4 year old (Thor) and kids.

3 posters

Go down

4 year old (Thor) and kids. Empty 4 year old (Thor) and kids.

Post by pcdktr Thu Jul 25 2013, 17:38

I rescued Thor from a home with no kids. There are no small children living in our house but we do have 4 small grandchildren. It is obvious he does not know what to do with kids. Whenever they comes over Thor runs to them and jumps on them. As you can imagine at 70 lbs he knocks them across the room. He is not aggressive but he head butts them and we are not sure what he is trying to do. He also knocked down a 10 year old child who walked into my office without my seeing him coming and cut his lip when he jumped on him. After a visit by the child to the Dr. office Thor is on day 8 of a 10 day quarintine because it was a "dog incident". Note to self: leave door locked even when in the office so no more surprises. We also put him on his lease when the children are here and are working on sit/stay when they come around. Just wondering if this behaviour is normal for Staffies and looking for any other suggestions you folks might have. Thanks.

pcdktr
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Thor
Dog(s) Ages : 4
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

4 year old (Thor) and kids. Empty Re: 4 year old (Thor) and kids.

Post by asa-james Thu Jul 25 2013, 20:06

the only help i can offer is to continue with the "sit" and "wait" training, and maybe try to get the kids involved a little. Lola can get a bit exciteable with one of the neighbours kids, as he runs if she approaches too fast, so she thinks its a game. i've since taught him to stand, hold his hand out and say "stop", at which point she slows down and calmly walks to his side. i'm not saying it'll work in every case, but could be worth a shot Smile
asa-james
asa-james
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Lola
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 117

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Thu Jul 25 2013, 20:20

Staffys are famous for being people dogs and are well know as being the Nanny dog, they love children.

Some Sit and Stay training would be beneficial for Thor I've no dougt he will pick it up in no time.
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 26 2013, 05:45

Darcy adores children the most out of any humans, if he's jumping up then your doing the right thing teaching him to sit/stay Smile if whilst training him he's only gets fuss when he's doing sit/stay then that'll help too, just ask people to wait to make a fuss of him when he's sitting not jumping Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down