sad puppy

3 posters

Go down

sad puppy  Empty sad puppy

Post by janfrost489 Sun Sep 22 2013, 10:40

Hi everyone sasha is 5 months old now and is turning into a blinding dog she still naughty and has some issues but we love her to bits. The problem we have well I say its a problem but its not as such. When sasha came to live with us it was coming up to the 6 weeks summer holidays as I work in a school we thought this would be a good time to get a puppy. We both bonded played and stressed with sasha and this site got us through some pretty bad days. Every time I now go to work I give her a big cuddle but she has started to sit by the gate in the kitchen where she can see the front door. I keep in touch during the day and my hubby sends me pics of stuff she gets upto during the day the other day she looked so sad when I first left I felt really bad for leaving her. When I come home she is so excited she wees wherever she is my hubby has started bringing her to the bus stop to save the carpet. She wont leave my side either and is always trying to sit on my lap or trying to get in between the hubby and me even though I give her so many cuddles it never seems enough. He let her upstairs this morning as soon as she saw me she weed unfortunately she was on the bed by this time. I still gave her lots of fuss and cuddles he took her down while I got dressed I was gone for no more than 5 minutes when I went into the kitchen wees everywhere again as she follows me. Anyway my question is should I try and distance myself from her abit or try something else new Sad
janfrost489
janfrost489
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : sasha
Dog(s) Ages : 06/05/2013
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 12

Back to top Go down

sad puppy  Empty Re: sad puppy

Post by Guest Sun Sep 22 2013, 10:46

I used to have this problem with Tilly , got around it by making sure Jo ( my OH ) knew when I was coming home and put her in the garden first to make sure her bladder was empty , also don't fuss her until she is calm . I spend full days or more away and sometimes have to wear shirt and trousers so had to teach Tilly not to go mental when I was in my good clothes , they soon learn . When she was 5-6 months she would follow me upstairs onto the bed and get more excited as she saw me taking off my good clothes and then she knew it was playtime

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Sep 22 2013, 10:48

Aww she loves her mummy, she won't have full control over her bladder yet so that should explain the excited wee's hopefully that will lessen the older she gets, perhaps you could try teaching her to wait for fuss until she's calmed down, maybe by waiting for her to settle first then fussing her, darcy follows me everywhere, toilet, bath, bed, chair Laughing perhaps the sad face is because she misses you, do she cry whilst your gone or is she quite content with hubby? Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Sep 22 2013, 10:48

And btw , bet nobody can give you a sadder face than Tilly when I leave , she just sees me put good clothes on or pack a case and knows I'm going to be out , then she just jumps in my chair and refuses to say goodbye , if I was to give her a treat at that point she would refuse to eat it just to make me feel bad

Back to top Go down

Post by janfrost489 Sun Sep 22 2013, 10:58

Before the hubby started bringing her to the bus stop to meet me I turned my back to her and didn't even acknowledge her until she calmed down she still wee'd even if she had been put outside in the garden beforehand as thats what the forum advised me to do and this worked she no longer jumps up but bum shuffles instead. She doesn't moan or whine when I go but we've taught her not to bark etc in the house and she is really good she just sits by the gate and then the hubby distracts her and she is fine. Im not sure whether to let her continue sitting on my lap continuously or encourage her to sit on the other couch on her throw. She doesn't even sit on the floor anymore she just comes in from whatever shes been doing and gets on my lap or squeezes inbetween us
janfrost489
janfrost489

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Sep 22 2013, 11:03

janfrost489 wrote:Before the hubby started bringing her to the bus stop to meet me I turned my back to her and didn't even acknowledge her until she calmed down she still wee'd even if she had been put outside in the garden beforehand as thats what the forum advised me to do and this worked she no longer jumps up but bum shuffles instead. She doesn't moan or whine when I go but we've taught her not to bark etc in the house and she is really good she just sits by the gate and then the hubby distracts her and she is fine. Im not sure whether to let her continue sitting on my lap continuously or encourage her to sit on the other couch on her throw. She doesn't even sit on the floor anymore she just comes in from whatever shes been doing and gets on my lap or squeezes inbetween us
The lapdog is just what she's learnt from you , if you are comfortable with it I don't see any need to stop it , the sad face is a sulk ( apparently though it can't be as staffys are not capable of sulking Rolling Eyes  ) . When you send her to the garden are you sure she does a wee and then comes in or is it just that she has been out ?? , maybe hubby has to go back to some basics here and wait until she has done something and praise her ?? then let her in . I am only guessing here , and also as said she doesn't have full bladder control at the moment so it doesn't help

