Umbilical hernia

Go down

Umbilical hernia  Empty Umbilical hernia

Post by Kelsbels Wed Oct 30 2013, 15:36

Hi all, so the vet told us that nico has an umbilical hernia, it's reasonably large but not giving him any issues at this time. We have to watch out for any vomiting, discharge from the area or changes to it. Anyone. Else had this issue with their dog? I believe when this happens its routinely corrected by operation at the same time as nutering but as my boy was neutered by the sspca they didn't do this, should we put him though it now or just hope nothing ever comes of it? Sorry, I'm a bit of. A panic merchant, lol!
Kelsbels
Kelsbels
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Nico
Dog(s) Ages : 1
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 95

Back to top Go down

Umbilical hernia  Empty Re: Umbilical hernia

Post by Guest Wed Oct 30 2013, 16:00

Aww don't be sorry kellie, we all panic, they do worry us don't they Surprised I've not got any experience with umbilical hernias sorry but I'm sure someone will be along shortly who can help Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Nov 01 2013, 14:22

There are two types of umbilical hernia - complicated and uncomplicated. Complicated hernias occurs when a part of the intestines get stuck in the opening between the separated muscles. Uncomplicated hernias involve just a swelling in the area - an 'outie' belly button, for instance.

The vomiting and discharge would occur with a complicated hernia, which is why you've been advised to keep an eye on it. Smile From the sound of it, it's an uncomplicated hernia.

Some hernias will actually correct themselves during puppyhood and small ones, even if they don't disappear, will usually not need treatment of any kind.

If complications do come up, a vet may decide to operate to close up the hole. It might be worth you discussing your options with a vet, so that he/she can give you an idea of exactly what might need doing. Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kelsbels Fri Nov 01 2013, 14:27

Thanks Eleanor, it is like an outie belly button Smile Smile Smile  he's had no problems so unless anything changes ( I.e. it becomes complicated) then I think leaving well alone is the best thing for him! thumbs up 
Kelsbels
Kelsbels

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Nico
Dog(s) Ages : 1
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 95

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Nov 01 2013, 14:29

I think that's a good idea Smile I'm sure he'll be fine!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down