Day 4, more growls :(

+2
Kell
Sera
6 posters

Go down

Day 4, more growls :(  Empty Day 4, more growls :(

Post by Sera Mon May 06 2013, 09:41

I was kinda hopeful yesterday. And really appreciated everyone's advice, which I've been taking Smile. However, the growling seems to be getting worse. I can't even touch his belly now without deep growls. Firm "Dont's," were working. But, now not much so. Then he actually tried to bite me about an hour ago (not puppy nips) he meant it. Also been trying to teach him lye down, but he also growls if I touch his front paws now.

I'm at a bit of a loss, to be honest. I love him dearly & I so want him to be a well behaved animal. Especially seeing I have children (ages 7 & above). Although I'd never leave my children alone with Nitro, it would've nice to think that he is loving to begin with.

I think I'm going to make a trip to the vets, before the second jabs. I need to know its not me Sad. I've never heard growling like this in a puppy. I'd be so heartbroken if there's something wrong with him. Sad
Sera
Sera
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Nitro
Dog(s) Ages : 8 weeks
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 5

Back to top Go down

Day 4, more growls :(  Empty Re: Day 4, more growls :(

Post by Guest Mon May 06 2013, 09:51

Ohh he sounds like a cranky toddler, be patient and consistent, it won't happen overnight but it will get better.. Honestly don't be afraid of him, he is very young and pups that young don't have aggression.. It really is just tantrums Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon May 06 2013, 09:53

It sounds like normal behaviour to me and nothing to be overly alarmed about. It is always a good idea to make sure that thre isn't a physical cause for the behaviour.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sera Mon May 06 2013, 09:56

Kylie wrote:Ohh he sounds like a cranky toddler, be patient and consistent, it won't happen overnight but it will get better.. Honestly don't be afraid of him, he is very young and pups that young don't have aggression.. It really is just tantrums Big Grin

Thanks Kylie. I just contacted the breeder (she's lovely). And she said he's trying to be top dog, to be firm & gentle too. Which I'm doing... Just panicking because I never experienced this with my Bull Mastiff. Or seen it in a pup before. Really really glad I joined this forum. Smile
Sera
Sera

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon May 06 2013, 09:57

Relax, relax! It doesn't get better in one day, and the bites are NOT aggressive. Yeah, the bite may have been an act of defiance or grumpiness, but it's the puppy equivalent of a tantrum, but tantrums aren't a sign of violence or anything, so he's still just being a puppy and it wasn't a 'proper' bite. I had months of biting with Loki, I have scars on my arm from all the biting he did (mostly playing, but I suppose some was a bit of stubbornness). Those puppy teeth are sharp. Honestly, I had ages of that with Loki and I remember being in tears thinking there's no way it'll ever get better. But he doesn't bite anymore at all (except when he's so excited he forgets his manners). Some learn quicker than others. Nitro may learn quickly, he may take a few months like Loki, but with patience and consistency, he WILL learn. They all do given the right training. He'll get better, really Smile one day you'll suddenly realise he hasn't bitten you in a day, then a week, and etc.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon May 06 2013, 09:59

And they are loving, but they're puppies, all they want to do is explore, play, eat and sleep. I couldn't sit next to Loki without it turning into a game of tug-of-war with my limbs or my clothes, but when he got older he calmed down a bit more, and he learnt that affection and relaxing is very nice. He'll learn, don't expect so much of him so soon, they're hyperactive lunatic babies, but they calm a bit and learn to chill out Smile try to focus on the good points.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sera Mon May 06 2013, 10:02

Tara wrote:Relax, relax! It doesn't get better in one day, and the bites are NOT aggressive. Yeah, the bite may have been an act of defiance or grumpiness, but it's the puppy equivalent of a tantrum, but tantrums aren't a sign of violence or anything, so he's still just being a puppy and it wasn't a 'proper' bite. I had months of biting with Loki, I have scars on my arm from all the biting he did (mostly playing, but I suppose some was a bit of stubbornness). Those puppy teeth are sharp. Honestly, I had ages of that with Loki and I remember being in tears thinking there's no way it'll ever get better. But he doesn't bite anymore at all (except when he's so excited he forgets his manners). Some learn quicker than others. Nitro may learn quickly, he may take a few months like Loki, but with patience and consistency, he WILL learn. They all do given the right training. He'll get better, really Smile one day you'll suddenly realise he hasn't bitten you in a day, then a week, and etc.

Taking deep breaths! Lol. Thank you so much, everyone's advice here is very very very appreciated. not worthy I'm just being a worry wart, I know. And no one (apart from the breeder) has Staffy's that I know. So this place is a Gods send.

Feel like a new Mum lol! Straight Face
Sera
Sera

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sera Mon May 06 2013, 10:05

Tara wrote:And they are loving, but they're puppies, all they want to do is explore, play, eat and sleep. I couldn't sit next to Loki without it turning into a game of tug-of-war with my limbs or my clothes, but when he got older he calmed down a bit more, and he learnt that affection and relaxing is very nice. He'll learn, don't expect so much of him so soon, they're hyperactive lunatic babies, but they calm a bit and learn to chill out Smile try to focus on the good points.