Back to top Go down

Post by janfrost489 Sun Sep 22 2013, 11:23

You're right about the lap thing shes always been able to do it and ive never really stopped her because I feel bad to stop her. When I do she gives me those sad eyes puts her dead down and goes to her crate I feel sorry for her and call her back and up she gets. Its pretty clever on her part though as for not sulking sasha so does sulk when shes told off she actually turns her back on me and wont acknowledge me its the only time she does ignore me and boy does she hold a grudge Smile. I just didn't want to get to the situation when I tell her to get down or not allow her to get up and she growls or snaps at us. How is best to tell her to get down im guessing just a firm command. I will have a word with the hubby im not certain if he actually watches her or just lets her out and closes the door.
janfrost489
janfrost489

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by janfrost489 Sun Sep 22 2013, 11:24

Its not always practical for her to sit on me ie when I have my uniform on or smart clothes on for a meeting etc
janfrost489
janfrost489

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by jo garnett Sun Sep 22 2013, 11:30

Chloe still does a little tiddle when we come home - we dash in and run straight into the garden with them - I'm sure it's just because they're very young + very excited Big Grin 
jo garnett
jo garnett

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Lola and Chloe
Dog(s) Ages : both 3 years
Dog Gender(s) : Both female
Support total : 86

Back to top Go down

Post by janfrost489 Sun Sep 22 2013, 11:35

I cant even let her out of her crate in the morning now if I do we have to wash all her bedding and she has 4 fleeces and a cushion now to keep her warm at night. Is there a rough age where they are likely to have full bladder control I have no idea how so much wee can come from something so small shes not even a big drinker lol
janfrost489
janfrost489

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by stella Sun Sep 22 2013, 19:01

she will grow out of it,they are masters at giving us the sad eye treatment Rolling Eyes ,even now when sash knows its time for me to go to work she looks sad,i just tell her i wont be long and dont look at her as i leave Sad 
stella
stella
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Female
Dog(s) Ages : 15years RIP
Support total : 1747

Back to top Go down

Post by janfrost489 Sun Sep 22 2013, 19:08

I don't know what is going on with her the last couple of days she has been so naughty not listening and taking no notice of commands she even went to nip me this afternoon because I wouldn't let her jump all over me Sad it seems to be like taking two steps forward and 3 back and its harder because she is getting bigger its like she's trying to say I will do what I like when I like
janfrost489
janfrost489

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by stella Sun Sep 22 2013, 19:22

it some times feels like that,is she teething at the mo?

stella
stella

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by janfrost489 Sun Sep 22 2013, 19:34

Yep she has lost and gained her front teeth and is now losing her back ones I found one on the floor the other day
janfrost489
janfrost489

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by stella Sun Sep 22 2013, 19:41

could be why she is being a bit naughty the last few days and not listening,try putting some carrots in the freezer and let her chew on them,great to cool her gums,make sure she has things to chew on Smile 
stella
stella

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by janfrost489 Sun Sep 22 2013, 19:46

Shes got lots of chewy toys and ropes but she seems to like tree branches and my wooden garden furniture more. I do give her carrots but not frozen will give them a try. I did try a damp cloth frozen and her kong toy frozen but she wasnt very interested
janfrost489
janfrost489

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by stella Sun Sep 22 2013, 19:53

i'm sure when she has finished teething she will be a lot better,great you found one of her teeth Big Grin 
stella
stella

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by janfrost489 Sun Sep 22 2013, 19:56

I know it was like finding the kids teeth when they were small ive tucked it away safely Smile
janfrost489
janfrost489

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down