Puppy training

Go down

Puppy training Empty Puppy training

Post by Fraz_watt Tue May 21 2013, 22:44

Im looking For some advice before I get my pup in a couple of weeks, any advise and help would be great, is sit the first command to start with? Moving on to lying down and stay? Also I was going to start getting him used to walking on a lead in the house, what is the best way to start with that and getting him to walk with a slack lead? Im new to all this and have done some reading on this but would like some advise from the experts Big Grin Thanks

Fraz_watt
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Engaged
Dogs Name(s) : Bailey
Dog(s) Ages : 31/3/2013
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Puppy training Empty Re: Puppy training

Post by Guest Tue May 21 2013, 23:33

I didn't teach Loki 'lie down' for a few months. I trained him to sit first, then to stay and come, to give his paw, to leave it/drop it, and etc. You can do several training sessions a day, just remember to keep them short and always end on a positive note, before the puppy gets bored.

Definitely get him used to the collar and lead in the house. I let Loki drag the lead around (and chew it Rolling Eyes) before we took him out, and would teach him to walk on it in the yard. So by the time we went outside for his first walk, he wasn't perfect, but there wasn't too much messing about with the lead. The best methods are to either stop as soon as he starts pulling, then call him back to you so you can carry on again (don't pull back on the lead, just stop), or to change direction as soon as he pulls. Takes a while to get anywhere for a while, but they pick it up after a while Smile

Back to top Go down