someone in whilst you are out, for a short space of time so he's not being left for long periods of time, he may learn that you leaving means fun time later on!?
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by moy24 Sun May 01 2011, 19:28

janey wrote:All I can say is back to basics and persist with one method. Its a tough situation but you can make it work. Whilst your trying this could you poss get someone in whilst you are out, for a short space of time so he's not being left for long periods of time, he may learn that you leaving means fun time later on!?
he will still bark if someone else come to stay with him even if i leave him in the garden with someone just for 2 min he will start whinning he wont even walk with anyone if i dont come with him you have to drag him and still wont move but soon as he sees me walking with him he will be fine an start walking n playing.
moy24
moy24

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Sun May 01 2011, 19:39

As I said I haven't experienced it. The walking thing is quite normal (someone else walks my dog in the afternoons), mine used to do that when I first got her at about 1, but I didn't make an issue out of it, and yes she was pulled round the corner by them, she soon stopped doing it, they are stubborn but learn.

janey
janey

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Sun May 01 2011, 20:09

On sky Three now (its me or the dog) there is a case with seperation anxiety, may be worth a watch.
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Sun May 01 2011, 20:25

janey wrote:On sky Three now (its me or the dog) there is a case with seperation anxiety, may be worth a watch.

I really hope your watching. On there he's having a panic attack. He was from a shelter and think he may have been taken away from a dog that he poss grew up with without much notice, a bit like yours and his owner. There is medication that they can have. x
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon May 02 2011, 02:44

Does he listen to you when you tell him to stop doing something while your in the house? If so stand outside the door wait for him to whine or bark and give a correction firmly. Just by his body language in the photo he seems to be very nervous so anxiety was never far from it, I think the only way you are going to solve this is corrections,
Give him a correction to be quiet when he start whinning, once he has stopped for a few minutes go in and give him a fuss and repeat it.
When it comes to nervous/anxious dogs there is no easy route or soft one, you give attention when he is in an unstable state you will only worsen it, so you got to stay stable for both of you and show him how by not allowing him to be in those states by correcting him immediatly,
When it comes to he will not walk with no one or do anything without you, Don't let him take the easy route force him through the unstableness and out the other side, he will be alot better off for it.

Back to top Go down

Post by moy24 Mon May 02 2011, 11:58

MissRogue wrote:Does he listen to you when you tell him to stop doing something while your in the house? If so stand outside the door wait for him to whine or bark and give a correction firmly. Just by his body language in the photo he seems to be very nervous so anxiety was never far from it, I think the only way you are going to solve this is corrections,
Give him a correction to be quiet when he start whinning, once he has stopped for a few minutes go in and give him a fuss and repeat it.
When it comes to nervous/anxious dogs there is no easy route or soft one, you give attention when he is in an unstable state you will only worsen it, so you got to stay stable for both of you and show him how by not allowing him to be in those states by correcting him immediatly,
When it comes to he will not walk with no one or do anything without you, Don't let him take the easy route force him through the unstableness and out the other side, he will be alot better off for it.
he does listen to me so i will try what you said thanks.
moy24
moy24

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by moy24 Mon May 02 2011, 11:59

janey wrote:
janey wrote:On sky Three now (its me or the dog) there is a case with seperation anxiety, may be worth a watch.

I really hope your watching. On there he's having a panic attack. He was from a shelter and think he may have been taken away from a dog that he poss grew up with without much notice, a bit like yours and his owner. There is medication that they can have. x
i missed it but il watch it online later today thanks he is already on tablet which is meant to help so il give it a few more days and see if it makes any difference.
moy24
moy24

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by gem Mon May 02 2011, 21:59

I have no experience with this so couldnt help just hope you can get something sorted, I dont think your neighbours are being nasty it must be annoying to have a dog barking for hours on end Smile
gem
gem

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : duke
Dog Gender(s) : dog
Support total : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down