Leaving Pebbles alone in the crate when i go to work

2 posters

Go down

Leaving Pebbles alone in the crate when i go to work Empty Leaving Pebbles alone in the crate when i go to work

Post by Pebbles Mon Sep 02 2013, 22:09

She has been with us since saturday and seems to have settled in well. She has taken to her crate very well, she goes there by herself when she wants a little nap in her comfy bed.
The crate is left open during the day so she can wander in the kitchen and go out in the garden.
At night we move the crate to the landing and close it. She sleeps fairly well with minimum whining. Smile 

But....i will be at work on thursday and friday, i only work 2 days for 5 h a day. So i will leave at about 9.45am and my mum-in-law will come over at 12 to feed Pebbles and let her out of the crate for an hour.
Then she will be back in the crate until 3.30 when i get in.

I am so worried about it. Sad 
Even with mum in law's help Pebbles will be in the crate for two stretches of 2 hours or so.
What can i do to help her cope with this? Any advice? Should i leave the radio on for her?

Thanks.

Pebbles
Pebbles
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Pebbles
Dog(s) Ages : 20 weeks
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 6

Back to top Go down

Leaving Pebbles alone in the crate when i go to work Empty Re: Leaving Pebbles alone in the crate when i go to work

Post by lesley1802 Mon Sep 02 2013, 22:14

I have left cooper for 2 hours and the first time left a camera recording to make sure he was ok, try starting half an hour and leave the house, then do an hour, then test two hours, that way it won't be a shock when you leave.

Good luck Smile
lesley1802
lesley1802
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Cooper
Dog(s) Ages : 24th April 2013
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 10

Back to top Go down

Leaving Pebbles alone in the crate when i go to work Empty Re: Leaving Pebbles alone in the crate when i go to work

Post by Pebbles Mon Sep 02 2013, 22:24

Thanks, sounds like something i can give a go to tomorrow.

It's worrying me because all the stuff I have read about leaving the puppy for 5 minutes, then 10 minutes, then 15,...etc.
Also she seems so content with her crate at the moment that i don't want to undo this by making her hate the crate by being left alone for too long too soon.
But that said I have no choice because it's to go to work.
Pebbles
Pebbles

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by lesley1802 Mon Sep 02 2013, 22:44

Cooper loves his crate, I think there are a lot of horror stories out there that give pain but you know your pup and I they like the crate and you're not leaving them for Long then I don't see a problem. Cooper has slept from 11pm to 10am since 9 weeks, he sometimes gets up and has Brekkie then goes straight back in lol!

It sounds like you've given it a lot of thought so stop worrying Smile
lesley1802
lesley1802

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Cooper
Dog(s) Ages : 24th April 2013
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 10

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Sep 02 2013, 22:57

Its not advisable to move the crate at night or at all. If she whines just let her whine, she will stop eventually.

As for leaving her in it for work, that is fine. As long as she gets some exercise before hand, then a bit of time to chill out before crating she should settle into the routine fine. just make sure your mum does the same routine of play/feed and chill out time. putting a hyper dog into a crate is a recipe for disaster.

Back to top Go down

Post by Pebbles Mon Sep 02 2013, 23:13

I will make sure mum in law knows what to do during her hour.

Why is it a bad thing to move the crate upstairs at night?
Sorry I'm just new to puppy owning and a bit clueless, which is why I'm relying on books and this forum.

The reason we move her on the landing is that eventually when she is older and can be trusted we want to get rid of the carte and just keep two beds, one for the kitchen during the day and one for upstairs so she can sleep there at night.
If we leave her in the kitchen at night we won't hear her whining for her pees during the night and she might soil her bed.
Pebbles
Pebbles

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down