Colitis / Hills ID food

4 posters

Go down

Sad Colitis / Hills ID food

Post by goldie87 Tue Jul 09 2013, 12:38

So ever since we've had Zeus, we've always had problems with trying to find the perfect food for him and he's never sat right with anything.

Over this year, he's had Colitis and it's flared up a number of times (giving him really bad poos, he stops eating and seems to be in pain). Last week, we took him to the vets again, and they said the Colitis came back and suggested we move him onto 'Hills i/d Canine Gastrointestinal Health' dog food, which comes in wet and dry (http://www.hillspet.com/products/pd-canine-id-canine-gastrointestinal-health-canned.html).

Has anyone ever used this? Or does anyone have any experience with Colitis and have any other suggestions on how we can improve this condition?
goldie87
goldie87
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Zeus
Dog(s) Ages : 9
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 164

Back to top Go down

Sad Re: Colitis / Hills ID food

Post by Guest Tue Jul 09 2013, 12:44

Aww poor Zeus Smile I hope he's feeling better soon, sorry I've no personal experience but I'm sure someone will pop along shortly who can help, I'm sure janeys Moo is on a hills diet but for her joints perhaps she can help. Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 09 2013, 12:47

I used it after Dempsey had his stomach operation and it was alright. It's a very bland food, so it's good for recovery, but in itself, it isn't a good food.

Have you thought about trying him on a raw diet?

Back to top Go down

Post by goldie87 Tue Jul 09 2013, 12:53

Caryll wrote:I used it after Dempsey had his stomach operation and it was alright. It's a very bland food, so it's good for recovery, but in itself, it isn't a good food.

Have you thought about trying him on a raw diet?

I did have a look at the ingredients and there's so much in there, so wasn't too sure about it. However, the vets have nothing but good things to say about this.

I did think about a raw diet, as I've read on here a number of times that it solved many tummy/digestion problems. I just don't know where to start, how much it would cost, etc.
goldie87
goldie87

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by goldie87 Tue Jul 09 2013, 14:15

Janey, I understand you feed Moo with Hills. What do you think of it?
goldie87
goldie87

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Tue Jul 09 2013, 14:25

Yes Moo is on the JD diet for her arthritis and I really rate it, she has a great coat and whether it was the food or a mixture of supplements she hasn't limped since last year, her poos are always firm, not huge and she has a vast amount of energy (as do all staffs lol) it is a little pricey but it works for us Smile
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by goldie87 Tue Jul 09 2013, 14:51

That's great, thanks. Think I'm going to try this as a last resort, if it doesn't sort his digestion/tummy problems out then my next step will be raw.
goldie87
goldie87

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by goldie87 Wed Jul 10 2013, 18:33

Just done some reading on Hills I/D and according to dogfoodanalysis.com, it states:

The main ingredient in this food is corn. Corn is a difficult to digest grain, which limits its nutritional value for dogs. We consider this to be a low quality ingredient. It is also commonly associated with allergy and skin problems. We prefer not to see this grain used in dog food. Corn appears on the ingredient list as corn gluten meal. This is the "dried residue from corn after the removal of the larger part of the starch and germ, and the separation of the bran by the process employed in the wet milling manufacture of corn starch or syrup, or by enzymatic treatment of the endosperm". In plain English, that which remains after all the nutritious bits have been removed. Brewers rice is a further low quality grain and by-product, as is egg product.
This food uses by-products as the sole meat-related ingredient. Chicken by-product meal - a very low quality ingredient. This is defined as "consisting of the ground, rendered, clean parts of the carcass of slaughtered chicken, such as necks, feet, undeveloped eggs and intestines, exclusive of feathers, except in such amounts as might occur unavoidable in good processing practice".
Soy fibre is further filler. We prefer not to see the use of any form of soy in dog food as this is an ingredient of low quality and commonly causing allergy problems.
We note also the use of chemical preservatives - ethoxyquin. This chemicals is banned from use in human food due to being carcinogenic.

The one that scares me the most is the mention of ethoxyquin and that its carcinogenic (can cause cancer).

Janey, or anyone else, what do you think? I'm really trying to find a decent food for Zeus which will help his digestive/tummy problems but everytime I find something, somethings wrong with the ingredients.
goldie87
goldie87

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Wed Jul 10 2013, 18:49

As I said not all favour it but it has worked for us Xxx
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Harry Halpin Thu Jul 11 2013, 13:38

We had a bad experience with colitis in our old boy Simba, please try NatureDiet this is a wet food not dry but completely cleared it up and he lived the rest of his long life on it with no problems whatsoever.
Harry Halpin
Harry Halpin
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Harry
Dog(s) Ages : 10 months
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by goldie87 Sat Jul 13 2013, 19:11

Thanks for your advice, Harry's mum. I've actually fed Naturediet as a mixer to Zeus in the past but not as a main meal. I've switched him onto Symply as I have met a number of people who said that when they switched their dogs onto Symply, they didn't have a flare up of Colitis. So fingers crossed, but Naturediet will be my next option!
goldie87
goldie87

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Harry Halpin Sun Jul 14 2013, 17:29

Good luck hope you get it sorted:) 
Harry Halpin
Harry Halpin

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Harry
Dog(s) Ages : 10 months

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jul 14 2013, 18:02

I've actually just had a conversation elsewhere over the hills ID food which was prescribed for a dog with colitis, and they dog is now very ill and it has basically made all his symptoms worse. Owner is furious and taking the whole lot back.

Not the first time it's happened either....

Back to top Go down

Post by wilf2812 Wed Sep 04 2013, 16:36

I've just been told by my vet to try Purina EN or HA for colitis. I have ordered it but not tried it yet as his poos seem to not be too bad at the moment but if he gets another bout, I will try just for 8 weeks as recommended to see if it works. Only trouble is, my dog also has allergies (lots of ear infections if he is given anything with cereals etc in) so am reluctant to use this food due to low level of goodness in it and corn but I also can't see him upset with colitis. My vet said these two and one Hills product are the only three that are truly hypoallergenic. Most other brands say they are but not. These brands are apparently the only ones that have years of research behind them. Has anyone used this?
wilf2812
wilf2812
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Benson-Blue
Dog(s) Ages : 9 months
Dog Gender(s) : male

Back to top Go down