Vibrating collar for separation anxiety

2 posters

Go down

Vibrating collar for separation anxiety  Empty Vibrating collar for separation anxiety

Post by Laura frize Tue Jun 18 2013, 14:15

someone has told me about a collar you can buy that when dogs howl/cry/bark when left alone either vibrates or gives a small shock & its supposedly meant to stop them?? Anyone know if this is correct?? I personally hate the thought of it, please correct me if I'm wrong!! Any advices xxx
Laura frize
Laura frize
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Support total : 6

Back to top Go down

Vibrating collar for separation anxiety  Empty Re: Vibrating collar for separation anxiety

Post by Guest Tue Jun 18 2013, 14:32

I wouldn't use it for that. Anxiety is likely to become worse if you couple it with a negative stimulus - the shock/vibration/noise.

The best way to treat separation anxiety, IMO, is to expose the dog to separation a little bit at a time. Leave the house for 30 seconds, then come back in. Increase the time you spent out of the house gradually. Separation anxiety is basically due to the dog thinking that you're not coming back - he misses you. If he realises that you're going to come back each time, he won't need to get worked up about it. Smile

You could also try leaving the radio or television on in the background for some comfort.

Back to top Go down

Vibrating collar for separation anxiety  Empty Re: Vibrating collar for separation anxiety

Post by Guest Tue Jun 18 2013, 16:27

As Eleanor said defo not a vibrating collar sounds awful Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 18 2013, 16:31

Definitely don't use one for that! You'll actually make it worse.

Seperation anxiety can only be 'cured' by taking things a little at a time, as Eleanor said.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sazzle Tue Jun 18 2013, 20:28

I agree, definitely don't use one.
Sazzle
Sazzle
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Daisy
Dog(s) Ages : 3 ish
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 2451

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 18 2013, 22:06

Definitely no, it'll make it worse, use Eleanor's advice to tackle the separation anxiety Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Laura frize Tue Jun 18 2013, 22:28

I 100% will not be using one or buying one as I don't like the sound of it I just wanted other people's opinions on it, yes we are doing the leaving for 2mins then going back etc its mainly when I leave him or both leave him he gets upset & beside himself, he cries for me even when the other half is at home with him xx
Laura frize
Laura frize

Status Status :

Support total : 6

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down