My dog gets really overexcited when we have visitors

+2
reuben
John C
6 posters

Go down

My dog gets really overexcited when we have visitors Empty My dog gets really overexcited when we have visitors

Post by John C Mon Sep 02 2013, 01:53

We have a 9 month old pup called Vinnie. He is great fun and so far has been pretty easy to train but every time we have visitors he goes completely insane. Used to be with both dogs and humans although we had a major breakthrough this weekend when he all of a sudden decided that he was cool with my girlfriends Jack Russell 'Jake' and we were able to let them both be in the same room together without Vinnie bouncing off the walls. They even ended up eating from the same bowl at the same time which was totally unthinkable 4 days ago.
Still no further forward with regard to him meeting people though. Every time he hears the doorbell he just goes hyper and we have to lock him in his cage for safety. We used to try and keep him in another room but he's now expert at operating door handles and he just lets himself out and in wherever he pleases. Smart dogs Staffys..... We've tried keeping him on a lead in the same room as our guests to see if he will eventually calm down but he just continues howling, whimpering, peeing and choking himself for hours on end. It's a real shame as he just wants to be friendly. Please!!!! Anyone any ideas on what I should do.

John C
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Divorced
Dogs Name(s) : Vinnie
Dog(s) Ages : 9 Months
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

My dog gets really overexcited when we have visitors Empty Re: My dog gets really overexcited when we have visitors

Post by Guest Mon Sep 02 2013, 08:37

Hiya from me and another Vinnie. Why don't you come and introduce yourself here.

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com/f7-new-member-introductions.
Can you perhaps give your visitors some tasty treats to give to Vinnie, so he is focused on that rather than jumping. My Vinnie is also a jumper but has calmed down with the treat method considerably.Smile 

Back to top Go down

My dog gets really overexcited when we have visitors Empty Re: My dog gets really overexcited when we have visitors

Post by Guest Mon Sep 02 2013, 08:58

It's best to ask your visitors to ignore vinnie until he calms down, then praise him when he does, we do this with darcy Smile please don't use his crate to keep him away as this should be his haven & safe place. Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by reuben Mon Sep 02 2013, 10:07

Bacchus is 13 months and still gets excited ( but enthusiastic rather than crazy ) when people visit. It just makes his day as he loves meeting people, even strangers outside. It's in the Staffy nature to be gregarious and sociable, but just be sure to work on the advice above as some people strongly object to being leapt on, especially in their Sunday best.Laughing Laughing Laughing 
reuben
reuben
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Bacchus ( The Wee Man )
Dog(s) Ages : Born 18/07/12
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 166

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Sep 02 2013, 21:13

Is he a bit hyper all the time & just gets worse when you have visitors? If so, you might need to change his food - what do you give him right now? You'll be surprised how many behavioural 'problems' can be helped by changing food!

Back to top Go down

Post by nicolene Iveson Tue Sep 03 2013, 05:02

The treat method works really well for Tip. We also use the sit command when she gets too jumpy, when she sits she get a pat and a treat.
nicolene Iveson
nicolene Iveson
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In an open relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Tip
Dog(s) Ages : six weeks old
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 36

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria90 Wed Sep 04 2013, 12:08

Rocky was the same also but when we had visitors we would ask them to tell him down and sit followed my praise or treat and it worked wonders! He is now a good boy and sits straight away for a hello!
Maria90
Maria90

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 10 months (09.01.2013)
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 453

Back to top Go down

Post by Kell Wed Sep 04 2013, 13:15

Chiquito is loves visitors ... so much so that he literally tries to jump/lick/love them to death the moment they open the door.

He is getting calmer - by no means though are we at a point where full calm has been achieved, so please don't feel alone in having a dog with this behaviour. Choose the way you are going to deal with the behaviour (great ideas above!) and be 100% consistent with it - time, patience and consistency really are the key Smile
Kell
Kell

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Chiquito and Sheba
Dog(s) Ages : 21/01/2013 and 13/05/2012
Dog Gender(s) : Male and Female
Support total : 304

Back to top Go down

Post by BIG SBT Wed Sep 04 2013, 17:51

Boss jumps all over people when they come to my house also but hes just saying hello and its so embarrassing if they don't like dogs :/ BUT.. after he has said hello and licked them half to death he calms down and goes for a sleep haha. sometimes the best thing to do is bring somebody round on a regular basis so that its not a rare/treat to meet people, he should grow out of it? that's the way im hoping it works out for myself too lol. good luck!
BIG SBT
BIG SBT
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
My dog gets really overexcited when we have visitors Top_ra10

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Boss
Dog(s) Ages : 9 months
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 19

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down