Thanks Tara Smile. Will do. Hopefully soon I will be writing how things have improved. & helping someone else with the Puppy blues lol! Smile
Sera
Sera

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon May 06 2013, 10:09

Aww hugs Sarah >Big Grin< it does get easier, as Tara said I too remember crying thinking OMG will it ever end Laughing but it does, time & patience and he'll soon learn your the boss Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sera Mon May 06 2013, 10:16

Darcy-may wrote:Aww hugs Sarah >Big Grin< it does get easier, as Tara said I too remember crying thinking OMG will it ever end Laughing but it does, time & patience and he'll soon learn your the boss Big Grin

I needed them hugs lol! Can't wait for those days when I'll be saying the same to someone else lol! >Big Grin<
Sera
Sera

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Kell Mon May 06 2013, 10:36

Chin up Sera - it sounds like you are doing a lovely job >Big Grin<

Chiquito's little growls got worse before they got better and we had our fair share of snarls and nips ..... like a toddler I think he had to just see how far he could go and see if I would give in when he did it!

Keep up with the responses you are using - it feels like it takes forever but in no time you will be on here looking back on this post with a little chuckle as you tell us about how wonderfully he behaves Smile
Kell
Kell
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Chiquito and Sheba
Dog(s) Ages : 21/01/2013 and 13/05/2012
Dog Gender(s) : Male and Female
Support total : 304

Back to top Go down

Post by Sera Mon May 06 2013, 10:55

Kell wrote:Chin up Sera - it sounds like you are doing a lovely job >Big Grin<

Chiquito's little growls got worse before they got better and we had our fair share of snarls and nips ..... like a toddler I think he had to just see how far he could go and see if I would give in when he did it!

Keep up with the responses you are using - it feels like it takes forever but in no time you will be on here looking back on this post with a little chuckle as you tell us about how wonderfully he behaves Smile

I feel better already Big Grin. thumbs up
Sera
Sera

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by otisthestafford Mon May 06 2013, 11:18

Keep going it will get easier, remain firm and consistent with training then one day it will just click and it will improve. Keep us updated and don't feel put out >Big Grin<
otisthestafford
otisthestafford

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Engaged
Dogs Name(s) : Otis
Dog(s) Ages : 22.09.2012
Support total : 294

Back to top Go down

Post by Sera Mon May 06 2013, 11:33

otisthestafford wrote:Keep going it will get easier, remain firm and consistent with training then one day it will just click and it will improve. Keep us updated and don't feel put out >Big Grin<

Awe thanks Smile. I'm sure it will, it's been very reassuring having you all to talk to Big Grin.
Sera
Sera

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon May 06 2013, 11:57

Can't say much more than what everybody else has told you, but keep up the work! Smile It'll pay off in the end. I think it's a good idea to mention it to the vet, just in case there is an issue with his health, but it's most likely something he'll grow out of with training.

Our dog, Dempsey, was an absolute nightmare for tantrums when he was young. If he was told off or physically removed from an area (picking him up off the sofa and putting him on the floor, for example) for being naughty, he'd make this horrid growl that sounded just like a big cat screeching. Laughing Once we got into a routine of being firm and consistent with him, he calmed down. Now, when he's told off, he goes all silly and wags his tail instead. Tongues

Back to top Go down

Post by Sera Mon May 06 2013, 12:12

Eleanor wrote:Can't say much more than what everybody else has told you, but keep up the work! Smile It'll pay off in the end. I think it's a good idea to mention it to the vet, just in case there is an issue with his health, but it's most likely something he'll grow out of with training.

Our dog, Dempsey, was an absolute nightmare for tantrums when he was young. If he was told off or physically removed from an area (picking him up off the sofa and putting him on the floor, for example) for being naughty, he'd make this horrid growl that sounded just like a big cat screeching. Laughing Once we got into a routine of being firm and consistent with him, he calmed down. Now, when he's told off, he goes all silly and wags his tail instead. Tongues

Sounds very familiar. Expect Nitros growls sound deep like a big dogs lol! He's so good in all other ways, and follows me around like a sheep ha! With lots of training, and you guys here to talk to... I CAN get through this Big Grin.

Thank you very kindly Smile.
Sera
Sera

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon May 06 2013, 12:14

Love the attitude! Smile It's nice to see somebody willing to work through problems like this. Smile If you ever need some advice, there are plenty of people here to help out >Big Grin<

Back to top Go down

Post by Jackieb Mon May 06 2013, 12:22

Tank was a growler when we got him. He hated his neck being touched and would snap and growl. It took a good 2-3 wks before he accepted being petted on his neck/chin. (Tank was beaten up by litter mates as a small pup - head, neck covered in bites etc)
Persevere, a firm bellowing 'NO' when he protests - rewards and snuggles when he's accepting. Won't be long before he won't wanna be too far awày from those belly rubs ! The first 4-6 wks are IMO the worst lol x
Jackieb
Jackieb
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Diesel & Tank
Dog(s) Ages : Diesel - May 2011. Tank - March 2012
Dog Gender(s) : Girl & Boy
Support total : 245

