Higher sentences for owners of dangerous dogs

+4
Staffy lover
Keith
kozmos
stella
8 posters

Go down

Higher sentences for owners of dangerous dogs Empty Higher sentences for owners of dangerous dogs

Post by Guest Wed Oct 30 2013, 08:45

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/owners-of-dogs-who-kill-could-face-14-years-imprisonment

Back to top Go down

Higher sentences for owners of dangerous dogs Empty Re: Higher sentences for owners of dangerous dogs

Post by stella Wed Oct 30 2013, 20:36

thanks for posting claire Smile 
stella
stella
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : sasha
Dog(s) Ages : 15years RIP
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 1747

Back to top Go down

Higher sentences for owners of dangerous dogs Empty Re: Higher sentences for owners of dangerous dogs

Post by Guest Wed Oct 30 2013, 20:56

Totally agree with the increased sentences, but the following statement worries me a little...

"We’re also giving local authorities and the police new powers to nip issues in the bud and take action before a dog attack takes place."

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Oct 30 2013, 20:59

Caryll wrote:Totally agree with the increased sentences, but the following statement worries me a little...

"We’re also giving local authorities and the police new powers to nip issues in the bud and take action before a dog attack takes place."

Yes caryll  it's very very worrying Sad

Back to top Go down

Post by kozmos Wed Oct 30 2013, 23:07

subject was on the j.v. phone-in talk show today :
i.e. attacks on guide dogs
starts @ 01:35:30
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b03ffgdg

Last edited by kozmos on Wed Oct 30 2013, 23:10; edited 1 time in total
kozmos
kozmos
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Higher sentences for owners of dangerous dogs Top_ra10

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Lady
Support total : 49

Back to top Go down

Post by Keith Wed Oct 30 2013, 23:10

£500 says this will develop into police seizing dogs if they think the weedy owner isn't fully in control of it in a public place, irrespective of whether anything bad has happened, or not.
Keith
Keith
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Wingo and Captain Weemo
Dog(s) Ages : Probably about four and, er, ten maybe?
Dog Gender(s) : one of each
Support total : 181

Back to top Go down

Post by Staffy lover Thu Oct 31 2013, 12:13

That is very worrying too.............
Staffy lover
Staffy lover

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Pixee
Dog(s) Ages : 4 ish
Dog Gender(s) : Bitch
Support total : 214

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathan Thu Oct 31 2013, 23:27

Caryll wrote:Totally agree with the increased sentences, but the following statement worries me a little...

Always a catch...but if they are anything like existing laws its a toothless threat. All spin and no guts... when was the last time you heard of an owner prosecuted for there dog not wearing tags??? I see lots of them each day without a collar let alone tags. I work with two police officers and they say dogs are way down on there list of priorities. I give em a hard time for it but they have to do what they are told. More worryingly neither knew what type was and even what a dlo is... stunned to say the least...
How does the government expect to police the laws when those that are supposed to be upholding them dont even know whats involved in a ruling that took place over 20 years ago..

Last edited by Nathan on Sat Nov 02 2013, 17:17; edited 1 time in total
Nathan
Nathan

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Marley and Laska
Dog(s) Ages : 30/08/2011 Marley 03/05/12 Laska
Dog Gender(s) : Male Marley Female Laska
Support total : 626

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Nov 01 2013, 10:59

That's the catch, Nathan, isn't it? The police don't know what the hell's going on, so how can the law be effective and fair?

Back to top Go down

Post by DafnPuppet Fri Nov 01 2013, 11:51

More knee-jerk legislation to high-profile dog attacks.  With less and less 'city folk' owning or being exposed to dogs, their ignorance of them increases. The general public need to be educated that dogs of any breed are not inherently aggressive or dangerous. They also need to learn the correct way to approach a dog or when to not approach at all!! at wits end 

As a recent rescue, and until he fully has my trust, Ozzie's meetings with new people, especially children are supervised by me or my wife. He has never shown any aggression, but can get bouncy when excited.

I am a great believer in colour-coded dog leads and also compulsory microchipping and licensing / registration.

But ultimately it is us, the responsible owners who do this while the ignorant few try to spoil it for us.
DafnPuppet
DafnPuppet
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : Ozzie
Dog(s) Ages : 18 Months
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 6

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Fri Nov 01 2013, 12:03

I like the idea of the colour coded leads etc, but for them to be effective everyone else needs to be aware of their meaning. Otherwise people will just walk straight up to you and ask what it means which kind of defeats the purpose.
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by DafnPuppet Fri Nov 01 2013, 13:01

Kathy wrote:I like the idea of the colour coded leads etc, but for them to be effective everyone else needs to be aware of their meaning. Otherwise people will just walk straight up to you and ask what it means which kind of defeats the purpose.
Very true Cool 

And we are back to the subject of educating the ignorant raised eyebrows 
DafnPuppet
DafnPuppet

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : Ozzie
Dog(s) Ages : 18 Months
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 6

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Fri Nov 01 2013, 15:18

the police will be targeting rudeboy kids or shady people that well know with dog IMO i cant see them targeting people like us

Steve

Status Status :

Male
Support total : 1443

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Nov 01 2013, 17:47

I can garuntee you won't see the owner of a jack russel or a yorkie in jail, it will only be the owners of the bulls.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down