Growls when shouted at or being picked up off the couch

+2
Kell
maddyharvey
6 posters

Go down

Growls when shouted at or being picked up off the couch Empty Growls when shouted at or being picked up off the couch

Post by maddyharvey Tue Jul 30 2013, 09:18

hi

our puppy Maddy is a girl of 12 weeks, she is very good most of the time but yesterday my mom shouted at her for messing all her potpouri and she turned and growled at her.... also she sometimes growls when u go to pick her up off the couch to put her in her basket to sleep.... and she nipped my son on his ear so he smacked her cos he got a fright and she growled at him and refused to get off the couch when he spoke.....

am i just being neurotic and if not what can i do

thanks

kim

maddyharvey
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Growls when shouted at or being picked up off the couch Empty Re: Growls when shouted at or being picked up off the couch

Post by Kell Tue Jul 30 2013, 09:22

Hi and welcome to the forum from Chiquito and I Smile

Why don't you come over and introduce yourself ... https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com/f7-new-member-introductions
Kell
Kell
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Chiquito and Sheba
Dog(s) Ages : 21/01/2013 and 13/05/2012
Dog Gender(s) : Male and Female
Support total : 304

Back to top Go down

Growls when shouted at or being picked up off the couch Empty Re: Growls when shouted at or being picked up off the couch

Post by Kell Tue Jul 30 2013, 09:26

You are not neurotic at all ... growling and nipping are all part of having a staffy pup Smile

First of all, be assured that this is normal - we've all been there! Also, keep in mind that growling and nipping in a pup of her age is not aggression ... it is similar to a toddler having a little tantrum and saying 'I don't want to!!'

In regards to the nipping have a look at this link http://staffy-bull-terrier.com/stop_your_staffy_puppy_biting

In regards to the growling, the response is similar to that in the link above - a firm 'no' when it happens, ignore and time out if needed.

Being calm and patient are also important - it takes time but it will get better Smile
Kell
Kell

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Chiquito and Sheba
Dog(s) Ages : 21/01/2013 and 13/05/2012
Dog Gender(s) : Male and Female
Support total : 304

Back to top Go down

Post by Jackieb Tue Jul 30 2013, 09:27

She sounds like a cheeky lil minx !
All pups need boundaries, but its a learning process for them, so it's not gonna happen overnight !
Use clear consistent commands, soon as she gets on the sofa, pick her up and place her on the floor using the 'off' command.
If she goes to jump up again, push her gently away using the command.
She will get it eventually !

The nipping is all part of being a pup, a short sharp yelp or loud 'ouch' will help her understand not to do it.

Stay consistent, and its prolly a good idea to remove the pot poori for now as its just far to interesting for a pup to explore.

At this age, a pup will growl, bark, nip - they aren't being aggressive or nasty - it's their way of figuring out what is and isn't allowed.
Your and everyone in ur household need to be consistent and assertive...react immediately when pup does something she shouldn't.

These first few weeks are a bit of a nightmare but u will be rewarded with a well balanced pup at the end of it x
Jackieb
Jackieb
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Diesel & Tank
Dog(s) Ages : Diesel - May 2011. Tank - March 2012
Dog Gender(s) : Girl & Boy
Support total : 245

Back to top Go down

Post by _Jason_ Tue Jul 30 2013, 09:33

PLEASE DONT SMACK YOUR DOG IT WIL GET YOU NO WHERE, i hate kids nere dogs/ my dogs they cant be trusted (some kids)
_Jason_
_Jason_

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Max
Dog(s) Ages : July 4th
Dog Gender(s) : boy
Support total : 70

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 30 2013, 10:09

This is pure dominance and testing you. Don't allow it, and put your pup out of the room any time she growls.

Teach your son that it is never okay to lift a hand to anything, because some day he will get a reaction!

Welcome to the forum.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 30 2013, 12:02

Broxi wrote:PLEASE DONT SMACK YOUR DOG IT WIL GET YOU NO WHERE, i hate kids nere dogs/ my dogs they cant be trusted (some kids)

I don't think the op smacked the pup - it was the son. As we don't know how old the son is, we can't say how this happened!Smile 

Everything a dog does is a 'behaviour' and is a totally natural & instinctive thing for your dog to do - neither right nor wrong. What we have to do is teach our dogs what is acceptable 'behaviour' where humans are concerned. The best way to do this is with patience & perseverence.

How old is your son?

Back to top Go down

Post by CaraElizabeth Wed Jul 31 2013, 03:16

All of these things are totally normal behaviors for a 12 week old staffy pup. It seems you think your pup is trying to misbehave..but really she doesn't know that this is unacceptable behavior! Pups use their mouths to explore and nipping/growling is how they play! It will take time for her to learn that this is not how to play! Smacking or yelling at her will not stop this behavior and will either get her more excited or cause her to fear you and be very confused.

When she nips/growls say a firm "No" (just firm don't yell) and turn your back and ignore her. If she continues calmly and quickly (without saying anything) pick her up and place her in another room. This room must be puppy proof obviously. A laundry room or bathroom works well. Leave her in there for a minute or two for a time out. When you let her out if she has stopped give her calm quiet praise, you don't want to get her into crazy play mode again. If she still continues do the whole process over again. You and everyone in your house must be consistent and do this each and every time. If you do she will soon learn that nipping means play ends and it will start to improve. It will take time, lots of repetition and even more patience! Good luck!
CaraElizabeth
CaraElizabeth

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Gwen
Dog(s) Ages : 12/22/2012
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 145

Back to top Go down

Post by lesley1802 Wed Jul 31 2013, 09:43

Sometimes, when Cooper is naughty (often), and I forget not to shout at him, he does this growly thing followed by (what he calls) a bark (but sounds more like he's on helium!) but I have come to realise that he is just playing - he hunkers down on his front and the bum goes up, tail wagging, he thinks its playtime Smile So I ignore and give him a toy when he is doing something I don't want him to.

I agree with time outs - in a boring room with nothing to do, and ouch and ignore for the biting - absolutely.

Hope it gets better soon - repetition, repetition, repetition Smile

lesley1802
lesley1802
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Cooper
Dog(s) Ages : 24th April 2013
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 10

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down