The Shar-pei..

5 posters

Go down

The Shar-pei.. Empty The Shar-pei..

Post by Rachel33 Sun Oct 06 2013, 19:57

Do any of you guys have much experience of the breed as pets? As some of you may now I've been keeping an eye out for another dog as a companion for us & Biscuit for a little while now.. Love my bull breeds but not fussed on breed as long as they fit in well into the house. I'm really interested in the Shar-pei breed but other than handling them in kennels, have no in house experience of them. Every one that I've met in kennels i've loved, although unfortunately most that I've handled have been in for aggression issues, many including full blown bites but I would imagine as such an aloof breed they would not experience people invading their personal space even less that more interactive dogs. That's all I know of them! I understand that they are very aloof dogs with strangers but from what I've experienced, extremely affectionate with "their" people.

I've seen a few stafford x shar peis for rescue, and also straight shar-peis.. Just interested to hear some first hand pet experience of the breed Smile
Rachel33
Rachel33
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Bug (Biscuit)
Dog(s) Ages : 7 ish
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 1012

Back to top Go down

The Shar-pei.. Empty Re: The Shar-pei..

Post by Kathy Sun Oct 06 2013, 20:23

Sorry Rachel I do not have any experience with this breed, have you tried a search for a Shar Pei forum ??
Kathy
Kathy
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Shontelle Sun Oct 06 2013, 20:25

I've heard that these dogs can be extremely aggressive, but that could be the same false media as our beloved staffies get. I have no experience at all with the breed. But good on you for researching before buying, if more people did that and made sure that it was what they wanted, animal shelters wouldn't be so crowded.
Shontelle
Shontelle
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Charlie
Dog(s) Ages : 3
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 06 2013, 20:32

Sorry Rach no idea, though I do love them myself Big Grin 

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 06 2013, 20:34

A next-door but one neighbour had a young (around a yearish?) Shar Pei bitch which was a nice dog - not over-friendly but not aggressive either. They were a bit careless with her and she got out once and wandered the roads, but attached herself to a group of young people and when they got to her house she just took herself back inside (which is more than my daft dog would do!). The only thing was she had such tiny eyes that it was difficult to see any expression.

She didn't seem as wrinkly as Shar-Peis of a few years back were, which I understand were a bit of a problem to keep hygienically clean (you had to clean inside all their folds of skin very regularly) - also I think they had a problem with entropion.

That's all I know I'm afraid!

Back to top Go down

Post by cesca1 Sun Oct 06 2013, 22:53

A friend of mine had a male and it's great with people/children but quite dog aggressive!
cesca1
cesca1

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Engaged
Dogs Name(s) : Molly
Dog(s) Ages : 20.04.12
Support total : 65

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 07 2013, 07:48

As a breed they are generally quite aggressive to other dogs, people and animals. They are guard dogs. They don't like being told what to do and won't do it, but they are fiercely loyal if they like you. They can have a lot of problems with skin due to their wrinkles and getting near their head to put eyedrops in is like playing five finger fillet. They are gorgeous though lol

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Mon Oct 07 2013, 17:52

Tendency as Hayley said. However, each individual dog can be fine as well. Best bet with any x breed is to do a neutral meet and greet and see how things go. I would probably avoid this mix myself, but every dog can be ok depending on individual temperament and how they take to your dog. Same thing can be said of Staffies, mastiffs, Ambulls, and a host. Doesn't mean it can't work, you just have to know you are dealing with a powerful dog that can tend that way.
Ben
Ben

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Frosty, Piglette
Dog(s) Ages : 3, 5
Dog Gender(s) : Male, Female
Support total : 325

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel33 Mon Oct 07 2013, 18:53

Thanks so much for all of your replies! Really useful, many have likened them to Akitas in the way of stubbornness and willfulness, I've worked with a fair few with real aggression problems, but so have I staffies so just wanted a truer image of them I suppose Smile will keep on with my research til the right dog comes along!
Rachel33
Rachel33

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Bug (Biscuit)
Dog(s) Ages : 7 ish
Support total : 1012

Back to top Go down