Back to top Go down

Post by Sera Mon May 06 2013, 15:11

Eleanor wrote:Love the attitude! Smile It's nice to see somebody willing to work through problems like this. Smile If you ever need some advice, there are plenty of people here to help out >Big Grin<

thumbs up thumbs up

applause
Sera
Sera

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sera Mon May 06 2013, 15:14

Jackieb wrote:Tank was a growler when we got him. He hated his neck being touched and would snap and growl. It took a good 2-3 wks before he accepted being petted on his neck/chin. (Tank was beaten up by litter mates as a small pup - head, neck covered in bites etc)
Persevere, a firm bellowing 'NO' when he protests - rewards and snuggles when he's accepting. Won't be long before he won't wanna be too far awày from those belly rubs ! The first 4-6 wks are IMO the worst lol x

Actually Nitro was the second smallest of the litter, so maybe he's displaying the same traits- because of that. confused

Hadn't really thought of that before. Good point there! Smile
Sera
Sera

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon May 06 2013, 15:32

As Eleanor says, Dempsey was a complete nightmare! Anything he didn't like would turn him into a tiger!

But consistency won out in the end & he's quite a sweetie now - unless you happen to be a cat!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sera Mon May 06 2013, 15:36

Caryll wrote:As Eleanor says, Dempsey was a complete nightmare! Anything he didn't like would turn him into a tiger!

But consistency won out in the end & he's quite a sweetie now - unless you happen to be a cat!

Lol! Well that's good to hear thumbs up. There's hope yet Big Grin.
Sera
Sera

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Hugo_Boss Mon May 06 2013, 15:55

Big Grin

When I first got Hugo it was a nightmare, was a constant pain in the backside though the only thing you can do is be patient and consistent.

Trust me it WILL get better but not for a while, Hugo is just turning 1 soon and it's only been a few months he actually behaves fully.

Funny enough I said to my partner yesterday that I miss him being a little terror.

When he was bad I must of spent hours, hours and hours on here, google and YouTube (all of which he was snapping on my toes) on how to train him, though the one thing I know now and not then is TIME.

One thing I will say is cherish this as you may like me one day miss it all.
Hugo_Boss
Hugo_Boss
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Hugo
Dog(s) Ages : 7 months
Support total : 12

Back to top Go down

Post by Sera Mon May 06 2013, 16:06

Hugo_Boss wrote:Big Grin

When I first got Hugo it was a nightmare, was a constant pain in the backside though the only thing you can do is be patient and consistent.

Trust me it WILL get better but not for a while, Hugo is just turning 1 soon and it's only been a few months he actually behaves fully.

Funny enough I said to my partner yesterday that I miss him being a little terror.

When he was bad I must of spent hours, hours and hours on here, google and YouTube (all of which he was snapping on my toes) on how to train him, though the one thing I know now and not then is TIME.

One thing I will say is cherish this as you may like me one day miss it all.

He's actually been a joy all afternoon lol! Must of read me complaining or summit haha! Yes, I will try to enjoy these puppy days. I know they're short lived. I was just being a worry wart, but feel much better after chatting to everyone here Big Grin.
Sera
Sera

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon May 06 2013, 17:53

Glad he's been a good boy this afternoon. My Vinny was the same at that age - pure strop if you wanted him to do anything other than what he was doing. Luckily he wasn't nippy but he was a growler. Consistency with firm "no's" paid off in the end. Lots of luck >Big Grin<

Back to top Go down

Post by CaraElizabeth Wed May 08 2013, 02:34

You have a great attitude!! But you are expecting too much of him at his age! Like i said before, it is NOT going to improve in one or two days!! There is no quick fix for this problem, he is just a typical pup! It will get worse before it gets better! Gwen is 5 months old and she is much better with the nipping and growling but she still has her moments! She is now teething which is a whole new ballpark! She is grumpy and always needs to be chewing something but I feel bad for her it must be painful! You need to continue to be consistent with training and eventually it will improve! But this is def typical behavior for a staffy pup! I remember about a week after we got Gwen she started with the growling and biting and i was shocked! I too felt sometimes that it would never end and that she would always be like this, and i still do at times feel very frustrated and hopeless lol! But she has improved so much!!! And that is the best feeling ever! Enjoy him while hes a little pup, it goes so fast! It seems like just yesterday she was a 9 week old baby Sad
CaraElizabeth
CaraElizabeth

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Gwen
Dog(s) Ages : 12/22/2012
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 145

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 08 2013, 08:28

Just keep doing what your doing and sticking to your guns. I know it can be worrying when you have never heard or seen a pup showing these signs but like already said they are just been a pup. Keep us all informed on how you get on. As long as your patient and don't expect things to be perfect over night your gonna have a great companion thumbs up

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 08 2013, 09:43

Sounds like Nitro's just having a few grumpy days, keep working on him!

My pooch doesnt like his paws being touched either. I just use a firm 'NO' when he grumbles or growls at me and give him lots of treats and cuddles when he's being a good boy when you touch/stroke him.

Patience and consistency is the key Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down