Emery board for dogs nails?

5 posters

Go down

Emery board for dogs nails? Empty Emery board for dogs nails?

Post by Louise C Thu Apr 21 2011, 13:13

I was in my local bric a brac store the other day and seen a battery operated emery board type thing for dogs nails and wondered if any one has tried it or something like it. Lola's front paw nails are quite long as she only really goes on fields. I wouldn't trust myself to cut them and don't want to pay extortionate prices, although having said that I havn't actually prices it up yet. Would I go to the vets or maybe a grommer? Any ideas would be great, apart from walking on roads as we have tried this and I much prefer her to run free in the fields than walk along roads.
Thanks in advance Smile
Louise C
Louise C
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Lola
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 3

Back to top Go down

Emery board for dogs nails? Empty Re: Emery board for dogs nails?

Post by Guest Thu Apr 21 2011, 13:15

I bought one of these for Dempsey, but I jyst couldn't get him used to it. He hates his claws clipping etc. He has to visit the vets soon to be microchipped & I'm going to ask them to do his claws while he's under!

Back to top Go down

Post by Louise C Thu Apr 21 2011, 13:28

Well it's only £2.99 so I may try it, haha wish me luck.
Louise C
Louise C

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 21 2011, 14:04

I have seen something similar over here for sale..a battery operated thingo that rotates with an emery on it.
My last doggie hated his claws done, so when Jethro was a puppy I started playing with his nails and trimming them... he doesn't mind me doing them at all but as a puppy he was so ticklish about his feet!

Back to top Go down

Post by Nosipho Thu Apr 21 2011, 14:18

Caryll wrote:I bought one of these for Dempsey, but I jyst couldn't get him used to it. He hates his claws clipping etc. He has to visit the vets soon to be microchipped & I'm going to ask them to do his claws while he's under!

Your getting him knocked out for a microchip?! Does he really hate the vets that much?
Nosipho
Nosipho

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Skibadee, Tali, Kali-Mist, Nugget and Meg
Dog(s) Ages : 25/8/2005 - 01/10/2008 - 01/08/2012 - 23/10/2013992
Dog Gender(s) : All Girlies
Support total : 191

http://www.nosiphostaffords.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 21 2011, 14:28

Caryll wrote:I bought one of these for Dempsey, but I jyst couldn't get him used to it. He hates his claws clipping etc. He has to visit the vets soon to be microchipped & I'm going to ask them to do his claws while he's under!

he's getting knocked out for microchipping surely thats a risk they are not willing to take for a thirty second minor thing, I bet he wont even feel it Taz didn't, of coruse the nail clipping he will have to get knocked out for.

Back to top Go down

Post by Staffy Sat Apr 23 2011, 09:22

MissRogue wrote:

he's getting knocked out for microchipping surely thats a risk they are not willing to take for a thirty second minor thing, I bet he wont even feel it Taz didn't, of coruse the nail clipping he will have to get knocked out for.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong here but I think the longer you leave it till you get your dog chipped the more it hurts them.This might be why Dempsey is being put under.

I Think that pups don't find it as bad because their skin is soft and they have less muscle and also the needle does not need to go as far.
Staffy
Staffy
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Emery board for dogs nails? Top_ra10

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Tilly.
Dog Gender(s) : Female.
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 23 2011, 09:35

MissRogue wrote:

It's because he has to be muzzled just for his annual vaccinations, and the microchip needle is bigger. I don't want to distress him by having to not only muzzle him but restrain him forcibly. The anaesthetic won't be much & he'll only 'just' be under, so there's little risk. We know he isn't allergic to anaesthetic because he had an operation last year for bloat. The amount used will be a fraction of what would be used if we got him castrated, but you wouldn't (didn't) think twice about that.

Back to top Go down

Post by Staffy Sat Apr 23 2011, 09:59

Caryll wrote:
MissRogue wrote:

It's because he has to be muzzled just for his annual vaccinations, and the microchip needle is bigger. I don't want to distress him by having to not only muzzle him but restrain him forcibly. The anaesthetic won't be much & he'll only 'just' be under, so there's little risk. We know he isn't allergic to anaesthetic because he had an operation last year for bloat. The amount used will be a fraction of what would be used if we got him castrated, but you wouldn't (didn't) think twice about that.

Hope all goes well.
Staffy
Staffy
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Emery board for dogs nails? Top_ra10

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Tilly.
Dog Gender(s) : Female.
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Sat Apr 23 2011, 10:15

Poor Dempsy, I didn't realise it was that bad Caryll, bless his heart, all the best for his chipping Big Grin Oh and emory boards, I haven't ever had Moos done, I do a lot of road walking with her which keeps them short, so no worries there Smile
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 23 2011, 11:47

i bought one ov the battery things and memphis goes bollistic when he hears it so that was a waste ov spondoliks lol

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 23 2011, 12:54

Never used it but luckly my lot when i walk across country side there is here there and everywhere so its very rarely they need their nails done but if they do i just use clippers.

Back to top Go down

Post by Aniemother Sat Apr 23 2011, 13:37

I plan to teach puppy to have his nails dremeled - this site is great for a step-by-step instruction http://homepages.udayton.edu/~jmerenski1/doberdawn/dremel/dremel.html They could probably be used as inspiration for training other kinds of pawdicure treatments, too.
Aniemother
Aniemother

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Gaffa (SBT), Strips (BC) and Terex (AK)
Support total : 22

http://wrigglebutts.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Louise C Sat Apr 23 2011, 18:26

bigwazza wrote:i bought one ov the battery things and memphis goes bollistic when he hears it so that was a waste ov spondoliks lol

Yup waste of money.

In theory it's a great idea and I managed one nail Laughing before she was havng an eppy and I thought It would be rather nice to keep all my fingers Laughing so put it back in the box.

Anoher lsson learnt, pay the extra and have them done by someone that doesn't mind maye losing a limb Laughing
Louise C
Louise C

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 23 2011, 20:14

While my lot are asleep on the settee they are used to me massaging them from rubbing their ears to squeezing their paws to poking and rubbing muscles (they love it they all do that gruff breathing thing) so i do the clipping while their asleep and other things like cleaning their ears, brushing their teeth only had to do that with cassie because she had her pup canine stuck behind her adult canine so i was massaging her gums to losen it, it worked too. and cleaning Blondy Genitals which i am still having to do daily Sad

Back to top Go down

Post by Louise C Wed May 04 2011, 08:40

Yay found a groomer just by me and Lola's having her nails clipped today and only £5.00 so a bargain.
Louise C
Louise C

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Nosipho Wed May 04 2011, 10:50

Poor Dempsey! Bless him I wouldnt like a strange man forcibly holding me down and prodding me with needles either. Mind you I wouldnt like a bull terrier running into my legs at 30Kg and 15mph either!

Nosipho
Nosipho

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Skibadee, Tali, Kali-Mist, Nugget and Meg
Dog(s) Ages : 25/8/2005 - 01/10/2008 - 01/08/2012 - 23/10/2013992
Dog Gender(s) : All Girlies
Support total : 191

http://www.nosiphostaffords.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down