Who's at fault?

3 posters

Go down

Who's at fault? Empty Who's at fault?

Post by Nor Cal Tue Jun 11 2013, 22:01

I just got back from a walk with Bacon and he got scratched and bit by another dog and I wanted to review and get some opinions.

First off both Bacon and the other dog were on-lead. After the other owner asked if it was ok for them to greet both dogs being about the same age were eager to get to each other. As he usually does, Bacon walks up to the other dog and they get in each other's face and he stiffens up, stands still, and sticks his head way high. I believe that his behavior is bad manners if I remember dog body language correctly. Well, the other dog being bigger put both her paws on Bacon's head. She then backed of showed her teeth and nipped him in the ear. Instead of backing off, Bacon gave a slight growl and tried to lunge back. We pulled our dogs apart and I had Bacon lie down, and we walked off.

Does this sound like Bacon was too pushy and caused the other dog to bite him? Or, was the other dog completely wrong in going after him like that.

Since we get this reaction from 50% of the dogs we meet, I feel that a lot of times Bacon is too in your face with other dogs. I'm not quite sure on how I remedy that because if another dog reacts to him it only seems to incentivate him more instead of making him back off.

I know that Bacon is not aggressive because he has never been the first to growl and has never even attempted to snap or bite another dog, but he does seem to be an alpha and does seems to not ever want to be the submissive of the two dogs. In general, he is very playful with dogs that can take his sometimes rough, persistent, and annoying play style! Laughing

Sorry to make this post so long. I have the tendency to ramble on... Just wanted to get some input on what everyone's opinion of this situation is, and if Bacon is to blame is there a way to make him more well mannered, or is this just something that will always be this way with him and I just have to deal with it?
Nor Cal
Nor Cal
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Bacon
Dog(s) Ages : Born 3/24/12
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 26

Back to top Go down

Who's at fault? Empty Re: Who's at fault?

Post by Guest Tue Jun 11 2013, 22:21

I'd try to introduce the dogs side by side if you can so that eye contact isn't made directly. If Bacon is eyeballing the other dog it's bound to start something! The stiffening is also a sign that will aggravate other dogs.

You could try asking the other owner if you can walk along together for a couple of minutes before any proper introduction is made - it might help to calm him down a little.

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathan Tue Jun 11 2013, 22:24

very close to my heart as marley is just the same, he will stand tall and raise his tail over his back looking uber confident and side up to them if they dont bow down to him the lil git
some dogs will take it others will hate it, best thing i have found is to spin marley around and let the other dog sniff his butt which is submissive.
as he has trust in me he will let me dictate the situation everytime and although he looks like hes licking pee of a nettel he will begrudginly go through with it and his tail will start wagging in a few seconds.
Nathan
Nathan
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Marley and Laska
Dog(s) Ages : 30/08/2011 Marley 03/05/12 Laska
Dog Gender(s) : Male Marley Female Laska
Support total : 626

Back to top Go down

Post by Nor Cal Tue Jun 11 2013, 22:26

Thanks Caryll, that makes sense. When I look back, every walk that Bacon has gone on side by side has gone really well.

Obviously you can't always walk side by side with other dogs especially if you are passing and going in different directions. In this situation where I don't intend to walk along should I just avoid the face to face greet altogether?
Nor Cal
Nor Cal

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Nor Cal Tue Jun 11 2013, 22:28

Also interesting Nathan. Seems that Marley can be just a stubborn and pushy as Bacon! Laughing
Nor Cal
Nor Cal

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 11 2013, 22:30

I'd always try to introduce side by side. If it's head on & you have a bolshy dog there will always be problems.

I would never turn Dempsey for the other dog to sniff as it would be sure to start a fight - he wouldn't put up with that at all! Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathan Tue Jun 11 2013, 22:42

I have two very diff dogs, marley likes to think he is top dog but will back down quick and go into play mode as soon as i spin him, still a pup really. whereas laska is in play mode 24/7 as fun as that sounds the poor lass cant see no bad in anything, a dog can be snarling at her and she is still play bowing it Rolling Eyes tbh i'm not sure how to work on that its a hard situation to be in. I get your drift with spinning a bull terrior caryll, independant, strong minded and built like a brick * house lol no wonder he feels like top dog...he most likley is. love em to bits though
Nathan
Nathan

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Marley and Laska
Dog(s) Ages : 30/08/2011 Marley 03/05/12 Laska
Dog Gender(s) : Male Marley Female Laska
Support total : 626

Back to top Go down

Post by Nor Cal Tue Jun 11 2013, 22:50

I don't think Bacon would mind me turning him around and letting another dog sniff his but, I just don't know if I'd be able to turn him around seeing as he would be too excited to turn away from the other dog.
Nor Cal
Nor Cal

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 12 2013, 01:17

He's definitely trying to show dominate behaviour with that body language.

My chance is exactly the same, but as he tends to be bigger then the other dog, the other backs down (chance is one who won't back down) and then they meet with a more relaxed state between them.

We do get the odd dog who tries it on, but chance is very intimidating and gets his own way. But I don't let them meet until both dogs have relaxed and have stopped squaring off to each other so to speak

Back to top Go down

Post by brutusindubai Thu Jun 13 2013, 06:08

I noticed you say that Bacon is eager to meet other dogs. When this happens, is he pulling on his lead showing signs of heightened excitement? If so, I posted something similar the other day as our dog Brutus gets excited when he sees a potential play mate and for that reason he was rejected from a play group. 
When we approach another dog, and he gets all excited, we turn 180 degrees and walk in the other direction until he is loose lead walking/walking to heel. Once he has calmed down, we then turn 180 again and walk towards the other dog. If he pulls, we start all over again. If he remains on a loose lead, lots of praise and treats for his good behaviour. During his training walk lat night, by the fourth dog he knew not to pull and he walked side by side with his training dog for 45 mins. This may help to reduce bacons excitement as well
brutusindubai
brutusindubai

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Brutus
Dog(s) Ages : 1 year, woo hoo
Dog Gender(s) : Dog
Support total : 13

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down