side effects?

2 posters

Go down

side effects? Empty side effects?

Post by Guest Fri Nov 01 2013, 04:35

As you know the kids are on antihistamines for seasonal allergies and Vinny's also on a dose on antibiotics and what I feel is quite a high cortisone dosage for the next week as he really suffers.

I read the side effects of cortisone include excessive thirst and hunger. Well, he's been going through about three quarters of a bowl of water every couple of hours (obviously meaning more toilet outings) and licking his lips a lot. Last night he couldn't settle and was very hungry, so gave him a light snack but he still wouldn't settle. Kept going outside to check things out, wondering around and looking uncomfy. I was up with him until gone 11pm when he finally plopped in bed - only to get up about 5 or 6 times (because of all the water). He was also unsettled this morning and has only now fallen into a comfy sleep (with Roxy by his side - she stuck with him all night). He'a also pretty smelly this morning sick  (bum trumpet!)

I'm almost keen to fast him today after the amount of water he's taken in to let his tum settle but on the other hand worry about the hunger side effects. What do you think?

Am I just being a worry wart and these are side effects from his meds?

Back to top Go down

side effects? Empty Re: side effects?

Post by Guest Fri Nov 01 2013, 08:52

I reckon it's just the side effects of the meds, they can also make him hyper so that is maybe why he couldn't settle. It's natural to worry about him, you could always speak to the Vet to put your mind at rest biggrin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Nov 01 2013, 08:55

Chiara wrote:I reckon it's just the side effects of the meds, they can also make him hyper so that is maybe why he couldn't settle. It's natural to worry about him, you could always speak to the Vet to put your mind at rest biggrin
Thanks Claire Smile Hate seeing them anything less than super happy! At least he is catching up on sleep now.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Nov 01 2013, 08:55

Aww bless him biggrin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Nov 01 2013, 09:37

Aww poor vin Sad sounds like he was so unsettled Lisa Sad it's so worrying isn't it. Give your vet a ring if it'll help ease your worry but does sound like it's the meds causing it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Nov 01 2013, 10:29

You could try rationing his water intake. For example, just put a small bowl down and when he's finished it don't give any more for, say, an hour. He'll still be drinking as much, but not all in one go. The lip licking is a sign that his stomach feels bad & he feels a bit sick. Probably because he's taking in too much water all at once.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Nov 01 2013, 10:33

Caryll wrote:You could try rationing his water intake. For example, just put a small bowl down and when he's finished it don't give any more for, say, an hour. He'll still be drinking as much, but not all in one go. The lip licking is a sign that his stomach feels bad & he feels a bit sick. Probably because he's taking in too much water all at once.
Thanks so much Caryll. I started cutting back on the amount of water I put down last night when I realised how much he was drinking at a time. I just gave him a light "easy on the tum" breakfast with his meds this morning. He's tired today but ok energy-wise, so do you think it will still be fine to take him for his afternoon walk or better to let him rest?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Nov 01 2013, 10:34

I'd try and keep his routine as much the same as you can, tbh.

If you think the walks are wearing him out too much you can cut them down a bit, but if you skip a walk he might get stressed and that'd lead to even more problems.Sad 

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Nov 01 2013, 10:36

Caryll wrote:I'd try and keep his routine as much the same as you can, tbh.

If you think the walks are wearing him out too much you can cut them down a bit, but if you skip a walk he might get stressed and that'd lead to even more problems.Sad 
I'm a bit of a stickler for their routine so we'll carry on and play the timing by ear. Thank you side effects? 3198918699 

Back to top Go down

Post by Sazzle Fri Nov 01 2013, 13:17

Poor Vinny side effects? 3198918699 xx
Sazzle
Sazzle
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Daisy
Dog(s) Ages : 3 ish
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 2451

Back to top Go down

Post by Kelsbels Fri Nov 01 2013, 16:44

You might already be aware but steroids can cause liver damage, my last staffy was on steroids for allergies and ended up with liver disease pretty quickly, get your vet to check liver enzymes at the nxt appointment, feel better soon vinny xxxx
Kelsbels
Kelsbels
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Nico
Dog(s) Ages : 1
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 95

Back to top Go down