White pooch & the sun

3 posters

Go down

White pooch & the sun Empty White pooch & the sun

Post by Mrs McFisher Tue May 07 2013, 14:20

Hi, was wondering if anyone has a white dog and if they take precautions against sunburn?
I have googled this and it states that they should be protected by putting sun cream on.
Louby has dodgy skin, so can just slather any old lotion on her, does anyone else have this problem and what do you use?
We only got Lou in Nov, and havent had a white dog before, so don't want to appear thick.

I imagine is same as i suppose, don't go out with her in the hottest part of the day etc..
Mrs McFisher
Mrs McFisher
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
White pooch & the sun Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Louby
Dog(s) Ages : 6th May 2012
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 18

Back to top Go down

White pooch & the sun Empty Re: White pooch & the sun

Post by Kathy Tue May 07 2013, 14:31

I've never had a white dog, but it would make sense to me to take some kind of precaution such as using sun cream to avoid her getting sunburn.

As Rocky is black and does absorb the heat I also avoid the heat of the day wherever possible, I have been taking him out early in the mornings and later on in the evenings.
Kathy
Kathy
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue May 07 2013, 14:38

I'm the same not had a white dog, sorry, but darcy in dark furred and gets over heated so I've even doing early mornings & late evenings too, hopefully someone will pop along soon with some advice Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue May 07 2013, 14:44

Used to have a dog with a lot of white. We used to put sun cream on her nose and ears. She had very bad skin problems too, but she was OK with the one we used. Can't say what it was, sorry, this was 10+ years ago. I'd stick to taking her out when it's a bit cooler so she avoids the worst parts of the heat, but see if you can find sun cream for sensitive skin if you can. If not, I don't think a bit of it will bother her Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue May 07 2013, 14:48

Simple make a none perfumed sun cream which I use on myself, may be worth a try Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs McFisher Tue May 07 2013, 14:50

Makes sense to probably get cream used for a kids - they are usually sensitive?.
Mrs McFisher
Mrs McFisher
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
White pooch & the sun Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Louby
Dog(s) Ages : 6th May 2012
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 18

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue May 07 2013, 15:17

Vinny has quiet a bit of white. We have always been advised to use a kids' sunscreen that is fragrance-free and has less chemicals. We do get dog specific sun screens here but the pups tend to hate the smell of it. I lather on Vinny's white parts and Roxy's underside as well as she has very little fur on her tum. It works pretty well. On mega hot days I try to keep them out of the sun, but with us going into winter it is far more pleasant out in the winter sun than inside, so they are getting adequate protection now.

I was also advised that if they do get burnt to rub the inside of a potato skin on the burn to soothe it. Haven't tried it myself but sounds interesting!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue May 07 2013, 17:50

My two are white dogs Smile

I use coconut oil as it's a natural sun cream whilst being good for their skin, if we are outside in the sun for long periods Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by shazzarella Tue May 14 2013, 12:48

I have a white staffy, he is still a pup but a knew he had to be sun creamed before going out in hot weather. I use my kids one on him from the Avon seems to be doing the trick. There is also two sensitive sun creams that I know of E45&simple :-)

shazzarella
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue May 14 2013, 14:38

I use a kids sunscreen on Lola when I can get some on her, she hates creams and will roll around on the grass or carpet to try and get it off. Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat May 25 2013, 11:03

Bailey is practically all white, though becoming progressively spottier with age. Nevertheless using some kind of cream on a sunny day is important because she will otherwise become red raw in parts; most notably just inside her ears but quite a lot on her nose as well.

Apart from the initial discomfort this can lead to skin cancer and a dog trainer who works with the RSPCA told me she sees a lot of white dogs who have had their ears cropped after developing skin cancer, so in short yes please do remember to use a sun cream on bright sunny days if outdoors for half an hour or more.

We have found the thick factor 60 cream for kids is excellent and use a water resistant variety that you'll find in practically any supermarket during the summer. Since staffies love to sunbathe it's a good idea to rub some on their stomach as well. Our one just knows we put cream on now when it's sunny and is remarkably patient but it only takes a couple of minutes at most.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down